What's new

any station wagon owners here? looking to buy a new car

For the money, the Subaru Outback. My wife has one and we love it. It is much more of a station wagon than an SUV.

You could try to find a used SAAB 9-5, too. I had one for several years and drove it for around 115K miles. It was built like a tank. I only got rid of it because we had our 4th kid and it wouldn't fit the family.

thanks for the recommendation. I was on the fence with Mitsubishi, mainly because I never read about them being in the top tier of quality auto companies. How reliable would you say the Outlander is? I'm gonna mention this to the wife tonight and see what she says.

Ours is approaching 120000mls with pretty much nothing but maintanance. We did have a eletrical relay melt down but that happened in mid '06 when we moved down here to AZ and it happened on a day when it was over 125*. Mitsubishi had the ihigh heat version of the part ordered and replaced in a couple days and gave us a loaner in the mean time(we originally bought the car in NoCal, not high heat). Other than that the car has only had the usual, fluid changes, plugs, an AC recharge. I did have the timing belt and other belts replaced last year but that was done as a regular service, not because of anything wearing out. We did put the tow bar on ours and have used it on occasion for light towing but that is pretty rare for us. We do put a rack on the hitch occasionally because we like to camp. Overall we have been extremely happy with ours and the only thing I disliked, not having a small tailgate instead of a hatchback type rear door, they have since changed on the newer models. Would not hesitate to buy one again!

Jay

Look at the Pontiac Vibe. It's a rebadged Toyota corolla/matrix and is a great car. I can give you plenty more advice if you pm me. I like driving the subarus and vw/audis, but cannot recommend one used. list out your shared priorities and I can send you a list to look at.

Oh, and be sure to think about your 85%. If 85% of the time a X would work, is it worth renting or borrowing the other 15? Probably not if you're looking at a Prius. But keep it in mind.

Also, do you have to worry about snow or you on all paved / plowed roads?

Last edited:
You could also consider a Skoda Octavia wagon. They make one which is a similar size to the VW Jetta wagon and if you get a diesel, you'll get good mileage. The plus side is you'll get a lot of crossover with Audi and VW parts and design, but a car that is cheaper because it is assembled in the Czech Republic.

I don't think you'll find too many Skodas in CONUS. Or Citroens or...... well, a lot of Euro or Aussie brands for that matter.

I would love to get a VW Polo wagon in diesel, but I doubt I'd be able to get one in the States. I've decided that when it comes time to get a new car I want a Subaru. We have a dog and a new baby, and are planning on having a second in a few years so a wagon seems the way to go. I've settled on either a Legacy or Impreza, as much as I would love to have a WRX.

I have an Outback and love it. Mine has a 6 cylinder engine and is pretty fast, but doesn't get great gas mileage in local driving. Good solid car that drives well. You're not going to find a new Outback in that price range; you might want to look at the Forester

I have two Dodge Caravans and they seem to do the job well. One of them is a 1996 with 230K miles on it and it still runs great! About the worst thing is that the serpentine belt pulley and belt need replacing every 30K or so (probably $150 including labor at a reputable mechanic). Otherwise they run mainly on routine maintenance (tune-up, battery, tires, etc.) and the Grand Caravan has plenty of room in it for children and (if a seat is folded down) cargo. I haven't even had to replace the exhaust on either van.

+ another for Subaru. Our 2011 Outback gets us 25-26 city, 30 highway. The Impreza suggestion a few posts back is a good one based on your price point. The size determination would be the biggest issue there, but if "prius" and "outback" are being uttered in the same breath, then the Impreza would be perfect. Should be fun to drive, too.

Top Bottom