What's new

Checking in. Lost Mild Razor + Aggressive Trial = Going Nuts

Dreaded. I have always been more of a "jewelry guy" than a comb and cologne guy. Now if I ever learn (or believe) these really make a difference (not process, end result), I will be in trouble for sure.

Good advice. I suppose one should refrain from allowing too much logic to spoil the journey. Just don't lose sight of sanity in the process.
@BigJ Good advice. @BrandX For me the women in my life often make the final determination if a scent makes it. Either Soap, AS, Cologne and for them it makes a big to huge difference.

Reactions: Kix
Yep, lots of great choices out there.
But if you have the feather and the games changers, I would suggest sticking with the one that works best until you hone in your skills. Consistency matters, also be sure you have a good pre-shave, during shave and post shave process to protect your face and lessen the skin stress...Consider also making a shave map of you face so you understand the stubbles growth paths...

Cheers..
BFX

Yep, lots of great choices out there.
Agreed. I just hadn't felt then need to look until forced to do so. Blackbird was different (beautiful too) and in the process experienced something very new. It has been returned and I have settled down to enjoy my Feather again.

... I would suggest sticking with the one that works best until you hone in your skills.
I have used the Feather for many years without issues. The Gamechanger is also nice. It will be my travel razor. I would have liked to try your advice with the Blackbird to see if a delicate, controlled hand could have had a satisfying end effect. That is me being curious, up for the challenge. Logically however, I don't feel I can do better than what I have: ease, comfort, and a quality shave.

I went fishing today. Tried new lures. Had some luck. But I switched to those I have experience with and had better results. It wasn't the lure so much as my experience using them.

Good advice - Thanks.

Update:

As I stated in the opening of this thread, I tried the Blackbird and was perplexed in the process and ended up returning it. The next day there was regret; I wasn't patient enough getting to know the razor and adapting my technique (as Shane states is necessary) to the razor. Although I am thrilled to get another AS-D2, I was left wondering if I would have enjoyed using the BB had I given it more time. So, I purchased the Blackbird (again) - this time a SS version as I am used to heavier razors.

My assessment is ongoing, but I have already concluded I can shave with it with similar (and sometimes better) results to the Feather + Feather blade. By this, I mean closeness of shave and low-level of irritation. I doubt my techniques has vastly improve, or using a heavier razor did the trick. I suspect the blade choice may be a factor.

After reading accounts here of people using a variety of blades with success, I tried some blades that are not considered the sharpest - Gillette Silver Blue and Treet Platinum. These combinations did seem to pull/drag in the denser sections of my stubble compared to the Feather combo, but the end result was stellar. The last two days I shaved 1/2 my face with Feather + Feather and the other side with BB (next day switch sides). I then use alum block to assist with the evaluation. I will continue learning this razor, but I am much happier this time around, getting BBS and low-level irritation.

I will keep the angel on one side and the devil on the other to keep the shave interesting.

Thanks to site and member accounts, I feel I have learned much over the last month. Have new soaps too, so enjoying the journey!

Top Bottom