What's new

Cella lather issue

I recently got a sample of Cella and was getting ready to order the tub. But when I tried it, it gave a thin yet super-fragrant lather. Oddly, the re-lather was much better than the first.

Then I got the idea to use distilled water to soak my brush. I just tried that and got roughly the same results. Usable, but not a thick lather.

First, I tried my new synthetic brush which is a wonder worker and then my Proraso boar brush to scratch up and load more soap.

Definitely OK, but not a thick, long-lasting lather.

My favorite soaps/creams have EDTA in them to fight the hard water. (It's Colorado River water and my online research suggests it's hard, but gives no definite numbers.) Really the water's fine, except for shaving. My favorite soaps are Arko, T&F Number Ten and Proraso Sandalwood cream. Huge lather from all of them.

Is success with Cella a matter of technique? Maybe I'm not loading enough onto the brush?

It sounds like more soap is the answer, my friend. Also, use the search function to look up the “Marco method”. Works great for loading cella and other soft soaps.

I've always found Cella pretty easy to lather even in my hard water. If you do a search for the "Marco method" you'll find a lengthy thread on one way to do it successfully.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
This seems like a shadow thread about this that prompted me to dug out my cella and as this morning. Its fantastic stuff.

I tried Marco with cells and a soft silvertip badger brush and it didn't work well.

With Cella I load for maybe 30 seconds with a lightly wet brush and then go at it in a bowl, adding water until it looks right.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I use a Semougue OC boar and great shaves with Cella. I guess it has a reputation of holding a lot of product.

You mention you use Arko as well.

These are 2 of my favorite soaps. I use them mostly on work days.

Haven't used the other soaps you mentioned.

But here is my take

As mentioned I'd try loading a little more Cella next shave. This gave me better lather results when I had thinner lather from it.

I don't get quite quite as thick of lather with Cella as I do with Arko. Or I just haven't figured it out. But Cella is slicker. They are different styles of soap.

Arko being a true style of soap I'd guess you'd say. And Cella is a croap. Mix between soap and cream. I'm sure you know this. But just in case.

So while they both create lather. They perform a little differently.

I'm no lather master. But every time I try a soap that's new. I found I get better results after I use it few times. Not that I get lousy shaves the first time. You just got to learn the soap to water ratio that you have and see how it performs.

Hope you can get Cella to work for you. It's staying in my rotation.

It sounds like more soap is the answer, my friend. Also, use the search function to look up the “Marco method”. Works great for loading cella and other soft soaps.

This. I often find difficulty with samples, I load my soaps heavy and samples just don't do it for me.

With that said, try mushing up all the samples in a shaving bowl and load heavy OP. Cella is one of the forgiving oldie but goodie soaps unlike the fat which can be finicky.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’ve never had a problem loading Cella but I have a Tub of it to load off. Maybe you do have a sample and it is a little too small.

+3! More product!! Cella has always lathered great for me!!:a14::a14:

Don't use the marco method. The only way to lather cella is to swirl a wet brush for 10 seconds, apply, then add water as needed. It doesn't work from a sample because you need a bowl with soap in it. Italian soft soaps aren't meant to be thick either. If you want to give it a kick, use an additive like cremo or kissmyface.

I find with my hard water it's easy to overhydrate and collapse certain soaps. I'd try loading more product, using less water, and lathering for longer

Another vote for more soap. I use a modified Marco method using a wet but not dripping brush. I then load the brush on the soap for about 20 to 30 seconds. I find that you have to work the lather more to get a rich lather.

Totally love my affairs with Cella shave soap!
My preference is Cella from the kilo brick!

cella art of shaving gillette toggle pinaud clubman penhaligon douro august 17 2016.jpg

I’ve had 3 samples of Cella because it’s one of my favorite baseline comparison soaps. I think the little sample tubs are hard to load from and it really is something you should load like you hate.

I pinch a ~21mm boar knot halfway down the bristles to stiffen and control them and just stab it into the sample tub and twist and wiggle and even with that it either takes forever loading or I get what I can in ~25seconds and lather half my face then repeat for the other side. You should really end up looking like the merry shaving clause character on the tub.

Top Bottom