What's new

ChatGPT - What is the best shave soap?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Highly suggestive but….decent #1 and #2 options!

IMG_0791.jpeg

Hi @Toothpick , Playing around with ChatGPT is interesting. Glad you posted, hadn't thought of doing this before. In this case it never really answered the question. Looks like it just scanned and created a list of brands that were mentioned often in the materials it scanned with little additional analysis or even any basic validation.

For example Merkur is not often mentioned for offering a top quality shaving soap (I didn't even know they offered shaving soap until now). In fact Merkur does not currently sell its shaving soaps on its U.S oriented web site. On this web site it sells Col. Conk and D.R. Harris shaving soaps, nothing with a Merkur brand so the ChatGPT answer is questionable. Note that in its European web site Merkur does offer three shaving soaps though it appears that North American customers can't purchase from that site as it redirects to something without those soaps.

I've found that ChatGPT is very easy to manipulate based on how you ask the question. To get a reasonable answer often the questions need to guide it. For example:

ChatGPT Response for Top 5 Shaving Soaps Per Lather Quality:

You

Show the top five shaving soaps in order of lather quality

ChatGPT
Sure, here are five shaving soaps known for their exceptional lather quality, listed in no particular order:

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap: This soap is famous for its rich, creamy lather that provides excellent cushioning and protection during shaving.
  2. Barrister and Mann Seville: Barrister and Mann are known for their outstanding lather quality, and the Seville scent is particularly popular among wet shavers.
  3. Tabac Original Shaving Soap: Tabac produces a thick, slick lather that allows for a smooth and comfortable shave, making it a favorite among wet shaving enthusiasts.
  4. Mühle Shaving Soap: Mühle soaps are known for their excellent lather properties, providing a cushioned and moisturizing base for a close shave.
  5. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street is renowned for its quality shaving products, and their Sandalwood shaving soap creates a luxurious and creamy lather.
These soaps consistently receive high praise for their lathering capabilities, but keep in mind that individual preferences can vary. It's a good idea to try out different soaps to find the one that works best for you in terms of lather quality, scent, and overall shaving experience.

Even with this more focused query we still get a brand, Muhle, that we generally think of for its razors though it does offer shaving soaps that is a bit more widely known and available than Merkur.

Here is another example, @Marco , you will like this one:

ChatGPT Response for Top 5 Shaving Soaps Per Overall Value:

You

What are the top five shaving soaps in order of overall value

ChatGPT
When considering the overall value of a shaving soap, factors like performance, price, longevity, and availability all play a role. Here are five shaving soaps that offer great value for the money, listed in order:

1. Proraso Shaving Soap (Green Line): Proraso's Green Line is known for its excellent performance, refreshing eucalyptus and menthol scent, and affordable price point. It's widely available and offers a good balance of quality and affordability.
  2. Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street produces high-quality shaving soaps in various scents at a reasonable price. These soaps provide a rich lather and a smooth shaving experience, making them a favorite among wet shavers.
  3. Arko Shaving Soap Stick: Arko is a Turkish brand known for its affordable yet effective shaving products. The Arko shaving soap stick is convenient to use, lathers well, and offers great value for the price.
  4. Cella Shaving Soap: Cella is an Italian shaving soap with a classic almond scent and a reputation for producing a rich and creamy lather. It comes in a large puck that lasts a long time, making it a cost-effective choice.
  5. RazoRock Classic Shaving Soap: RazoRock offers budget-friendly shaving soaps that perform exceptionally well. Their Classic shaving soap line provides a slick lather and comes in various scents, providing good value for wet shavers on a budget.
These shaving soaps are known for their affordability, performance, and availability, making them popular choices among wet shaving enthusiasts looking for value without compromising on quality.

What is also interesting is that as Large Language Model (LLM) AI the responses still appear to be skewed towards brands that are more frequently mentioned. Not a single artisan soap mentioned. Have to ask specifically for artisan shaving soaps. In response to a request for the "top five artisan shaving soaps in order of lather quality and scent" ChatGPT responds with Barrister and Mann Seville, Declaration Grooming Bison Tallow, Noble Otter Barrbarr, Ariana & Evans Kaizen and Grooming Dept Mallard.

When I asked for the top "Super Premium" shaving soaps MdC and SV were listed first and second. No surprise.

For a final test I wanted to see if I could get ChatGPT to list Williams Shaving Soap as part of the top five. It only took one question to achieve this as follows:

ChatGPT Response for Top 5 "Old School" Shaving Soaps:

You

What are the top five "old school" basic shaving soap pucks?

