What's new

Chagrin Valley Olivewood Synthetic Brush

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e8c.jpg
C6B6BF5E-5E20-434A-B049-BFA6CD9CF1C5.jpeg
85B69BE5-BFE6-49DA-9318-06B85633A544.jpeg
7FD62CAF-002B-4A2A-9C89-7880F6495AAC.jpeg
E5D83075-2958-4A23-B8FD-A91938338B89.jpeg

Consider further treatment of the olive wood with applications of Boiled Linseed Oil. When you see olive wood kitchen utensils, you'll notice they are all treated to prevent drying and cracking when used in wet environments. Apply the linseed oil with a rag and hand rub it into the wood. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then rub off the excess. The oil will polymerize in contact with oxygen, and additional applicans can be done about every 24 hours.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a lovely looking handle. Hopefully that crack won’t give you any issues.

I love Olive Wood. :001_wub:

OliveWoodCrackedHandle.jpg

But there's NO WAY I would have accepted the brush with that crack. It would drive me crazy every time I picked it up. But that's me. Obviously YMMV.

Gorgeous brush!
How does it perform, the knot?
I assume the handle’s been getting some beautiful patina. And I actually like the crack!
Have you got the shaving soap as well?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
This is one problem with Olivewood, it cracks easily.
I did not know that, good to know.
I don't think I've ever seen or read about a handle made from cypress wood, and I always thought it would be good for shaving brush handles, but maybe there's a reason I've never seen it used for shaving gear.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Gorgeous brush!
How does it perform, the knot?
I assume the handle’s been getting some beautiful patina. And I actually like the crack!
Have you got the shaving soap as well?
Yeah, I have no idea why I like that crack either, but I do. Character maybe?

FarmerTan

I did not know that, good to know.
I don't think I've ever seen or read about a handle made from cypress wood, and I always thought it would be good for shaving brush handles, but maybe there's a reason I've never seen it used for shaving gear.
Is Cypress wood like Cedar? I burn wood for heat, and that stuff is so light in weight... beautiful though.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Is Cypress wood like Cedar? I burn wood for heat, and that stuff is so light in weight... beautiful though.
I wasn't sure so I googled it.😁

Old-growth cypress is rated as being very durable -- more durable than cedar -- but it's hard to find and expensive. Younger cypress is rated as moderately durable. Cedar has a pleasant, aromatic scent while being worked, while freshly cut cypress has a somewhat sour odor.

That's what I read, as to it's accuracy, I dunno? :)

FarmerTan

Old-growth cypress is rated as being very durable -- more durable than cedar -- but it's hard to find and expensive. Younger cypress is rated as moderately durable. Cedar has a pleasant, aromatic scent while being worked, while freshly cut cypress has a somewhat sour odor.

I've only burned what little cedar ever got bent over by a bigger dead tree I was dropping to cut to burn. But it is beautiful, looks and aroma. I was always going to make a cedar chest but never got around to it.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've only burned what little cedar ever got bent over by a bigger dead tree I was dropping to cut to burn. But it is beautiful, looks and aroma. I was always going to make a cedar chest but never got around to it.
When I lived in Arizona I always loved the smell of burning mesquite wood. It would get pretty chilly at night during certain parts of the year, and a lot of people would use fireplaces or outdoor clay chiminea's.
Mesquite is pretty much ubiquitous there and inexpensive.

Yeah, I have no idea why I like that crack either, but I do. Character maybe?
100%!

Kintsugi like.

PS. Don’t fret about it: if it’s stable, it’s added bonus. If it’s not and falls apart, I’m sure they’ll replace it. In the meantime, enjoy it! I have a cracked wooden bowl that I’d pay extra money for NOT having it replaced!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

I used to build outdoor furniture, like Adirondack chairs from cypress or mahogany wood. Both are the best for outdoor (couldn't find teak for a good price and the sizes I needed). I think my friend still has the chairs I made from cypress, got to ask her the next time we speak, they are now some 20+ years old.

About olive wood cracking. It needs to be cured before working with it. At least a year if memory serves me correctly. On a Holy Land Tour our tour guide advised us not to buy nativity sets from a particular site because some had cracking issues purchased there a year earlier.

I would seek a replacement or even return it as it will get worse.

Top Bottom