What's new

Car shopping

"The only real points on my checklist are, should be sporty..."

and so we get-
Get a real old 30ish? year old Buick or Oldsmobile station wagon from down south. No one else will have one. Should be able to get one in Florida with a great body and frame for less than 5 grand and make it like new for less than 10 grand more. Seriously. "Estate Wagon?"

Ok then..... But should be sporty is why Miata/Corvette/ Mazda3 (kinda- I had one and loved it) Golf GTI, Forte Gt make sense. -But a 30 year old Buick wagon??

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Haha this is pretty recent I think. I do agree with the Asian reliability - but what I have heard is the Toyotas of the world are reliable enough to take abuse (e.g. ignore the paranoid maintenance / replacement that is recommended - and they still survive - and apparently past 5 years most of of us are not good about the 10K services). VW / Audi - weirdly - is now on top of the Consumer Reports reliability (so I definitely recommend those Golfs / GTI's as fun cars). The thing you have to do is just maintain the hell out of it. I have a "bought new" German car from 2008 (2009 model) - street / non-garage parked in NE winters pretty much all its life - now with 140K miles on it and to be honest it still drives like I bought it. Random things go that you just have to expect [brakes / water pumps / compressors etc ] but its all cheaper than buying a new car in my mind and reasonably fun to drive :)
Don't get me wrong: I'd buy a new car every stinkin' week instead of getting gas if I was Rich enough!

I have this in common with Jay Leno: I would have every car or truck I wanted. I've got 10 acres, and probably 8 I would turn into pole barns!

FarmerTan

and so we get-

Ok then..... But should be sporty is why Miata/Corvette/ Mazda3 (kinda- I had one and loved it) Golf GTI, Forte Gt make sense. -But a 30 year old Buick wagon??
It is cool looking Baby! And you could camp in that thing doggone....when you ain't golfing!

And can you say "geriatric chick magnet?!?"

At my age ya gotta keep yer options open! The next time I'm marrying for money. OLD money!!!

TheShaun

Bejeweled

and so we get-

It's an internet forum so I expected to get responses like this. Even more so since it's a shaving forum. lol

I do appreciate the responses and participation thus far

FarmerTan

and so we get-

Check this out: it's parked in front of the place I'm staying!
IMG_20201117_103229952_HDR~2.jpg

Am I right? Chick magnet? With room for her walker and a case of Depends in the back, and yer golf clubs? And a pontoon boat for the water hazards!

Soon to be in the market for a second car. The car won't get much road time so not looking for anything new or over the top. Looking for suggestions or ideas on makes/models to consider. The only real points on my checklist are, should be sporty, and should have trunk space for a set of golf clubs. Budget will be $15K or less. Prefer trunk over hatch. No trucks, jeeps, SUVs, etc.

Couple on my list right now are the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and Scion FRS.

Late to the party, but I've owned several Hyundai's (not this model, though) and have had great luck with them. Reliable, good gas mileage, reasonable repair/maintenance costs.

Thread resurrection: I have the same question. I have a car with low miles that I have owned for 13 years since new, and when I went to shop for a replacement from the same make, I saw that a new one would be twice as expensive, slower, and with an engine that I would consider to be not much bigger or better than a lawnmower engine.

Thread resurrection: I have the same question. I have a car with low miles that I have owned for 13 years since new, and when I went to shop for a replacement from the same make, I saw that a new one would be twice as expensive, slower, and with an engine that I would consider to be not much bigger or better than a lawnmower engine.

Can you tell us what the car is?

Can you tell us what the car is?
Sorry, just saw this. I have a 2nd gen CTS with the 3.6L V6 that is a strong runner. Since the CTS no longer exists, I'd be looking at a CT4 or CT5 with a 4-cylinder turbo engine for nearly twice the price (the CT6 also no longer exists). At this point, since I drive so little, I am even considering a classic car with a pre-smog V8, since I am old enough to be able to work on it.

Top Bottom