What's new

Cheap eats

Another vote for pho.....there's a little place on the south side of town clled Dai Loi where I get my pho fix. Dirt cheap, lunch is about $5-6. I like mine with rare beef, meatballs, and lots of cilantro.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Spaghetti Meatballs
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Lasagna

With garlic butter, it's awesome!

Pinto beans tortillas, Cochinita Pibil in tortillas or served on rice (see Once upon a time in Mexico extra features with Robert Rodriguez to know how to make Puerco Pibil).

There's a middle-aged woman with a street side stand in front of the Mexican embassy between Park and Madison where she sells homemade tamales for about $1.50 each. The cheese and chicken are terrific, although Spanish speaking people are often allowed to cut ahead of the gringos on line. But the lady and her children who sometimes help are nice enough, and the food is worth the wait.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There's a middle-aged woman with a street side stand in front of the Mexican embassy between Park and Madison where she sells homemade tamales for about $1.50 each.

Cross street?

max payne said:
The cheese and chicken are terrific, although Spanish speaking people are often allowed to cut ahead of the gringos on line. But the lady and her children who sometimes help are nice enough, and the food is worth the wait.

Whenever I'm the victim of this sort of blatant racism, I make sure to report the offender to the dept. of health. :thumbdown

My favorite cheap eats are either a hot dog from Gene & Jude's in River Grove, IL, or an Italian Beef sandwich from Jay's in Schiller Park, IL.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
NY: Roasted Pork on Rice at Big Wongs in Chinatown ....or any Halal cart for some chicken/lamb and rice with hotsauce and white sauce.

El Paso: Chico's Tacos

Tucson: Waffle House

San Antonio: Gangis Kahn Noodle Bar

We like chili dogs. Oscar Meyer weiners, decent canned chili, chopped onions, mustard, and ketchup. Doesn't cost much, easy to fix, and good.

Tim

My wife makes a fantastic spaghetti, very filling, cheap to make and we usually get at least four or five meals out of it. When the weather gets cooler, I'm a big fan of homemade comfort food too. Pinto beans and ham hocks with homemade corn bread, meat loaf, home made beef stew, etc. There's a place not far from my house that makes a respectable Philly Cheese Steak and another, literally a stones throw away that makes meatball subs and Italian sausage, pepper and onion sandwiches. There's also a Mom and Pop Cuban place closer to my work with some killer food black beans and rice, deviled crab, grouper sandwiches, pressed cuban sandwiches, mojo pork, etc.

I make a spicey ham and 15 bean soup in 8 quart batches to take in to work from time to time. It has been gone in under two hours and has lasted as long as four. Only four ingredients, if you count the water, and less work than making a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese. Throw in hot water cornbread, and collards for good measure and you have made some serious comfort food.

I also love homemade potato soup, skin on and lots of black pepper and butter. Its great with homemade rolls or bread.

$5 Thali plates at the near by Indian place includes either channa masala or dahl, and two random sides (can be anything from cahshews and paneer to eggplant to potatoes or cauliflour, all curried in great gravy) and rice, salad and your choice of either naan, chapati, or puri bread. On a giant stainless steel sectioned plate.

For $7 you can go to the place next door and have the same deal, but with meat options, but since I grew up on veg indian food, I've got a soft spot, plus the owner remembers me each time I come in and we get great service.

+ one for Pho and I would add chicken Pho. Actually, almost anything Vietnamese would fit. We also have great Tai, Korean and Chinese here at very low prices. However, for value you cannot beat the local place that sell Vietnamese sub sandwiches for $2.50!

Dave

Slaw dawgs - basically a chili dog topped with cole slaw, cheese, and mustard. Homemade, unless i'm in West Virginia (the only state I've been where you can go out and get a good slaw dawg).

WE LEARNED THAT HAMBURGER HELPER IS STILL PRETTY GOOD WITHOUT THE HAMBURGER.....

proxy.php

My home made chili that is either Italian sausage, Rabbit or Deer meat in the chili.

A burger joint down in Kansas City called LC's. Its good stuff. Orders cooked to order and on a grill that hasn't been replaced since it was put in. Grilled bacon fat gets into the burgers as they cook. Fried onions in the bacon fat. A heart attack waiting to happen but soooooo yummy.

Another home made dish is Bush's Bold and Spicy beans with rice and Italian sweet sausage. Throw in some fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.

Another thing is to cook a 1 lb of sausage. I prefer the sweet Italian sausage and cook it up. Drain most of that fat out and then add saurkraut and diced red potato's. Let the potato's get soft. By the way add the juice from the kraut so that it can simmer.

Way to many places and home made dishes that is good to eat.

One could swing by a nearby motel that serves breakfast included with the night's stay. They never seem to check if you're actually a guest.:biggrin:

Top Bottom