What's new

Cast Steel, A New Beginning...

Last week, I was browsing through the bay and for some reason put a base value bid on a well experienced Warranted Cast Steel blade with no Maker's Mark. I forgot all about it and woke up to the congratulations you are a winner email. It was $10 so it was no great expenditure, but it has seen better days. Aside from the rust and pitting, it also had some nose and tail damage.

I was unable to take pics prior, but here are a few of the auction pics before hand.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not wanting to waste the cash or hear dissenting opinions about frivolous ebay purchases, I set out to start cleaning it up. This is my first attempt so I wanted to do everything by hand. My plan was to remove as many of the pits as possible then sand it to a satin finish to help hide the remaining ones. I stopped at a friends house to seek advice about reshaping the nose. He asked if I would like some help with the damage and seemed to make more progress in a few minutes then I did in a few hours.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyway, it's far from finished. I just wanted to post some pics of the progress and see what you think so far.

Regards,

Dale

Looking good!

I have a similar , if narrower width, "cast steel" and if the edge holds up you will have a good shaver.
Some of them are case hardened and will not support the shaving edge when the very thin hardened skin is honed through. I lost one that way.
Yours looks OK with enough blade width left to hone. I would guess that it is pre 1840.
It may be a good idea, for you, to only tape the spine with 3M electrical tape and hone, or send it to one of our hone persons.
Hone Wiki:HERE
The thinner the edge the quicker they hone.
Even when hard the hardness varied across the usable range of shaving razors.

respectfully
~Richard

Lookin' good, chief.

Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbup1:

BTW, I'd probably have bought it for a tenner, too. :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom