What's new

Checking in from KS

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I’d been shaving with Gillette Fusions and various and sundry predecessor multi-blade razors for time out of mind when I stumbled into DE shaving a few weeks ago (just before Thanksgiving). How that came about was the result of trying to kick an addiction to The Art of Shaving products, the pricing and packaging of which I have some issues with. I picked up a tub of Cella cream/soap in a funky store in Lawrence, KS, this past summer and liked it well enough to go back for another, but the store had discontinued stocking it. So I looked to see if I could find any Cella on amazon.com, which unexpectedly opened up a whole new world. I’m 58 and shaved for the first time in ’67, yet somehow managed never to try a DE razor a single time before November of this year. References to several DE razors in Cella, Omega, and Prorasa product reviews made me curious to learn more about this apparent alternative to multi-blade madness, and after a little research I took the plunge and ordered a Merkur Futur (which connects to a story for another post). I really liked the idea of breaking the $16 per 4-pack habit.

My face looked like a bloody battlefield at the conclusion of the first shave with the Futur loaded with a Derby blade; nevertheless, I emerged from the experience with a sense of triumph. (My wife, on the other hand, was dubious about the DE venture.) The second shave was considerably less gory. After a couple more, I was struck with the inspiration to retrieve a box of my dad’s personal effects from storage and find an old razor I had noticed with some (premonitory?) interest when I came into possession of his things a few years ago. It turned out to be a pre-’49 Tech, which I’m pretty sure was my grandpa’s at some point. I cleaned it up and put it to the test with a Feather blade. (I switched from Derbys to Feathers after about 5 blades.) That was my first bloodless shave and a satisfyingly close one as well. There was no turning back from there. I hit eBay and landed a ’59 Fatboy, which I shaved with last night. This morning a ’53-54 British Rocket arrived in the mail. It delivered my closest -- if not the most relaxed -- shave yet, and at the cost of only two very minor nicks.

What I think I’ve learned so far are 1) the key to a bloodless shave is a light touch and 2) what enables the lightest possible touch is a very sharp blade (I cut myself less with fresh Feathers than Derbys) combined with good prep. I know my razor technique has a great deal of room for improvement, but I suspect gaining better mastery of prep (particularly lather making) is the more important goal for achieving consistent results and progress in the near term.

Shaving used to be drudgery. I can’t believe how much I look forward to it now. It’s amazing.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!:thumbup1:

And yes, you have found what I have believed in for ages, that Feathers, being so sharp, actually work in your favour for learning correct technique.:thumbup1:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
[FONT=&amp]I'm up to 20-25 DE shaves now (wish I'd kept a log from the start) and have only had three memorably bad ones in terms of cuts, nicks, and weepers. The worst was the first. I just dove in without reading or watching anything instructional beforehand. When I got done, it seemed that I bled from everywhere, although I really hadn't cut myself badly anywhere. Somehow I wasn't discouraged at all, the opposite actually. The second shave surprisingly went much better (maybe 3-4 nicks). I did use a fresh blade for it. Now I'm thinking I used a Trig that came with the Merkur for the first shave and put in a Derby for the second.

The second bad shave was with about the 4th or 5th Feather. I only did two shaves each with the first few. Then I pushed one to 4 to see how it would do. I butchered myself. At first I blamed the dullness of the blade for forcing me to apply a too-heavy hand. But I downloaded the Kindle version of LeisureGuy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving over the course of the next few days, and after skimming the section on prep, I wondered if a big (possibly the biggest) part of my problem in that shave and more generally was clueless inconsistency in making and applying lather. The only reason I had a brush was that one came in a sample collection of The Art of Shaving products, and I wasn't doing much more with the Cella and Prorasa solid creams than I'd done with The Art of Shaving cream, which was to get some on my wetted brush and spread it around on my face. I kinda pretended to make some lather, but it was like my 3-year old niece making tea.

How many good shaves should I get out of a Feather? I'd rather have a great and enjoyable shave with a sharp one than sacrifice pleasure for the sake of frugality. But I also hate to be wasteful.

