What's new

cheap but decent watch?

Seiko 5's are the best value for watches anywhere, period.

21 jewel automatic movement, scratch resistant mineral crystal, humungous support network, great customer support direct from Seiko, and all parts are made in Japan - nothing is outsourced.

I have two of them I've been wearing for 5+ years. My Dad has one he bought in Japan in 1964 (yes, a seiko 5 - the same brand). Still runs well - Seiko just sent spare parts to a local dealer for maintenance - after 45 years.

Can't be beat for $60-75.

21 jewel automatic movement, scratch resistant mineral crystal, humungous support network, great customer support direct from Seiko, and all parts are made in Japan - nothing is outsourced.

Some Seiko 5 models (possibly all of them) are made outside of Japan now. That is not to say quality has suffered, they are still a great deal.

Some Seiko 5 models (possibly all of them) are made outside of Japan now. That is not to say quality has suffered, they are still a great deal.

I always thought they had some assembly plants in China (or Taiwan?) and Singapore(?). I had assumed they used the Japan-made parts.

The ones made in Japan will say 'Japan' on them and are usually a few bucks more expensive than the same model assembled elsewhere. I could be wrong, that was my understanding a couple of years ago when I was on a Seiko binge. I've purchased a couple that were not made in Japan and they seem up to snuff, especially for the price.

For affordable, great looking, awesome watches I'm going to have to go with the Citizen Eco Drives. I have had a titanium one for 11 years and it's been run over by a truck, dropped in a pot of boiling water, suffered a fall down the side of a mountain (while still attached to me) and the only part that I have had to replace was the crystal (it was scratched up all to hell.) Best watch I've ever had.

I usually just buy a watch at Walmart, the cheapest I can find. The challenge is obviously to find a watch that isn't absolutely garish, but tasteful and understated- I was never a big or bold watch type. Since I am always losing them, I never feel bad about spending another $5-10 on a new watch.

Just wondering, how do you lose a watch? I lose sunglasses so I buy cheapies. I lose pocket knives somehow as well. I had a watch snatched off my arm in tijuana once, but otherwise I would have a hard time losing one.

I've also been pleased with my Seiko 5. A bit on the chunky side perhaps, but for ~£30 it's great. I also like the fact of its being a mechanical automatic watch.

Seiko is with out a doubt the best value for the money. My parents both have seiko watches that keep perfect time after 30 years, never serviced. I have one as well. that i have never had a problem with and I don't take it off for anything accept to clean the band occasionally.

I've been on an "affordable watch" kick lately (if you buy a bunch of 'em is it still affordable?) - anyway:

I have a couple of Orient automatic divers - I find them good-lucking, they are accurate right out of the box, and I believe they are good value for your $$. (See orientwatchusa.com for a deal of the day; if a diver comes up you'll have a real bargain!);

recently purchased a low-end Citizen eco-drive (and an Orca diver) - wonderful, accurate, apparently rugged, no batteries, etc etc. Also good value.

and finally, I have a couple of Seikos - and recently gave a friend a Seiko 5 - he's amazed at the accuracy and ruggedness. I think I paid about $80, incl. shipping for the Seiko 5.

So - you can't go wrong with any of those brands, in my experience & my opinion.

For what it's worth, after some bad (and expensive) experiences with watches & water - if you don't mind the appearance, I'd recommend a diver for your beater.

B&Bers - do you wear a watch when you shave? (If yes, I hope it's a diver!)

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/03/GW-9200.jpg

I just bought that g-shock three weeks ago and it's a great watch!
there is a barometer, an altimeter, a thermometer, it's solar powered, time calibration signals + all the functions that you can find on a g-schock.
My first watch was a Timex (I was only 11 so it didn't last for long) then after, I bought a Casio F-8 that I keept for 4 years (Lost it at a friend's party while dancing!) When i start to work I bought a Tag-Heuer (great watch but had an accident at the swiming pool a month ago in Spain :mad:) so I have to wait until September to get if fixed.
G-shock are great. I'm looking for an old G-shock (5000, 5100, 5200, 5300 or a 5600) but prices on E-bay are mad : some people sell their 5200 or 5600 for +- 250 or 300 Usd. A guy in Belgium sold 2 G- 5600 in great condition for only +- 18 Eur but unfortunately, I was on holidays at that time!

Last edited:
This is my watch

Titanium, so it's lightweight.

Sapphire crystal, because minearal just is not as tough and scratch resistant.

Has an alarm, because I always need to remind myself about something or other.....

And it's only 9mm thick. I do not like thick watches!

I've had it a couple of years, no complaints here!

How did I miss this thread!!

Seiko, Seiko SEIKO!!!
Citizen and Orient are also great. I find Seiko to be built a little better than my Orients.

Seiko 5's are awesome!!!
Seiko 5 Superiors are even nicer!

Don't knock a good Invicta. Even though the current CEO is a little hard to take. lol
Don't pay retail, keep an eye on SNBC. I have a few and they are really well made. Did I mention Seiko?

http://rongallant.com/pages/horology/hacking-the-7s26.php
http://rongallant.com/pages/horology/orient-black-lion.php

I concur with Ron on the Invictas. I got an Ivicta Pro Diver 8932 about 2 monts ago. been wearing it daily. still looks like new. Clearly a Submariner knock off but with a Seamaster Bezel. At first blush it looks like a $1000 watch. my only complaint is the clasp is sort of chintzy. I picked the 8932 for it's trouble free Japanese movement. Miyoto I think. but they are availabe in numerous combinations. including high grade swiss autos. I like the screw down crown and back which make it really water proof. got mine at Amazon on sale and in the fine print, Invicta gives you their 5 year extended warranty for free when you buy through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Mens-Diver-Watch-8932/dp/B000239OX4

I lost my watch and need a quick replacement without worrying about buyer's remorse. Do you guys have any ideas for a watch for under $50 or so that will look decent for use in a professional setting?

My first obsesion is watches. I love them I like real watches no battery powered quartz or digital wannabe watches. I like manual wind or automatic. If I may I too would suggest a Seiko Auto 5 Great watch Mine runs fast about 3-5 seconds a day. I'm never late! JMTC

Top Bottom