What's new

Chanel Égoïste Appreciation Thread

It's one of my favorite sandalwood based frags. I don't get much rose from it. I like to use it in the fall and winter.

It's a great fragrance, but on my weird skin, all I get is top notes. Can't smell anything further than that and I am so gutted. Had sprayed it on some clothes once and the smell, even as late as the following day, was sublime.

Sometimes I am blown away by the amazing drydown, other times I feel the scent seems dated. Wear it far less than I probably should.
It's a gorgeous scent either way.

...other times I feel the scent seems dated.

It's funny how we equate certain scents with being either old or up to date. Some of my favorite scents are quite old, yet to me smell like they could have been made yesterday (Penhaligon's English Fern and Douro come to mind), whereas other old scents to me just smell kind of...well, old. I'm not sure why that should be. However, given what I consider to be the dreadful state of most current designer fragrances, smelling "dated" is probably one of the higher compliments I could offer a scent.

It's funny how we equate certain scents with being either old or up to date. Some of my favorite scents are quite old, yet to me smell like they could have been made yesterday (Penhaligon's English Fern and Douro come to mind), whereas other old scents to me just smell kind of...well, old. I'm not sure why that should be. However, given what I consider to be the dreadful state of most current designer fragrances, smelling "dated" is probably one of the higher compliments I could offer a scent.

Agreed. One of my favorites is AdP Colonia which, as I understand it, has remained unchanged for decades and it doesn't smell at all "dated" to me.

I just picked up a partial bottle on ebay (after reading this thread) and am very much looking forward to giving it a try.

Egostie is a fantastic fragrance. I haven't smelled Trumpers Sandalwood cologne, but I do have the shaving cream. There are some similarities there.

Egostie is a fantastic fragrance. I haven't smelled Trumpers Sandalwood cologne, but I do have the shaving cream. There are some similarities there.

Interesting you should say that. The Trumper sandalwood cologne is noted by a number of reviewers, myself included, for its similarity to Egoiste. However, the Trumper sandalwood shaving cream is quite different from the cologne, and I don't see too many similarities between the cream and Egoiste, FWIW.

Interesting you should say that. The Trumper sandalwood cologne is noted by a number of reviewers, myself included, for its similarity to Egoiste. However, the Trumper sandalwood shaving cream is quite different from the cologne, and I don't see too many similarities between the cream and Egoiste, FWIW.

I get a lot of cinnamon and sandalwood out of the cream with a slight hint of tobacco. The difference I find is the lack of rosewood which is prominent in egoiste.

I'm not good at identifying notes, I could be completely wrong about this, but one thing I do know is that these two smell dang good!!!

Be sure to let us know what you think.

I think that ebay may not be the best place for me to buy fragrances:mad3:. The Egoist arrived and I gave it a try; not sure exactly what I have, but pretty sure it is not what it is supposed to be. The fragrance is very nice and I seem to note a hint of rose, but if it is the real deal I'm guessing it has been watered (alcohol maybe) down to a lighter mix than most of my aftershaves. I tried 3 good sprays to my mid-section and within an hour or so it had mostly faded. Upside is that I only paid $12 for what I'm guessing is ~60% of a 50 ml bottle and had it been what is was supposed to be I would have felt like I got a steal. First bad 'bay experience in a while and guessing I was just due. Now I am going to have to find a sample of the real stuff just to know what I missed out on trying.

I think that ebay may not be the best place for me to buy fragrances:mad3:. The Egoist arrived and I gave it a try; not sure exactly what I have, but pretty sure it is not what it is supposed to be. The fragrance is very nice and I seem to note a hint of rose, but if it is the real deal I'm guessing it has been watered (alcohol maybe) down to a lighter mix than most of my aftershaves. I tried 3 good sprays to my mid-section and within an hour or so it had mostly faded. Upside is that I only paid $12 for what I'm guessing is ~60% of a 50 ml bottle and had it been what is was supposed to be I would have felt like I got a steal. First bad 'bay experience in a while and guessing I was just due. Now I am going to have to find a sample of the real stuff just to know what I missed out on trying.

Update--after letting this sit undisturbed for a bit over a week, I decided to revisit it to make sure. I feel a bit foolish now and think this is the real deal. When it arrived I couldn't wait and opened it and gave it a couple of sprays--must have still been a bit cold from sitting outside and guessing this affected the performance. I wore it last night and thinking it was a bit week gave myself 4-5 good sprays to the midsection--SURPRISE and in a good way except that next time I may use a bit less. The smell was fantastic and lasted a good 9 hours on me so guessing that I may actually have gotten a good deal--I've not tried any samples so still not sure this is what I have, but again the smell and longevity are awesome and I am going to enjoy using the rest of the bottle either way.

I wore it last night and thinking it was a bit week gave myself 4-5 good sprays to the midsection--SURPRISE and in a good way except that next time I may use a bit less.

LOL...yeah, if it's real, 4 -5 sprays of Egoiste is a lot! I bet you stunk up the joint, although it was no doubt a good stink.

Thanks to this forum and reviews from Basenotes, I happened to spot this when browsing in Debenhams last week. For those who've not encountered it, Debenhams is a chain of department stores in the UK. I'm very fortunate because my nearest store has a fantastic selection of men's fragrances, which became even more apparent when I happened to spot Chanel Egoiste. I'd looked out for it in two rival stores, which only stocked Platinum Egoiste.

I immediately sampled some and was immediately impressed. Over the weekend I convinced myself that I'd drop by the store again before I started work on Monday.

I wish I'd discovered this a few years ago. It is a joy to smell through the different stages, and a little goes such a long way. It's ideal for me because I'm conservative with sprays.

Does anyone know if this ever came in an all black plastic covered bottle with white lettering that looks like a travel bottle? I have owned several bottles of this over the years and have never seen one like this pop up for sale until just recently unsure if it is legitimate or not

Top Bottom