What's new

Chernobyl

Just finished this fine HBO series. I learned a few things. Never knew about the three divers. And the series follow-up comments disclosed that amazingly two of the three divers are still alive today. Wow! I figured those guys would've been toast in a matter of a few months at most.

I spotted GoT's Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton). But there were several other GoT alumni who I didn't recognize as such.
Hey! It's That Guy! All the Actors From 'Game of Thrones' and 'The Terror' Who Showed Up on 'Chernobyl'

For @tube_guy or anyone who's interested in the technology behind nuclear power you might want to check out Nova - The Nuclear Option, Miles O'Brien reviews what happen with the meltdown at Fukushima but also some of the next generation reactor designs and their inherent safety features.
I saw that, it was great.
I like the notion of reactors that use existing stockpiles of spent fuel.
Also the modular systems that can serve remote population centres. Next time you drive by a high-voltage transmission line, consider all the real estate that it takes up, suitable only for grazing cattle.
proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There is a small museum in Louisiana (iirc) that documents the history and development of the landing craft used on D-Day and elsewhere in WW2.

A number of years ago, that gave way to an enormous and quite amazing WWII museum in New Orleans (which is where those landing craft, a.k.a. "Higgins boats") were manufactured.

I finally got around to finishing the series this week as well. Always a story I've found both fascinating and alarming. That it happened before my time may add to the intrigue. I'd like to listen to the podcast now.

I also watched a PBS documentary a few days ago about the construction of the new containment structure; super interesting. Called "Building Chernobyl's Megatomb" and is on Netflix. Highly recommend.

Finished this last week. Excellent show. It was a little depressing to see some topics being distorted for dramatic effect but hey, it's not a documentary.

Top Bottom