What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

So is this the new handle, i.e. the single handle design replacing all others going forward?

I don't know. This is what is for sale on the website right now. I did notice as of last night, he had taken down his production schedule notes. We'll have to see what he finally settles on, but I am a bit underwhelmed by this new design.

3.5" handle
76g hollow

A few extra plates in SS have appeared.

How does the Level 1 shave compared to,the level 2?

Which generation? I have only tried the gen 1 in brass, level 1 is smoother and suits me better for daily shaves. Still a fair amount of blade exposure though. Less efficient than level 2 clearly.

New design has less exposure I believe. Very few reviews so hard to know.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Which generation? I have only tried the gen 1 in brass, level 1 is smoother and suits me better for daily shaves. Still a fair amount of blade exposure though. Less efficient than level 2 clearly.

New design has less exposure I believe. Very few reviews so hard to know.

I have a fairly new Level 2. And it is right on the inside edge of my aggression limit. I was thinking that since the they have the Level 1 plate on sale at the moment, it may be wise to pick one up. But not if its too mild and wont ever get used.

For example, I have a bunch of Timeless razors. My main Timeless is the 95 scalloped in stainless. But I still use and love the 68. I get great shaves from both. On the other hand, I have the Game Changer 84 and 68. The 84 gives me a great shave, but the 68 is completely useless for me. I can do 10 passes and not get a close enough shave. So I am trying to sort out if the Level 1 plate is worth the investment.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a fairly new Level 2. And it is right on the inside edge of my aggression limit. I was thinking that since the they have the Level 1 plate on sale at the moment, it may be wise to pick one up. But not if its too mild and wont ever get used.

For example, I have a bunch of Timeless razors. My main Timeless is the 95 scalloped in stainless. But I still use and love the 68. I get great shaves from both. On the other hand, I have the Game Changer 84 and 68. The 84 gives me a great shave, but the 68 is completely useless for me. I can do 10 passes and not get a close enough shave. So I am trying to sort out if the Level 1 plate is worth the investment.
What blades are you using with your Level 2?

I was thinking that since the they have the Level 1 plate on sale at the moment, it may be wise to pick one up. But not if its too mild and wont ever get used.

I don't think Brian made many of the new level 1 but hopefully someone on here can give a comparison. I'd be interested as well. I haven't tried any of the gen 1 plates at all.

My Level 1 stainless just arrived yesterday. I also own a Gen 1 Level 1 in copper. I was going to take the new version on its maiden voyage this morning, but my new WR2 1.15SB was calling too loudly. My plan is to shave with the Level 1 on Sunday so I will check back in and let you know my thoughts.

@SaddleSC has the new level 1, maybe he can give us an idea just how mild it is?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Brian made many of the new level 1 but hopefully someone on here can give a comparison. I'd be interested as well. I haven't tried any of the gen 1 plates at all.
I have a Gen 1, Level 3 in brass. It might be more aggressive than the Gen 2 Level 3 in stainless. The Gen 2 is better at balancing efficiency, smoothness and aggression - in my opinion. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What blades are you using with your Level 2?

Ive tried quite a few. The Lvl 2 seems to be the most blade sensitive razor I have ever used.

My favorite current blade is the Polsiver SI / Wizamet Russian. This blade was a disaster in the Lvl 2. It may be too sharp, and the LVL 2 is already on the edge of how much aggressiveness I can tolerate. I got quite a lot of irritation and a few weepers.

I tried an Astra SP. I always consider this blade as the baseline for all new razors, as it is a quite consistent blade with a good mix of sharpness and smoothness. This was better than the Polsilver, but not great. Still a good deal of irritation, however no weepers.

I recently have been using a Voskhod in the Lvl 2 and it works really great. Nice and smooth. Great closeness. So far the Vos is the winner in the Lvl 2 for me. No irritation, no blood. Smooth close shave results. YMMV of course.

I have tried a number of other blades, including some vintage NOS stuff. Mixed results. But I only really consider blades that are currently available to be viable. The fact that this razor knocks it out of the park with a pre-82 Lodz Wizamet, a 70's British Wilkie, or a Gillette Spoiler isnt really gonna help many people. So as far as I am concerned, the Voskhod is the pick at the moment. Solid smooth and close shave. But that may change. I am still quite new with the Lvl 2. I have lots of other blades to try in this thing.

I hope that helps.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ive tried quite a few. The Lvl 2 seems to be the most blade sensitive razor I have ever used.

My favorite current blade is the Polsiver SI / Wizamet Russian. This blade was a disaster in the Lvl 2. It may be too sharp, and the LVL 2 is already on the edge of how much aggressiveness I can tolerate. I got quite a lot of irritation and a few weepers.

I tried an Astra SP. I always consider this blade as the baseline for all new razors, as it is a quite consistent blade with a good mix of sharpness and smoothness. This was better than the Polsilver, but not great. Still a good deal of irritation, however no weepers.

I recently have been using a Voskhod in the Lvl 2 and it works really great. Nice and smooth. Great closeness. So far the Vos is the winner in the Lvl 2 for me. No irritation, no blood. Smooth close shave results. YMMV of course.

I have tried a number of other blades, including some vintage NOS stuff. Mixed results. But I only really consider blades that are currently available to be viable. The fact that this razor knocks it out of the park with a pre-82 Lodz Wizamet, a 70's British Wilkie, or a Gillette Spoiler isnt really gonna help many people. So as far as I am concerned, the Voskhod is the pick at the moment. Solid smooth and close shave. But that may change. I am still quite new with the Lvl 2. I have lots of other blades to try in this thing.

I hope that helps.

Have you tried a Silver Star or a Bolzano?

Brian is recommending

Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Sputnik, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Greens

You've already tried the Astra. I didn't like super sharp blades in the gen 1, brass (all levels). Gillette Blacks were good. Normally go for GSB or Polsilver. Didn't like Nacet in the CG (but good in other razors).

I just got a copper gen 2 level 2. Should I get the Stinger Gen 1 handle or the Hammered copper? Not a fan of the torpedo handle it came with. Too long and somewhat awkward

I would go with the hammered copper. I found the stinger handle to be a little to big for me. I love my copper hammered handle though.

Top Bottom