What's new

cheapest way to lap a hone ?

Just get the norton lapping stone its $25
I ended up buying the Norton lapping stone because I had the problem of pieces of grit from the wet/dry paper getting embedded in the hone because it is so porous. Keep in mind that the lapping stone itself also needs to be lapped occasionally. For this reason, many people use a DMT to lap their Nortons. Also, the Norton stone cannot be used to lap natural stones, like the coticule, but natural stones do not have the same problem of picking up grit from the wet/dry paper. I once used the Norton lapping stone to lap a coticule that was very dished. It ended up in a tie: while it did remove a lot of coticule, the lapping stone itself got dished so I ended finishing lapping the coticule on the wet/dry paper and then lapping the Norton stone, too.

Whoa... my last post vanished. But it was basically what chimensch said with more snark probably.

If you are thinking about getting the noron 4k/8k, look on amazon for the combo deal that also includes the 220/1k and lapping stone.

Are any of you guys using a single DMT for both lapping and bad edge repair? If so, is it a 325? Interrupted surface or regular?

I have been lapping a antique mall find, a corundum 1000 hone. I have it to the point pencil erases evenly, but there is a small discolored spot still. Should I keep lapping or am I done?

Phil

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Are any of you guys using a single DMT for both lapping and bad edge repair? If so, is it a 325? Interrupted surface or regular?

Yes. I use a 1.2k Atoma. It works very well.

The cheapest way to lap hones is to go out with a container with water and lap it with the curb stone.
You must find one which is flat. :)

proxy.php

I do not know about law in your country and will not be responsible if you are caught by police but this method is taught in Japan.

Cheapest? Sandpaper on something flat. Easiest? A DMT 325. It doubles as a coarse hone for serious chip removal, is fast, and doesn't contamine your hones with grit. So I would get a DMT C as I have the money to do so.

Yes. I use a 1.2k Atoma. It works very well.

Luc, I looked at these last night. I like the metal base and the replaceable plate.

My question is, 1200 is a good bit higher grit than I have read about people using to lap a stone. Does it take a long time to lap with this one?

Thanks for the info.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Luc, I looked at these last night. I like the metal base and the replaceable plate.

My question is, 1200 is a good bit higher grit than I have read about people using to lap a stone. Does it take a long time to lap with this one?

Thanks for the info.

It probably take around 10-15 seconds to create a slurry. Last time I tried to lap the stone, maybe 20-30 seconds...

It probably take around 10-15 seconds to create a slurry. Last time I tried to lap the stone, maybe 20-30 seconds...

Oh... very good then. Thanks for the reply. I guess these work well for edge repair as well then? What is the best place to buy these?

Seeing I used 4 whole packages of wet/dry sand paper (16 sheets) to lap one side of this used corundum those lapping plates look a whole lot less expensive.

Phil

Top Bottom