What's new

Cella Vs Cella, what I believe

Well, I couldn't stand not having tried the Cella, so I ordered a brick from WCS. I have to say, the smell concerned me when I first opened the plastic wrap. Thought maybe I had a bad batch, but luckily I have learned to never trust my nose without shaving with a product first. First shave, and I had a lather on my face just like the guy on the package is about 1 minute. (I face lather) Incredibly easy to use, very soothing and comfortable, and the scent did grow on me, and now I love it.

Jeff

However, the vast majority of Master Barbers and wet shavers in Italy (me included) believe that Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima and Cella, Crema da Barba all’Olio di Mandorla are not the same soap. Yes, they are surely very, very similar, but not perfectly the same. Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima is, in my opinion, a slightly superior product compared to Cella, Crema da Barba all’Olio di Mandorla.

If this is true, I see a 1 kilo brick in my future very soon... :thumbup:

Well, I hope I will be able to form an opinion soon; next week I'm ordering the 1kg block, along with some other goodies from

http://www.italianbarber.com/

I'm especially interested in trying a tub of their RazoRock cream/soap/sapone.

But truly, it seems that for me, it would be very hard to improve upon the Cella in the little red tub. For ease of lathering, to quality of lather, to scent, to the way it leaves my face feeling afterward it is just unbeatable.:w00t:

I'll let folks know after I've had a chance to try the...
Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima!
Jeff

Well, after using both for almost a month I'd have to say that in my case the two are nearly identical, with a slight edge to Extra Extra Purissima.

One thing- both soaps function better for face lathering. When used in a bowl or scuttle, I get a lather that seems more like suds than lather. Not that it's a big deal (I lover face lathering Cella with my Omega Pro 49), but is there any trick to bowl lathering with Cella?

Cella has definitely become my standard for soaps.

Jeff

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1: Marco

I couldn't take it anymore. :w00t: I just ordered the 1 kg brick of Cella and 250g of P.160 Tipo Morbido from Italianbarber. I also threw in a tube of Proraso for the free shipping. :001_rolle

Also, I just ordered two Omega brushes yesterday from Shoebox. The 48 (of course!) and the VERY Italian 81569.

I can't wait!! :001_tt1::001_tt1:

I am going to have to do a den clearing. With the arrival of these soaps I think I will have about a 10 year stock. I am up to my ears in Indian creams, too. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cheers!
-Greg

Somebody from a german shaving board had a call with the manufacturer of CELLA recently and the woman on the other end told him as following:

The 1kg brick - "Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima" - is a SOAP.
sapone means soap, if you want: "creamy soap"

The other one in the red bowl - "Crema da Barba all'Olio di Mandorla" - is a shaving cream. same here, its name already gives us the hint: "crema da barba".
loose translation -> "cream for shaving" - real translation would be "shaving cream".

conclusion:
The brick is a soap, the bowl contains a shaving cream. Confirmend by the producer.
what else?

Last edited:
Very interesting topic Marco. Although the ingredients list is the same I believe the quality of the ingredients may be different. After all the 1kg Soap states "Extra Extra Purissma" which could possibly refer to the ingredients as being extra extra pure!

I'm bumping this thread with two questions: was the difference ever confirmed, and what are Italian barbers using now that P.160 has been discontinued? Vitos?

And a few more questions: why would Italian barbers use Proraso, and why isn't Cella more widely used amongst Italian barbers than P.160 was?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm bumping this thread with two questions: was the difference ever confirmed, and what are Italian barbers using now that P.160 has been discontinued? Vitos?

And a few more questions: why would Italian barbers use Proraso, and why isn't Cella more widely used amongst Italian barbers than P.160 was?

Vitos is actually becoming a very successful choice among Italian Master Barbers after P.160 disappeared from the market. Proraso was, is and will probably be the most used soap and cream, since so widely available and loved not only among Master Barbers, but also among Italian men. Regarding Cella, it never had the popularity of P.160 in Italian barbershops. The reason? Maybe more than one. First, P.160 was specifically introduced for professional barbershop use; second, P.160 was easier to find; third, many Italian Master Barbers did like P.160 more than Cella.

Great thread, Marco. It was very informative, as are a lot of your threads. I aspire to write reviews and informative threads as well as you do.

Ugh, these Marco posts always end up costing me money. Since I ordered a brick of Cella I figured I might as well order the La Toja in the bowl as well so I can compare Cellas and La Tojas too.

Ben

Marco, I'm new to the B&B but have been wet shaving for 50-years. I usually do not join forums as they take up to much of my time, but I must tell you, after reading this thread and the Cella thread you wrote about your Grandfather, I decided to join.

I have used Proraso products for the past 40-years and added Cella to my mix about two years ago. I only shave with three soaps, Proraso, Cella, and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thank you for your excellent reviews.

Okay, so I asked Joseph from RazoRock/Italian Barber if his friend got an answer from the person at Nicki Chini about if the two Cella products are the same. This is the quote from Joseph, "Yes, I found out... Ingredients are the same... but there is slight variation in proportion of ingredients... also, the curing of the brick is different." So there we go. Question answered. Thanks Joseph!

I was impressed when I used Cella for the first time...and still am. I love the smell. I love the performance. I love the skin care.

Out of the ten soaps I have I always reach for cella when I want the best shave I can get. I firmly believe that if I started with cella I wouldn't have nearly as many soaps as I do now.

Top Bottom