What's new

Charleroi straight razor

Dear All,

I am quite new to wet shaving, but I have been enjoying a Gillette Super Speed or Rocket since Christmas. :biggrin: I love it!
Although I am not planing to switch to a straight razors for a while, I found an almost irresistible offer.
Almost, because I am not sure weather I shoul buy this beauty or not.
Please, give me some advise! Does anyone of you know this brand (Charleroi)?
Shall I go for it? :confused:

Don't know the brand, but Charleroi is a city in Belgium once renowned for its steel industry. Now it's Belgiums rust belt with lots of unemployed people and 1/4 of the active population working for the state. :001_huh: :nonod:

So, probably, your razor is made in Belgium. It must be good. :tongue1:

The name doesn't sound familiar to me either, but chances are good that it's a decent razor being from that neck of the woods....go ahead and pick it up! .....and if you don't, tell me where I can! :biggrin:

If your not planning on using it why do you want to get it? I'm not familiar with the brand but personally it doesn't look so hot to me. It looks like a well used razor and there appears to be a chip in the scales. if you were looking for a razor to practice honing and stropping and you were able to get the thing for a couple bucks then I'd say OK but its not like its some pristine piece.

Thanks for your comments, guys!
I bought it! :tongue: And I am - hopefully - going to use it; but not in the near future. Because I want to practice my skills with my beloved DE first. I am striving for perfection... :biggrin:
I added another pic - just cut out this part and enlarged it; sorry for the quality -, so you can take a closer look. I also figured out that it says "A CHARLEROI", which probably means "from Charleroi" - forgive me, but I do not speak French.
The scales are actually not chipped at all; it was just me erasing some ad text...
So, can you guys recommend me some restoration steps, or can you point me to any threads?

Yes, ' à Charleroi' means 'in Charleroi', so the name above ('J. Legrève'?) is the brand name. Legrève is a common name here in Belgium. One of my highschool buddies was a Legrève.

If your not planning on using it why do you want to get it? I'm not familiar with the brand but personally it doesn't look so hot to me. It looks like a well used razor and there appears to be a chip in the scales. if you were looking for a razor to practice honing and stropping and you were able to get the thing for a couple bucks then I'd say OK but its not like its some pristine piece.

I simply fell in love with this beauty. And first love is like a lightning: it hits you without a warning... :blushing:
Furthermore, it ain't so easy to get a decent straight for a decent price over here, in Hungary. And the price was also good (about $20 or so).
I was lookin for a starter razor, on which I could practice honing and stropping, just like you said. So, basically that is why I bought it.

Could anyone give me some advise how to restore it? :confused:
Gonna get it on Saturday, so I will post some pics probably on Sunday.

Do I notice some Flemish-Walloon friction here?

Don't know the brand, but Charleroi is a city in Belgium once renowned for its steel industry. Now it's Belgiums rust belt with lots of unemployed people and 1/4 of the active population working for the state. :001_huh: :nonod:

So, probably, your razor is made in Belgium. It must be good. :tongue1:

Does anyone of you have spare honing stone? :confused:
I googled for Norton 4000/8000, and they cost around 100 USD!
And that is just the starting stone, as I read... :eek:
Gonna have to hold my budget tight!

If you want to do a full restore of the blade first you'll have to tackle the cosmetics. First a good cleaning with soap and water and maybe a degreaser like WD-40 then you can see what it really looks like. Then some good metal polish. Depending on what it looks like then you can either use a power tool like a Dremmel or do it by hand with sand paper using ever finer papers depending on whether there is rust or pitting or deep scratches and how far you want to take it. For the edge itself you'll have to evaluate it for chips, bevel condition, spine wear, warpage. At the least you need the equivelent of a Norton 4K/8K, maybe a 1K also. Something in the 12K category would be nice as a finisher but its not required. Thats real general but without a real closeup of the blade thats just starters. When you get it and examine it let us know what you find.

And what do you suggest Kees? :confused:

If there is a frown most honemeisters would recommend you hone it out. If there ain't I would check for chips or pitting on the bevel. If there are you hone them out. If there ain't I would mark the bevel and do 3 laps and check if metal is removed along the whole length of the bevel on both sides. If so you continue with the 8K till sharp if not you take the 4K and hone till you are sure you remove metal all along the bevel on either side, then take the 8K. This is how I tackle newly bought razors.

If there is a frown most honemeisters would recommend you hone it out.

I think there might be a slight frown towards the point of the blade. So, how do I hone it out?

By the way, the blade - as far as I can tell - is a 5/8. What do you think it is: carbon-steel or stainless?

I would check for chips or pitting on the bevel.

I cannot find any pitting or chips on the bevel, however, there are mikro rust-spots on it. What shall I do? Use some fine sandpaper?

Shall I remove the scales to clean the shank and tang as well?And if so, how? What special tool do I need to take the pivots out?

Thanks for your help; and looking forward to your answer! :smile:

Here you go:

I think there might be a slight frown towards the point of the blade. So, how do I hone it out? I use a 3" wide Shapton and hone till the edge is straight.

By the way, the blade - as far as I can tell - is a 5/8. What do you think it is: carbon-steel or stainless? I there's rust it will be carbon steel.

I cannot find any pitting or chips on the bevel, however, there are mikro rust-spots on it. What shall I do? Use some fine sandpaper? Micro-rust spots will disappear when yu correct the frown.

Shall I remove the scales to clean the shank and tang as well?And if so, how? What special tool do I need to take the pivots out? I never took scales off so I can't tell ya. You can clean it with alchohol without the need to remove the scales.

Thanks for your help; and looking forward to your answer! :smile:

Top Bottom