What's new

Can’t believe I’m saying it...Derby’s are ok.

Emboldened by a good couple of runs with Dorcos, which I thought were almost as bad as Derby’s in the tugging and pulling department, I loaded a fresh Derby from an unopened tuck. I have to say I got a close and comfortable shave. I am using a very good cream, though. I wonder if the Dorco and Derby blades benefited from the Haslinger and Antiga Barberia de Bairro lathers. Maybe my beard is not as tough as when I first tried Derby’s in 2010? I never thought I would arrive at this place...

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
most DE blades are fine. It will depend more on how your particular razor holds them due to the extreme thinness of DE blades. If the blade is clamped far from the edge or not tightly then you will notice more variance in blades. Razors that secure blades tightly don’t suffer as much variance in my experience. Derby are not much different than a Feather in my Karve they don’t vary in how well they cut only in smoothness, the Derby wins

Derby makes a lot of blades, so there have to be folks who like them. However, I am not one of them; they are not sharp enough, even in an aggressive razor. I suspect that both your shaving technique and preshave preparation have improved over the past 10 years to the point that the Derby's now work for you. Also, your previous shaves may not have been made with the same razor. If you are using a different razor today than you were back in 2010, it may be that Derby works better in your new razor.

Typically, as you age, your beard becomes more coarse and more difficult to shave, so I doubt your beard is easier to shave now than it was ten years ago, unless of course, you preshave routine has improved. Proper cleaning and hydrating of your beard plays a big role in how easily your beard can be severed.

I initially thought they were subpar shaves. Imo I was subconsciously influenced by reviews I've read. I recently tried them again after 4 years and really enjoyed them. Smooth, good results. Can't argue with that! The plastic containers are a turn off though, which is why I prefer Shark Chromes.

They are not the same blades they made 4/5 years ago.
The old Derbys were terrible, the new ones I like them a lot in my Fatip.

I tried a Derby blade two days ago because I thought it might be “smooth” due to less sharpness. I had to switch back to my Astra SP mid-shave I hated it so much.

Tigg

most DE blades are fine. It will depend more on how your particular razor holds them due to the extreme thinness of DE blades. If the blade is clamped far from the edge or not tightly then you will notice more variance in blades. Razors that secure blades tightly don’t suffer as much variance in my experience. Derby are not much different than a Feather in my Karve they don’t vary in how well they cut only in smoothness, the Derby wins
Well said

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

When I started DE shaving in 2010, I bought a Merkur 34C. I have used this razor as my daily since 2010. So that hasn't changed. I think I may have received this tuck free with the purchase of EJ razors for my daughters and wife a couple years ago. Maybe these are the newer version. I was absolutely floored that I didn't have to pitch the blade after the first swipe. So maybe it isn't the new cream...

I used a new Derby Extra in my 34C Monday, and I had very good results. I did find that the blade required a few extra touch-ups, but there seemed to be no possibility of nicking myself as I touched up the trickier areas on my face. I have a sampler with some Derby Premiums on the way, and I'm looking forward to trying those.

They are not the same blades they made 4/5 years ago.
The old Derbys were terrible, the new ones I like them a lot in my Fatip.

Guess I marked them off my list in the old days. May need to revisit the ‘new’ Derby options (once I get through some of my current blade stash.)

When I started DE shaving in 2004-2005, there weren't many DE blades to choose from. Derby was about the only budget brand available. Feathers, one of the only other blades easily available, were a little better but way more expensive So I went through lots of Derbys. I always got good results.

I like Derby blades. Also quite happy with Bic and Sharks as well.

I find that to be a strange grouping. I find Derby Extra and Sharp Super Chorme to be too dull for my coarse beard. I have tried them on multiple occasions and cannot get a decent shave. On the other hand Bic Chrome Plaitinum blades (especially after the first shave) are some of the sharpest blades available. Thus, I find it strange that you like all three.

I find that to be a strange grouping. I find Derby Extra and Sharp Super Chorme to be too dull for my coarse beard. I have tried them on multiple occasions and cannot get a decent shave. On the other hand Bic Chrome Plaitinum blades (especially after the first shave) are some of the sharpest blades available. Thus, I find it strange that you like all three.
I have similar preference which suggests to me that measured sharpness is not as important as coatings, bevel, etc. at least for some.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have similar preference which suggests to me that measured sharpness is not as important as coatings, bevel, etc. at least for some.

Interesting discussion. Beards vary in coarseness/toughness and skin varies in sensitivity. Also, razors play a big part in how a blade works. I find that some blades work will in some razors, but not in all. Some razors can use nearly any blade. I need a blade that is both very sharp, yet very smooth, so I avoid blades like Shark Super Chrome and Derby Extra, but Shark has a new blade called Shark Platinum that I find to be both sharp and smooth. You might want to try the later blades.

Interesting discussion. Beards vary in coarseness/toughness and skin varies in sensitivity. Also, razors play a big part in how a blade works. I find that some blades work will in some razors, but not in all. Some razors can use nearly any blade. I need a blade that is both very sharp, yet very smooth, so I avoid blades like Shark Super Chrome and Derby Extra, but Shark has a new blade called Shark Platinum that I find to be both sharp and smooth. You might want to try the later blades.
I have real doubts about a lot of subjective reporting on blades, I'll just leave it at that. My BIC and Treet Platinums work well enough for me despite being quite different in measured sharpness, I feel no need to go looking for differences in blade/razor matching imagined or otherwise.

Top Bottom