What's new

Case Red Imp Wedge

Slowly working thru my restore collection :)
Complete strip down & clean up & tang was re blackened with oxalic acid. Blade was not too bad & responded well to 180 - 600 grit SiC coated buffs followed by compounds on Scotchbrite wheels to finish.
Scales were in bad shape with some black staining & a few dings which mostly sanded out. Only just saved the makers mark on the one side but didn't feel it was deep enough to take the gold paint for the finishing touch so left well enough alone.
Stacked SS washers are from Microfasteners. #0 narrow over #0 standard. NiAg pins. The original pins were big round peins over a single washer but I thought the bullseyes looked better.
On to the next one & I'll start honing when I get a handful ready.

Attachments

• $Picture 1.jpg
    $Picture 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 137
  • $Picture 2.jpg
    $Picture 2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 139
  • $Picture 3.jpg
    $Picture 3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 136
  • $Picture 4.jpg
    $Picture 4.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 134
  • $Picture 7.jpg
    $Picture 7.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 133
Nice!

That bluing is awesome... You gonna fill the letters in with colour, or are you too lazy?

Cheers Marcus. Never seen any with the letters filled & no previous sign of it on this one so leaving it aziz.
So it's that youre too lazy :p

Cool though, i could have sworn i saw one with the lettering in, but i must be thinking of something else.

So it's that youre too lazy :p

Cool though, i could have sworn i saw one with the lettering in, but i must be thinking of something else.

Yup that's it . Hit the nail on the head, haha.
Seriously. I'm sure the tang would have shown any remnants as it was in good nick.
I can only think of C-mons & SRDroescher's with red inlays

Nice work! The combination of red scales and blue tang are stunning. I also appreciate your photography, the details help reduce my learning curve. Thanks for sharing.

This is very nice. Would it be a bad idea to use the oxalic acid on the whole blade? I really like the way that looks.

One more question-Are those Case straights hard to come by? I haven't seen any but I haven't been looking long. I had a case pocket knife a long time ago and it was one of my favorites, I would eventually like to own one of their razors.

My Red Imp has red lettering on the tang. That looks great. Spectacular job on the bluing.

Thanx. Is yours a Case Imp or a Morris or a Ludo?

This is very nice. Would it be a bad idea to use the oxalic acid on the whole blade? I really like the way that looks.

One more question-Are those Case straights hard to come by? I haven't seen any but I haven't been looking long. I had a case pocket knife a long time ago and it was one of my favorites, I would eventually like to own one of their razors.

As with any acid you would need to watch the time & concentration but it could be done.
Not common but not hard to come by. See them on eBay now & then.

Last edited:
Thanx. Is yours a Case Imp or a Morris or a Ludo?

As with any acid you would need to watch the time & concentration but it could be done.
Not common but not hard to come by. See them on eBay now & then.

Okay, I will study up on it. Right now I'm lucky to have a few old razors that I won't feel bad about experimenting on. Thank you!

Just be sparing with the acid. Enough crystals to cover your little fingernail is plenty for 30mm of water

Top Bottom