What's new

cheap but decent watch?

My first obsesion is watches. I love them I like real watches no battery powered quartz or digital wannabe watches. I like manual wind or automatic. If I may I too would suggest a Seiko Auto 5 Great watch Mine runs fast about 3-5 seconds a day. I'm never late! JMTC

I actually just ordered a pair of Seiko 5's, not matching but similar (one for me and one for the wife).

get one of those old metal casios. it's the only watch i kind think of that is what you are describing for $50. if by chance you're in the market for a significantly better watch, I saw a maurice lacroix on gilt today for $300 or something. http://www.giltgroupe.com/invite/cdonaldson every once in a while they have more affordable watches, they had a nixon sale last week I thought too.

i picked up a very basic citizen echo-drive last year for around $70. looks nice and +1 on never needing to replace another battery

I lost my watch and need a quick replacement without worrying about buyer's remorse. Do you guys have any ideas for a watch for under $50 or so that will look decent for use in a professional setting?

I see your in NYC. In Woodside Queens just of the BQE there is the Bolivia factory story. It's not really a store but factory with a small store. They have amazing deals. I just got a knock around Marine Star that retails for $450 for $100. They had loads of brand new factory over runs for even less the $50 a great deal.

I too am an "affordable afficinado" when it comes to watches.

The Invicta 8926a can be found for @ $75. I've had mune for a year and love the watch so far.

I just read on watcuseek, that if you sign up for the newsletter at Orient USA, they will send you a coupon for 50% off. That will get you a very nice watch for your price range.

BTW - I just orderd a Blue Mako from the 'bay for $99 yesterday. Can't wait to get it.

I have a Timex quartz chrono that I bought in 2000 at K-mart for $50 and it's still running like a champ and looking good. I bought it when I started my first real tech job (that I still have) to replace my trusty old Timex Ironman in shirt-and-tie world. It's well made, screw-in caseback, screw-down crown, and stainless body. Never had a problem with it, and I think I replaced the battery once in the last 9 years.

You don't need to spend a lot for a good watch. I have mine on a brown strap right now and I love the look when paired with the black dial...

It's on the right in this group shot...
proxy.php

From back, clockwise....
G-shock on ham-handed ZULU conversion
Time Chrono
1979 Seiko 6309 on Maratac Zulu 2-ring
Citizen Chrono on Maratac "Bond" Nato

Last edited:
Another option is that Orent automoatic watches are very cheap on Amazon. I just got a very nice one for $33. I am very pleased with the puchase and feel I got a much better watch than I paid for. I went back to post it, but unfortunatly it is gone. It must of been a closeout. However, there as still automatic Orients as low as $50, and I still think that is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1254407944/ref=sr_st?rs=377110011&page=1&bbn=377110011&rh=n%3A377110011%2Cp_n_target_audience_browse-bin%3A379281011%2Cp_4%3AOrient%2Cn%3A%21378516011&sort=price

The nice thing about Oreint is that even though they have the basic Rolex copies, they also have some very original and attactive designs.

My watch:

proxy.php

Dave

I have a Timex quartz chrono that I bought in 2000 at K-mart for $50 and it's still running like a champ and looking good. I bought it when I started my first real tech job (that I still have) to replace my trusty old Timex Ironman in shirt-and-tie world. It's well made, screw-in caseback, screw-down crown, and stainless body. Never had a problem with it, and I think I replaced the battery once in the last 9 years.

You don't need to spend a lot for a good watch. I have mine on a brown strap right now and I love the look when paired with the black dial...

It's on the right in this group shot...
proxy.php

From back, clockwise....
G-shock on ham-handed ZULU conversion
Time Chrono
1979 Seiko 6309 on Maratac Zulu 2-ring
Citizen Chrono on Maratac "Bond" Nato

Nice looking Bond! I put my Invicta 8926 on the same (non-Nato) Maratc.

For affordable, great looking, awesome watches I'm going to have to go with the Citizen Eco Drives. I have had a titanium one for 11 years and it's been run over by a truck, dropped in a pot of boiling water, suffered a fall down the side of a mountain (while still attached to me) and the only part that I have had to replace was the crystal (it was scratched up all to hell.) Best watch I've ever had.

That's what I lost. It is a great watch.

I probably wounldn't recommend this watch for a "professional" setting, but I would HIGHLY recommend it for any one who wants a cheap watch that will last a long time. So here it is:
proxy.php

I have owned 2 of these and between the two they have lasted me 8 years. And both watches where lost not broken. The first watch lasted 6 years I wore it EVERY single day for 6 years, I even left it on while I took showers and swam. (don't worry I was young ~14 so this is excusable lol). Then I finally lost it while swimming in a river, the velco band had long been failing and it fell off and was swept away by the current. At the time I was a house painter, and I frequently cleaned the paint off of this watch with Mineral spirits (not recommended!!!!)
The second watch was lost in a move I was making from my dorm room by to my home for the summer.
I never changed the batteries in either watch, although in the secound watch I did replace the wrist band in order to prevent river loss-age.
So here is the watch for sale on Amazon, apperently it is called the:
Timex Ironman Triathlon #T62962
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Triathlon-Resistant-T62962/dp/B000B545CI

Thats my $0.02

Top Bottom