What's new

Casting Keith-style SWCs

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
When casting, how much if any, does one concern themselves with lead exposure? Are there concerns or precautions one should take?

Ventilation is important. Lead dust is much more of a problem than molten lead. I cast for over 40 yrs and my lead levels were always way below any level of concern. Use gloves and don't lick them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's a big pile for a single cavity mold! Four cavity Lymans get heavy quick. Two cavity is ideal (no pun intended).

Quite right. Economics are a factor ... Double mold is $80 or so.

Love the Lymans but get them used off ebay. Rather a used Lyman steel than new Lee aluminum. I discarded ONE bullet today. Have a much higher fail rate with aluminum molds.

I have read nothing but good things about Lyman 358477; accurate bullet and versatile. You have to choose molds carefully, they are $ but last a lifetime if cared for. In fact I've heard of QC problems with newer ones.

AA

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Agreed. The iron molds hold heat better and you can keep your rhythm going easier than with the aluminums. I got more consistency and better fillout with my Ideals and Lyman molds. I like the RCBS Keith molds too. Sometimes you can get those a little cheaper on the bay.

I have had that mold for well over 50 years now. I initially got it to use for a S&W K 38, but then started loading some light loads for dad's Marlin 336 SC in 35 Remington. I used a Lyman sizer lubricator and the old NRA beeswax/alox lube.

That's a big pile for a single cavity mold! Four cavity Lymans get heavy quick. Two cavity is ideal (no pun intended).
I agree. Back when I started buying the mold plus sizer lubricator and sizer die, it all got rather expensive on a poor college students meager income, so I went the double cavity route. Almost all the molds I have are double cavity. I think the one single cavity I have is for a .58 cal hollow base mini ball.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have had that mold for well over 50 years now. I initially got it to use for a S&W K 38, but then started loading some light loads for dad's Marlin 336 SC in 35 Remington. I used a Lyman sizer lubricator and the old NRA beeswax/alox lube.

Great to hear! I don't seem to mind single-cavity; just cranked up Best of the Doors and let it play ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Just sized and Aloxed 150 of those smart-looking projos, and it's only about half. May be more than 300, which is pretty good for one session. 12-14#?

The Doors were followed by a 22-song Blue Oyster Cult playlist ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Zap’s a different cat for sure. :)

I've read his biography. FZ is worthy of study, an actual artist who did things his own way - and was successful at it.

He disliked guns, but would have been amused by someone peacefully making bullets while appreciating his art.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm gonna have to crank some songs from my youth next time I reload and SWMBO is not at home. She has absolutely no taste in music if it's not Motown or elevator jazz musak.

No Judas Priest? :)

3ruxdb.jpg

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm gonna have to crank some songs from my youth next time I reload and SWMBO is not at home. She has absolutely no taste in music if it's not Motown or elevator jazz musak.

You just need set the right mood.

Top Bottom