What's new

Charging family for Thanksgiving dinner?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Oh man! At $30, you're all invited next year!
I’m in. I figure you must have at least a couple of hundred dollar’s worth of pocketable stuff laying around.

I, for one, have never charged anyone for Thanksgiving dinner. I have, however, insisted on securing a few deposits.

Not a meal/event I look forward to anyways, i'll see you at Christmas. Our Thanksgiving is second weekend in October.

dave

kind of defeats the idea behind the holiday. My max I've entertained at our house is about 20. Everybody brings sides, I provide the meat (turkey, ham, lamb). If I wanted to charge people to eat with me I'd open a restaurant.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s awesome. If I was told I had to pay I’d stay home. Well, first I’d give them a piece of my mind. Then I’d stay home.

Sharing costs or being charged a fee, what's the difference?

Zero background information or information about circumstances of the 'charger' in the original news piece.

I never made it to my families gathering this year.

dave

Money no. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday in my part of the world, but Christmas is. My family gather at Christmas eve. There's usually ten to fifteen of us every year. We eat, chat and enjoy the company. The host of the year never ask anyone for anything, but every guest have some food with them as a gift to the host. I hope my aunt will bring the same home made fudge as she did last year and my chocolate chip cookies are usually appreciated, but money NO.

Everyone brings food to our get-togethers. The exceptions have been:

1. Restaurant dining.
2. Food + gift where one person has prepared a meal with an expensive cut of meat, and we all chip in for an expensive gift for the guest of honor. Food expense is only for the meat.
3. Facilities rental.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
"your charging us to come for dinner?" "No, the dinner is free. I'm charging because I have to put up with you for the day."

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm on the other side of the fence, having to pay people to come over and visit us. It's okay though; I'm used to it as a carry-over from ma typing pork chops around my neck as a kid in order to get the dogs to play with me.

Most of the kids, g-kids & gg-kids are scattered this year so my wife didn't want to cook for just the two of us. Those within an hour's driving distance were invited to join us for Chinese take-out. We're not expecting takers, but not a problem if anyone shows.

Maybe, but only maybe, if you explain that you would take all the proceeds and donate it to a charity or local food bank, but even then, it feels like forcing your "agenda" on others, as noble as it might be.

Otherwise, just suck it up like a good host should, money and all required work included, or... don't host at all. :001_cool:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Once buzzed I can wax poetic on any number of controversial topics. That alone should be worth the price of admission.

Top Bottom