ChatGPT
Certainly! "Old school" basic shaving soap pucks often refer to traditional formulations that have stood the test of time, focusing on simplicity and effectiveness. Here are five top-rated "old school" basic shaving soap pucks:

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat is a classic British shaving soap known for its simple yet effective formula. It contains lanolin from sheep's wool, which provides excellent moisturizing properties and a creamy lather ideal for a comfortable shave.
  2. Tabac Original Shaving Soap: Tabac's shaving soap has been a staple among wet shavers for decades. Its classic formulation produces a thick, creamy lather with good slickness and cushioning, offering a smooth and enjoyable shaving experience.
  3. Proraso Shaving Soap (Green or White Line): Proraso is an Italian brand famous for its affordable and reliable shaving products. Both the Green (eucalyptus and menthol) and White (oatmeal and green tea) lines offer straightforward, no-nonsense shaving soap pucks that create a rich lather and provide good skin protection.
  4. Speick Shaving Soap: Speick is a German brand known for its natural ingredients and gentle formulations. Their shaving soap puck contains valuable plant extracts like lavender, which help soothe and nourish the skin while producing a creamy and slick lather for a comfortable shave.
  5. Williams Mug Shaving Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap has been a budget-friendly favorite for many wet shavers. While its formulation is relatively simple compared to artisan soaps, it still provides a decent lather with good glide and cushioning, making it a reliable choice for those looking for a basic shaving soap puck.
These "old school" basic shaving soap pucks may not have fancy packaging or complex scent profiles, but they have earned their reputation for delivering a quality shaving experience without unnecessary frills.
End of ChatGPT Response.

If the question is adjusted to "....shaving soap pucks and sticks?" the only change is that Arko is substituted for Speik. Williams is still listed.

Again the AI is just mining the data out there without validation. Was surprised it listed Williams so easily since Williams is discontinued. In fact the AI shows its limitations as it has no clue that Williams is discontinued. When asked if Williams is worth $30-$40 per puck it responded that "Williams Shaving Soap is typically priced much lower than $30-$40 per puck, often ranging from $1 to $5 per puck..."

Overall ChatGPT is a useful tool if you have a reasonable understanding of the topic you are researching. This enables you to ask the right question and have enough context to validate the reasonableness of the results. It's very risky to use ChatGPT for answers where you know little about the topic unless you can validate the responses with additional sources.

When it comes to shaving soaps all that really matters is how each soap works for us individually given our preferences and YMMV.

With Chat GPT it always seems to come out as if you’d given a ten year old the question as a school project. It always reads like someone who doesn’t know anything and is not very skilled at faking it. I guess all Chat GPT really does is act as a search engine and present the hits as an essay rather than a list.

We are still a primitive species with primitive tools.

With Chat GPT it always seems to come out as if you’d given a ten year old the question as a school project. It always reads like someone who doesn’t know anything and is not very skilled at faking it. I guess all Chat GPT really does is act as a search engine and present the hits as an essay rather than a list.

We are still a primitive species with primitive tools.
As a species we're about 0.7, and still, at least ,100 years away from "Type 1" status on the Kardashev scale.

For those curios: Kardashev scale - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

All of these lists give me some comfort in knowing ChatGPT still has a long way to go and our AI overlords are still some years away.
I've explored ChatGPT with other topics and found that it learns relatively quickly. Suspect that prior to @Toothpick 's query it had not received a lot of questions regarding shaving soap. I could even detect some evolution in its knowledge on this topic as it responded to my series of queries.

Came close on “value”…
Good example of how ChatGPT is like a calculator that is dependent on the user entering the right equation to deliver a correct answer. You need to have enough knowledge to guide the AI with reasonably focused questions to get usable results. I'd never rely on ChatGPT for answers but would use it to help accelerate my research process.

I've explored ChatGPT with other topics and found that it learns relatively quickly. Suspect that prior to @Toothpick 's query it had not received a lot of questions regarding shaving soap. I could even detect some evolution in its knowledge on this topic as it responded to my series of queries.
Not quickly enough, it would seem. Even if we do grant the generous assumption that it hasn't encountered this topic before (although a true general AI, with web access, wouldn't need such promptings) The list literally looks like it was produced by a basic algorithm that did a a few google searches and counted the most named brands of the top dozen search results.

It puts together sentences that might sound good, but often contain wrong or misleading information.

For example, Speick normally comes as a stick, not a puck. Lavender is a fragrance ingredient, it doesn't really have anything to do with soothing the skin or making a nice lather.

On what basis were these particular items selected? If it is frequency of mention, I would not think Merkur soap would be in the list. It makes you wonder which great soaps it may have forgot to mention.

Top Bottom