What's new

Carbor. hone color of coticule?

do some carborundums come in light colors? I typically see darker colors like grey, brown, green, red

but do they come in a tannish color like a coticule? if so, can anyone tell me about them and general characteristics...

Yes, there are barber hones that look like coticules at first glance. See this thread. I don't know if they're made of carborundum, though.

HAHA. I'm almost positive that first one (linked in Bart's first post) is not a coti, but rather a Thuri I was bidding on. Thuri's sometimes demonstrate "two-sided" looks of a yellow stripe up against a green stripe. I've never been lucky enough to get one myself to test, but I've seen several on eBay and have been trying. That one looks like a very subtle example of this type of Thuri. I was Wondering why it went so high. Bart was unfortunately mistaken on his ID as a Coti, but I doubt the buyer will be disappointed. I dropped out a bit after $100.

I'd mention this over there, but I lost my password and there's no recovery feature I can find. :sad:

Last edited:
Could you clean it, and show a couple of pictures from all sides, including the narrow sides?

It could be a natural combo Coticule, worn all the way to the BBW part. Or it could be Coticule slice with a bit of blue, that was originally glued to a base, but separated of it. In that case, you're holding it upside down.
Of course, it can also be something entirely different than a Coticule. Without better pictures, I can't possibly tell.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That perfect rectangle with every corner dead on 90 degrees, with perfect chamfering and the way the surface is scratched (the scratches look like material was "dug out" like a fingernail run through a piece of sidewalk chalk), I'd say it's almost certainly a synth. I would guess corundum. That cut is also very, very common in synth handstones and I've never seen those relative dimensions in a coticule. (Looks about 5x2x0.5).

Last edited:
i actually don't own this. i was going to bid on it and then i thought i didn't need it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3551wt_1139

proxy.php

Top Bottom