What's new

Help Me Sort Chanel & Guerlain Male Fragances

Gents, recently I noticed I have been thinking a lot more about fragrances and what may be a few good choices for me to try. I have been thinking of higher quality, slightly less mainstream scents. Let me set this up. The first thing I will tell you is that I will not buy any bottle of fragrance blind. I have found two nice decant shops in the perfumed court and decants.com. $3-15 gets you enough of any scent to at least get into trouble with and more than likely let you know if you want to explore it further. So truly, no blind buys for me.

I have already asked about two or three scents in other recent threads so I won't elabourate on those other than to mention them. I am leaning toward the houses of Guerlain and Chanel. Oh how safe, you say. Well, yes they are. I think they are probably a good choice for a bloke like me who is not well experienced in fragrance. I can tell you my typical scent 'family', if you really want to call it that, is British. Think Trumper, Pen's, etc. You get the idea. So this will be a different direction for me. So lets eat the apple one bite at a time. These two houses are historical, fairly consistent, and sometimes not so adventuresome. I get that. And accept it. I suspect from posts here I would lean toward Guerlain more so than Chanel. Simply because it seems to me that Chanel's scents are likely a lot more modern. Am I off base? If my suspicions are true, is there another house you would recommend to try along with Guerlain?

I have some decants coming already. Mouchoir de Monsieur, Pour Monsieur Concentree, and Egoiste. I have also read the recent thread about Guerlain Vetiver and it sounds like my sort of thing as well. A few questions. In the Guerlain house I see a LOT of internet chatter about L'instant de Guerlain and the same fragrance with the word 'extreme' attached to it. Both garner very positive reviews but again, this is very subjective. Thoughts on these? One thing I see associated with these scents is the world "gourmand". I ASSume this means a food type scent. Yes/no? I can tell you I don't want to smell like a chocolate bar. Food scents are dicey with me. Habit Rouge. Reviews for it are all over the place. I see it described as old man, fusty, superb, sweet dust, etc. Truly all over the place. I ask because unlike most Guerlain scents I easily found a bottle of the edt on Amazon for fifty odd dollars. Pretty reasonable but again, I won't buy blind. I have also come to appreciate floral scents as long as they are deep(I don't know how to explain/express it any better) and well blended. I do not want to smell of 'bluebells' but something like Floris 89 with its rose blast and sandalwood base are great. If any of you have sniffed Mystic Water Viola di Bosco(violet of the woods I think) then you know what I mean. They are not pure floral.

Last but not least. Scents I do not like. These "oceanic" scents. I won't belabour the point other than to say they are out. I do not want to smell of cotton candy, sugar or a fresh stream. So lay some suggestions on me and correct me wherever necessary. Thanks gents and sorry to be long.

Cheers, Todd

My tastes tend toward the classic, and these two fragrance houses are very high on my list. From Chanel, I love Pour Monsieur and Antaeus. To a lesser extent, I like Egoiste. PM is a gentlemanly fragrance with substance, while Antaeus is much heavier.

Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge are in my top five fragrances that I've ever smelled. Also, I like the Imperiale which is an eau de cologne. Luca Turin's description of HR as sweet dust is spot on. I don't have much experience with the more recent offerings from either house. Hope this helps.

I have several Chanel's and few Guerlain's
I would say buy the LIDGE (L'instant de Guerlain Extreme) EDP if that is how your leaning.. I do love Chanel's just as much
If you can find it.. The price is good for Eau de Parfum
I would say you will not smell like a chocolate bar just a hint of many other scents..

If you like the clean office scent (soap smell) sums it up best get the Vetiver..
You can get a big 6.8oz bottle for under $70
If you want a night time more standard mens scent get the LIDGE

Here are some of the notes
citrus, anise, cedar wood, lavender and jasmine/hibiscus, cocoa and faint balsams

Last edited:
Todd...I recommend the Guerlain Vetiver. I used to wear Tom Ford Grey Vetiver but when that ran out, I gave the Guerlain a try. I think I like it better. In my opinion, it's a masculine, non-offensive, fresh and natural smelling fragrance. I wear it daily in warmer weather and also on sunny days during the cold winter months to pick up my mood. I picked up my bottle at FragranceX online for just over $50.

If you live near a department store, you can likely get a sample of the Guerlain Vetiver. Or, if you like, I can send you a small sample to try. My bottle is nearly new and I have plenty left. PM me with your info if you like.

Also, consider DR Harris Windsor EDT. I keep that on my "shave shelf" and it's a nice scent. Citrus opening with a woodsy/vetiver drydown. My wife loves it and it's also very affordable.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thank you gents. I suspected I would be okay starting with these two. D.R. Harris is one of my favourite houses and Windsor is one of theirs I have not tried. Yet. I love the vibe from English styled scents but will be looking at the froggies right now. I am most excited to try the decants that are on the way. I was actually a bit surprised at how reasonable Guerkain scents can be found if you shop around. As an aside, go to the Channel site and check out the videos from "Inside Chanel". A very interesting vignette of Ms. Gabrielle. There is also an 18 minute short by Karl Lagerfeld called Once Upon a Time starring Keira Knightley as Coco in her early days. Certainly worth a look.

Cheers, Todd

If you enjoy wearing MdM, everything else you named will be easy to handle.
If you have the chance try Parfums de Nicolaï New York (re. No.89) and some of the Chanel Les Exclusifs line too.

Gents, I paid a visit to the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri today. This is a wonderful old shopping area built in the 1920s by the JC Nichols Co. Lots of neat overpriced upscale stores here. One in particular is Halls department store. Been there for decades. A real throwback. My wife was able to smell the Chanel fragrances. Her favourite was Coco Mademoiselle. My favvorite male scent fro. Chanel was Pour Monsieur. Classy that one. They had No.19 as well and it is easily a unisex fragrance.

Of course the scent hawks were upon us the second we entered the area. Two girls insisted I try some Bond No.9 scents. Against my instincts I let them spritz Cooper Square on my wrist. Several hours later I have this semi sweet powder/generic scent on my wrist thay I have sniffed many times before. They also gave me a sample of 'Silver'. A typical modern fresh scent I did not enjoy. They did offer me a deal to buy two Bond frags and get one free. A $260 value. I politely declined. Ahem.

Cheers, Todd

L'Instant is worth sampling. I own a bottle of the EDT and EDP versions. Another house to look at is Dior. They have some really great stuff: Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Eau Sauvage Parfum, etc. that's worth checking out.

I've been to Halls in the Plaza too. The Bond reps are nice but damn are they aggressive lol. I don't mind it actually - it's amusing and it's their job. You just have to have the right attitude about it, be polite, and laugh at how assertive they can get. The place has nice array of Cartier, Creed, and other nice scents. Nice classy place.

Next time in Plaza, there's also a Brooks Brothers store and I know some of the gents here like some BB frags. I'm assuming they sell them there - haven't checked personally.

Anyway back to the initial question:

Chanel Exclusifs:
Sycomore and Coromandel are winners. Worth sampling (only sold at the boutiques or online - so we're talking Chicago, NY type cities).

Guerlain:
I find many of their scents dated, and the line I like "L'Art de la Matiere" is very sweet and probably not what most BnB crowd is inclined to like (very gourmand....leaning feminine for most BnB men). But these scents are AMAZING including Bois D'Armenie (probably most likely to succeed by those on here cause of the incense), Spirituese Double Vanille (lots of vanilla, but boozy which makes it more masculine?), Tonka Imperiale (amazing), and Cuir Beluga (top 5 for me).

Last edited:
Hello Todd,
Chanel has some great scents but I have always drifted towards Guerlain. I used guerlain vetiver for a while but the faint cigarette smell in the dry down put me in another direction. It is a good scent, last all day and is strong. The down side was my wife did not like it at all. Antaeus is a very strong fragrance though very complex. I enjoyed it for a while but the harsh opening became a little too much.

I currently am wearing Guerlain Homme:001_smileGreat scent. It starts with a fresh lime/citrus scent this turns into this wonderful cedar/ vetiver scent. Simply great stuff. It lasts a long time and does not enter the room before you do.
Though you did not list Dior, Eau Sauvage is a great scent worth a try.
Good luck

Andy

Schad, Andy. Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I was nice to the 'Bond Girls' since they were nice to me and my wife. I just don't care for the scents too much. Halls is a fantastic old store but sticker shock rules the day. I have been to Brooks Brothers before but not this trip. I have a bottle of their 1818. Probably one of the best bargains in perfumery. 6.8oz bottle for something like $48 when I bought mine a few years ago.

Indeed, I have to be careful with the sweet scents. For some reason they simply overwhelm me. And most new scents are loaded with a sugary scent component. That plus too much clean linen/water and they just go off the rails to me. I suspect I too will probably be more at home with Guerlain than Chanel but Pour Monsieur seems good to me. Of course it dates from 1955 so it likely has something to do with it. I may yet look at the Dior house since they are pretty classic as well and Eau Savage gets lots of good reviews.

Cheers, Todd

Those are good houses to look into. Many of their products are among people's favorites. No accounting for taste in scents so you'll have to see what you like for yourself. For what it's worth my favorite from each is Egoiste (not the Platinum one) and L'Instant de Guerlain. Add in Dior Homme Intense as another of my favorites and you can see kind of a trend in what I like.

I love Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge and have both. HR doesn't have the longevity I'd like. At least, I myself can't notice it!

But I also really love Guerlain Heritage. It's a bit more formal, very classy. The initial blast of, ah, cedar (I guess, I can't describe fragrances) is quite misleading. It quickly dries down to a wonderful mellow spicy vanilla leather etc. Complex, great longevity, great sillage. I'll never be without it. Read some reviews! Dunno why it hasn't been mentioned here.

Chanel Egoiste - can't go wrong. Not my favorite frag as it's slightly too synthetic, but I always enjoy it whenever I wear it.

Guerlain, in order of preference:
1. Derby (probably my 'desert island'), amazing, indescribable, elegant, complex
2. Habit Rouge, enough said
3. MdM, enough said

Chanel
1. Pour Monsieur, also great all-round, like Derby

Other Guerlains to look into:
- Jicky (MdM light)
- Eau du Coq (spritzy lavender)
- Vetiver, enough said

Gents, this has been a bit of fun. Today I shaved as normal and had to physically restrain myself from grabbing an aftershave. So a spritz of QED's superb Da Vinci water and some eye gel(don't laugh, it helps) and I was ready to apply some fragrance for work. Now mind, I am blue collar through the day. Denim and polo shirt. So sometimes you have to go hmm if you wear the wrong scent.

Last night whilst handling the decants I managed to squeeze/leak a bit of Chanel Eqoiste onto my finger. I was trying to barely pump the sample's atomiser enough to just make a drop appear but of course sprayed a bit too much. I was immediately hit by the "I've smelled this before" hammer. What was it? Think blast you, you've smelled this before. You know you have the fragrance in your shave den somewhere. After a good while of this I put it out of my mind and went about the evening's affairs and trundled off to bed. This morning after the shave I immediately went back to the Egoiste. I gave myself a shot on each pulse point of the neck area and was again reminded I have smelled something almost identical. Then the light went on. Trumper Sandalwood! The opening blast of fresh(orange/citrus?) along with a sandalwood heart is superb. Egoiste dries down a bit differently and a bit drier than Trumper's scent and shows a bit of cedar through the day but the top notes are eerie in their similarities.

I have described Trumper Sandalwood as a great bridge scent. By bridge I mean something that is modern for younger chap while at the same time completely void of the unholy generic water/fresh stuff that most scents the last twenty years have become. I have not priced Egoiste but Trumper Sandalwood runs about $60-65 for a 50ml atomiser. If Egoiste comes in a 3.4oz bottle for under $100 then you can do the math. Personally I would look to Chanel's smaller 2.7oz. versions for less pain in the cheque book. And I find Trumper's 50ml bottle will last me a long time since I do not use full on perfume/colognes every day. While you shouldn't make any long term judgements about a scent based on a single use I can say this is a rather nice scent. Safe for work, good for church, or even casual evening wear. It is a great distraction from the mindless wafts from most of the department store scents.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom