What's new

cheap but decent watch?

Another +1 for the Seiko 5. If you can't wait for shipping from Asia, or feel like a quartz watch is more to your liking, you might check out World of Watches. WOW might have some Seiko 5s in stock, too. I did purchase one from them once before.

Here's a couple of nice, plain, goe with any outfit kind of watches. A bit over your $50 range, but a very solid at $89.99 shipped.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=71454&rid=google
OR
http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=70053&rid=google

I have purchased a handful of watches from WOW. Their customer service has always been great, prices are usually very good, and the shipping times have been spot on. Also, they have a new promo where you can "make a reasonable offer" and they'll respond within a few minutes. I haven't done that, because I haven't been in the market for any timepieces for a while. But I'll bet you could get one of those watches for $79.99 shipped.

I know what you mean :biggrin:. But if I knew someone was basing their opinions of my professional ability and business effectiveness at least in part on the fact that I wore a G-shock with my suit I would severely question their judgement.

Ah, but if they are in a position to be judging you then it's not your questioning that matters!

This little known Danish watchmaker makes inexpensive and very elegant watches. What I like best about them is they are the antithesis of the current chunky/huge watch fashion. They are small, insanely thin and very light. I let people pick up my (<$100) Skagen titanium and people always comment that it doesn't feel real it's so light. Then I point out to them that it's practically an order of magnitude stronger than the stainless steel boat anchors they're wearing.

Check them out here: http://www.skagen.com/products/Men/Watch/All/1.fx

I get mine (they're cheap enough to have a half dozen or more) at a local clock store in Madison, WI, but I've seen them at Macy's and I think at a Nordstrums.

If you like bigger watches you can find some really elegant looking Invicta's for less than $100 too.

Find the Skagens here:

http://www.skagen.com/products/Men/Watch/All/1.fx (This website has prices quite a lot higher than I find in local stores though. I've never even seen one in person marked over $130, and I tend to buy in the $80-$100 range paying more for chronographs and titanium)

Last edited:
I really like a Skagen titanium that I got off ebay from about $40. They retail for 90-100 in AG Russell's catalog amongst other places. Has a very neat band, sort a thin knitted titanium. I have quite the problem with contact dermatitis and have never had a problem with the titanium vis-a-vis my skin. Finally, I managed to mangle the clasp once and I mailed it to their warranty department and it came back fixed and polished with a nice handwritten card--no charge.

This little known Danish watchmaker makes inexpensive and very elegant watches. What I like best about them is they are the antithesis of the current chunky/huge watch fashion. They are small, insanely thin and very light. I let people pick up my (<$100) Skagen titanium and people always comment that it doesn't feel real it's so light. Then I point out to them that it's practically an order of magnitude stronger than the stainless steel boat anchors they're wearing.

Check them out here: http://www.skagen.com/products/Men/Watch/All/1.fx

I get mine (they're cheap enough to have a half dozen or more) at a local clock store in Madison, WI, but I've seen them at Macy's and I think at a Nordstrums.

If you like bigger watches you can find some really elegant looking Invicta's for less than $100 too.

Find the Skagens here:

http://www.skagen.com/products/Men/Watch/All/1.fx (This website has prices quite a lot higher than I find in local stores though. I've never even seen one in person marked over $130, and I tend to buy in the $80-$100 range paying more for chronographs and titanium)

Wow, Skagens really do sound interesting. Quite the deal. I love Madison, by the way.

I have tried Timex but they literally fall apart on me after a month. In cleap, over the counter watches Casio has the best bang for the buck. If you don't mind used, you can get Seiko's for next to nothing at thrift stores, etc. That is what I am wearing now.

Dave

+1 for the seiko 5 or any seiko for that matter. Check out ebay, search seiko mens watches then use the ending soonest option. Bet you can grab a nice one for $20/$30.

Ah, but if they are in a position to be judging you then it's not your questioning that matters!

Thats very true. Sometimes I have to remind myself to 'play the game' if it means making life easier or the opportunity to earn a few more beer tokens.

Maybe if I do it enough i'll be able to get that Rolex, and then the world is my Oyster.............. ha ha

I don't wear a watch, but have been shopping around looking for one to wear for work - not too flashy, but a business-casual style. Anyone ever use this site:

http://www.chronoshark.com/

I like the look of the Seiko there today, but don't know anything about it.

Really? I don't know. I've only heard horror stories about Chinese watches. I fact, I try to avoid anything made in China, as impossible a task as it may appear.

I think the Timex and Fossil brand watches are made in China. I used to own a Seagull brand watch, which is a well-known Chinese brand, and it was decent quality.

I was going to buy a seiko from ebay last year, I decided not to because apparently some of the watches sold cheap on ebay or other auction/importer type places are fakes.

I think when it comes to watches in the $100-300 category, the japanese brands win hands down no questions asked. Brands like Seiko, Orient, Citizen etc. are all of just amazing quality, wonderful workmanship for that price.

I've worn the Orient Rolex submariner style one for a few years now and I've been super happy with it. It is an automatic but it keeps time like a quartz, I've checked it many times against the atomic clock online and it loses maybe 2 seconds a day on average. And I've seen people with Rolex submariners and I've got to say, I cannot for the life of me see any vastly superior workmanship appearance wise that would justify spending 25 times more. With Swiss watches you are probably paying a 50% or more premium in the price simply for having it made in Switzerland vs. elsewhere. The quality vs. other regions just isn't there anymore, they aren't more accurate and I've known people who have spent $5000 on Breitlings and had problems with them.

For under $50 though, you're kind of getting into a limited selection with decent brands. I think you can get a Seiko 5 for that maybe, but not sure. If you are just looking for something that looks decent on your arm, go buy one of those $10 ones from Wal-Mart, they look fine from a distance and will keep time, but the tiniest bump and the glass is going to crack, the clasp on the bracelet will break etc.

If you upgrade to the $120-200 range there is tons of stuff available that will probably last your lifetime if you take care of it.

I usually just buy a watch at Walmart, the cheapest I can find. The challenge is obviously to find a watch that isn't absolutely garish, but tasteful and understated- I was never a big or bold watch type. Since I am always losing them, I never feel bad about spending another $5-10 on a new watch.

Top Bottom