What's new

Champagne for the New Year's

As the New Year is almost upon us, which Champagne will you be toasting with?

I have enjoyed Veuve Cliquot in the past, but am looking to venture out into new names. Anything out there worth trying that isn't outrageously expensive (under $60/bottle)?

S

Steve27752

I will be tucked up and fast asleep in bed well before midnight:biggrin1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Veuve Clicquot is usually my goto for NYE.

One of my favourite is Pommery. SWMBO doesn't like it as much as me. I have a bottle of Moet Chandon for tonight!

Cinzano Asti Spumante. SWMBO prefers to stay home New Year's Eve and celebrate quietly. If we can find the Cinzano, we prefer it for sentimental reasons.

I am able to get Philipponnat Champagne at a considerably reduced price and buy several cases each year. It was on the menu for Christmas and we will drink it again on New Year's Eve. Sorry, but I'm not sure of the pricing in the USA....

We usually buy a nice bottle of Domaine Carneros or Domaine Chandon to start with, but usually finish up with a BIG bottle or two of Totts. Once we start to get a little ripped with the good stuff, I don't see any point (or difference) in drinking the cheap stuff. The Totts is 8 bucks for a 1.5L bottle at Costco and really isn't all that bad either.

I've made a tradition of having a special beer instead of Champagne. I'm thinking a good Belgian Tripel this year, but I'll have to see whats at the beer store when I get into town.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Although not a new name per se, give this one a try. Outstanding value at under $60.00 a bottle. I personally enjoy this one much more than their yellow label.

Winemaker's notes:

Our non-vintage rosé is the end result of a desire to create a rosé champagne with a delightfully luscious, fruit-based charm. Jacques Péters, the cellarmaster, and his team wanted a champagne that would be accessible and naturally engaging while conserving Veuve Clicquot's essential values in terms of style.

Made using 50 to 60 different crus, the cuvee is based on Brut Yellow Label's traditional blend: 50 to 55% Pinot Noir, 15 to 20% Pinot Meunier, and 28 to 33% Chardonnay.

The blend includes a particularly high percentage (25-35%, sometimes 40%) of reserve wines originating from several harvests (usually 5 or 6), which ensures the consistency of the house style. The reserve wines, some of which are 9 years old, are kept separately depending on the origin of the crus and the years in which the wines were produced. This blend is completed with 12% of red wines using red grapes especially raised and selected to give a marvellous balance to this rosé.

I agree with the belgian beer idea. A little off the OP's question...but for those who don't much care for champagne like myself...get a classy bottle of beer. Many belgians come in 750ml bottles with corks just like champagne. To me they taste a million times better than champagne and only cost $10-15 for some of the more common trappists. They even make jumbo bottles for $30...not sure how much is in there though.

Top Bottom