What's new

Check out this find. Antiquing in Beantown

Hey everyone.
I posted in the General section about some toys I found today in Boston.
However, the best find was the straight that came with my Allegro Mod. Flexible Hone/strop.
Whoever sold it to the antique store sold it with their razor, which does not go with the original hone. There is "space for your razor" in the box, but the razor was included at no charge.
Anyway, it is Widerstrahl, Solingen - model A718type. I believe it is 6/8. Very little, if any hone wear. It looks barely used. A couple small rust spots but other than that its it is reallly perty. The pins are tight, and the scales haven't a scratch. A nice logo with a star of david and a flag are etched into the top of the blade.
I tried to take pictures but my camera is lacking.
proxy.php

proxy.php
[/IMG]
proxy.php

Anyway, any info on this razor? I paid about 35 bucks for the hone/strop and the razor. I would appreciate thoughts.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about the maker either but at $35 that is a great deal! Get it honed up and let us know how it shaves!

So nobody can tell me anything about Widerstrahl? I can't seem to find anything on google at all about the make.
I would love to know when it was made.
I think it's interesting that there is a star of David on a German razor.
I'm guessing it must have been pre-WWII?

That is a nice find. I have no idea about the maker, but it looks like a lot of care went in to it's creation, which in my book says it should be a great razor!

What were the hone and strop that came with it like?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88306

It's an "Allegro Mod. Flexible 200"
It looks to be quite old (40's?)
Can't find much on it. But it plus the razor was 35 bucks.
The "space for your razor' included the Widerstrahl. An oversight by the antique shop owner, perhaps.
A steal if you ask me.
I applied some oil to the leather on the Allegro and it came back to life. A nice draw on it. The hone side, I have no idea what material it is, but its not stone. I think it's some kind of ceramic or some kind of smooth wood. Perhaps for a paste.
I have no idea.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom