What's new

Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video

proxy.php

Love it! Just the thing for us straight rookies. Well done! :thumbup:

It's helpful for me, too, and I've been doing this for a couple of years.

To quote Sally Fields's 1985 Oscar acceptance speech:

"You like me ... you really like me":blushing:

Thanks for sharing and this has been really helpful since I too just started using a Straight Razor.
Also, thank you for the sponge idea. I have been using it and it works great!

+1 to all the previous positives and then you go and show the alum block thing for better gripping of slippery facial skin! Gotta get me one of those. They beat the styptic pencil by a mile.

thanks for your video and congratulations for your experience.

I don't straight shave for now, but my first Dovo is on its way :w00t:
I have a question regarding stretching the skin, I know that unlike DE shaving it is very important to stretch the skin.

But I see on your video that you stretch on parts of your face where the lather was and I wondering how do you do to avoid a slippery skin ?

hope my question is clear enough :confused1

thanks for your video and congratulations for your experience.

I don't straight shave for now, but my first Dovo is on its way :w00t:
I have a question regarding stretching the skin, I know that unlike DE shaving it is very important to stretch the skin.

But I see on your video that you stretch on parts of your face where the lather was and I wondering how do you do to avoid a slippery skin ?

hope my question is clear enough :confused1

If you wet your fingers and rub them on an alum block, it gives you great traction. It's an old barber's trick.

What a great video! I love how well you know your face -- the shave is effortless! And those razors... :001_tt1:

Nice video!

Just got my first straight and just by acting like I was going to shave I'm already seeing differences in techniques I didn't see yesterday.

The other great tip I picked was to lather my face before stropping and then wash and re-lather after stropping. Seems to work better, at least for me, as opposed to shower and then lather and shave. Will try the alum block too.

If you wet your fingers and rub them on an alum block, it gives you great traction. It's an old barber's trick.

I use the alum block when i'm shaving customers it works great. I will use the sponge thats a great idea we use paper . we first store the lather in the palm of our hand then wipe on paper towel. I will use a large sponge next time .

I use the alum block when i'm shaving customers it works great. I will use the sponge thats a great idea we use paper . we first store the lather in the palm of our hand then wipe on paper towel. I will use a large sponge next time .

Gary, I didn't know you were a barber. That's so cool!

Superb video :thumbup:
Really helpful & pleasing to watch.

Congratulations & best wishes for another 30 great years of straight shaving!

Gary, I didn't know you were a barber. That's so cool!

Yes i have been a barber 22 years . I only started wet shaving clients 5 years ago. I started shaving my self with straights 4 years ago. I have a turkish chap straight from turkey working for me so i have adopted the turkish methods. he taught me the how to put lather in my palm of hand . He introduced me to the alum block trick. It realy works as you no.

Chimensch, as I watched your video closely, I noticed that you appear to slightly "slide" the blade horizontally as you make your strokes (as in a "slicing" motion). I would imagine that this technique significantly enhances the "cutability" of the edge because you are performing more of a slicing action instead of a chopping action. I have watched several shaving demonstrations, and yours is the first in which I've noticed the slicing motion.

I'm curious whether you are actually intentionally doing it, or if it is just part of "how you shave". Was it taught to you by some ancient "shaving guru" or did you come up with it on your own.

Thanks for the video. It is truly outstanding.

Top Bottom