What's new

New Razor From Lee Valley!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Dropped into my inbox this morning is another in a long line of vintage-inspired reproductions by the folks at Lee Valley:

1711987713307.jpeg

Well worth a look, but of course be mindful of the date.

O.H.

"... it will certainly outlast the user (especially if not wielded with skill). Regular use of the Veritas Classic Double Razor will not only ensure you look your best, it will provide daily reinforcement of the importance of keeping your sharpening skills 'well-honed'."

One of the best 4/1 bits i've seen.

Old Hippie

This is modern, or vintage

OK, O.H.

I gonna' need you to 'splain those to me.

It was Lee Valley's April Fools 2024 offering. I sent them an email congratulating them, and suggested that the slacker who thought that up should get rewarded with a double-double and a box of Timbits*. I also clued them to the existence of the very real Razorine and the RazoRock Switch. I suggested this would go great as a single blade Gem shaver, but later realized that with an SE in it (just like the "design") it would require buying two razors, one for left and one for right. Not really a deal-breaker :rolleyes:

*For our non-Canadian readers, "Timbits" are doughnut "holes" made by the Tim Horton's doughnut chain. A "double-double" is an iconic coffee drink from Tim Horton's a.k.a. "Timmie's" made with two shots of cream and two servings of sugar. And yes, there is in fact a "triple-triple" for those who are catching up on their first bypass operation. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

Chef455 = Blonde, again. :chef:

Oh, they completely had me right at first. I was really groovin' on the design, and interested enough to keep reading. The gory "diagnostic" pictures just made me chuckle -- as I told them I've seen some of that in the mirror, personally. They did make that pencil sharpener a few years back, and I have a couple of their repro tools that are pretty cool. The company markets comic books, too, so on the face of it a razor doesn't seem like a huge leap.

Good fun.

O.H.

I really wish they would get in the DE business.

Like their planes, I’m sure they would come up with some truly innovative designs.

Mmmm…polished stainless with black and brass accents.

Old Hippie

Following up with -- as the late American radio personality Paul Harvey used to say -- "the REST of the story."

After my email to them congratulating them on such a fine joke, a few days later I got a return email from Rob Lee. Yeah; "Lee" as in "President and CEO of Lee Valley Tools." He managed to surprise me in a cool way...

> I can certainly appreciate the credibility of the product, as that’s part of our criteria (we have to make it, and it has to do what
> we say)…. While it works, it does not work well, as it’s incredibly finicky to set up and clogs easily.
> BTW – diagnostic shots are yours truly, shot at home with an iPhone on a tripod…. 😊

The old reporter who still rents space in my head asked for confirmation that the "razor" was not a computer-generated image, and that it had in fact been tried out by him:

> Yes - we made them....and I did use 1....VERY carefully....
> Also stage blood....I'm not THAT committed to accuracy for April Fools day!

So there you go. Gotta love a company that will go that far to have a laugh!

O.H.

Top Bottom