I also wonder if my technique -- even though I try to maintain as light a touch as possible -- may contribute to dulling the edge on Feathers prematurely. When I shaved with multi-blades, I never did a WTG pass. I always shaved against the grain (or in some places across the grain), using lots of fast, very short (I'd say 1/4-1/2") overlapping (often repeating) strokes. So I only did one pass but covered every square inch with multiple ATG strokes. I now do two passes (one with and one against grain), excepting the 3rd memorably bad shave, in which I attempted four passes per a post I read somewhere in the forums here. (Again, I don't know whether my problem was the number of passes or poor prep; however, the blade was new). I use fairly long strokes in the WTG pass, but still fall into the short, overlapping/repeating stroke "method" when I cut against or across the grain. The difference in comparison to what I did when shaving with a multi-blade razor is that now my short strokes are pretty slow and much lighter and more consciously deliberate. Is that bad technique?

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Sorry for the long post (again). Please let me know if I should have put it somewhere else.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]K
[/FONT]

Welcome!
I think I have seen around here that the consensus on the lifetime of a feather is about 4 shaves or so. I have only been at this for a few months and I'm still working through my sample pack. I have used a feather twice now. The first time I managed to get about 7 shaves out of it, which surprised me. The second time it was 4.

Blades are so cheap I never push the number of shaves. I use Feathers & Med Preps exclusively, both of which cost me about $0.30 a blade. If I stretch them from 3 shaves to 4 shaves I save two & a half cents ($0.10 vs $0.075). Right now I'm sufficiently secure to spend the extra $0.17 a week. With a fresh blade I find the chance of a nick is much lower as the razor does all the work so there's little tugging and no reason to apply any pressure whatsoever.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Welcome!
I think I have seen around here that the consensus on the lifetime of a feather is about 4 shaves or so. I have only been at this for a few months and I'm still working through my sample pack. I have used a feather twice now. The first time I managed to get about 7 shaves out of it, which surprised me. The second time it was 4.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect I'm wearing them out prematurely with a combo of suboptimal prep and inefficient technique. My 2nd (ATG) pass may be the practical equivalent or 3-4 passes in itself after adding up all the short, overlapping strokes. I don't necessarily want to shave like everyone else does, but I do want to shave well (which is to say enjoyably, effectively, efficiently and bloodlessly).

I suppose I should probably watch a video of someone doing it the "right way". I'm not sure why I haven't yet. Could be a hangup about going into a bathroom when some other guy only wearing a towel is already in it.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks for the reply. The last bad addiction I had involved banjos. They also have shiny parts, and there is a similar Holy Grail mystique that drives pursuit of the perfect instrument. But razors are less expensive to collect, don’t take up as much space, and my wife doesn’t object to the sound they make (moreover, at times I suspect it may please her to see me bleed).

Welcome aboard the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Welcome from a fellow Kansan! Once you get the Razor Acquisition bug, a couple of the antique stores in downtown Lawrence usually have at least a few vintage Gillettes in good condition for a good price.

What I think I’ve learned so far are 1) the key to a bloodless shave is a light touch and 2) what enables the lightest possible touch is a very sharp blade (I cut myself less with fresh Feathers than Derbys) combined with good prep. I know my razor technique has a great deal of room for improvement, but I suspect gaining better mastery of prep (particularly lather making) is the more important goal for achieving consistent results and progress in the near term.

Shaving used to be drudgery. I can’t believe how much I look forward to it now. It’s amazing.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your shave!

I rarely cut myself with the Feathers in my EJ DE89L. As for the Derbies... oh man, didn't like them at all!

Welcome to the group. Always good to see more Kansans doing the wetshave thing! I agree about using a blade too much. If it feel any tugging, I replace it. I use Derbys and I can get 4 shaves out of it. It's cheap enough and some of the vendors like thesuperiorshave.com have free shipping, so blades are something I don't mind replacing often.

Top Bottom