What's new

Can someone explain this to me?

Hi guys,

First of all, English is not my native language. I'm very interested in the following towel technique posted by another user but I have some difficulties understanding how it works. The problems I have are not with the language itself but with the procedure explained.

One conclusion i've come to from trying to use the hot towel method (Kyles prep) is that your face is much less sensitive to heat than your fingers. The problem is: After having soaked the towel with extremely hot (or even boiling) water, how do I manage to pick up the towel and squeeze out the excess water without burning alive my fingers? Right know the only solution is to wait until the water and towel cool down or add cold water. The following text seems to have the answer but I just can't figure it out. Could someone give me an explanation for dummies or post pics, it would help me so much!

Thanks!

Start with an open towel and soak with hot water from the sink and get the inner portion of the towel. As it soaks you roll the towel up into a tight roll and let the water soak into the sides of the towel. It will get into the rest of the towel. One end should be facing up towards the faucet at this point. Then and this is really important, you squezze the towel very tightly so that your hands start at the bottom of the towel and end up on TOP of the towel as you hold it perpendicular to the floor over the sink. This is important because the water should be hot enough to be perfect for your face but too hot for your hands to allow water to run down on top of them, therefore you want your hands on top of the towel. Squeeze out all the water.

Now, unclear to most people is the towel when done should not be wet. It should be moist. Place the hot moist (not wet) towel, over your face and let the steam draw out the oils of your face AND soak your beard through steamy moisture, NOT water. Your not trying to soak your face as most people erroneously believe.

Then go on to the perfect shave. You can now eliminate all those "shaving oils" you've read about.

That concludes today's lesson in old time barbering.

I soak my towel with cold water, sqweeze it, and then microwave it for 1 minute 50 seconds. This way there's no burning of hands. :biggrin:

try gripping the towel and squeezing as if holding motorcycle handles that is with palm facing down on top and fingers at bottom that allows most of the hot water to flow through your fingers instead of burning as much

I find that HOT water actually irritates the face, therefore, you want the towel to be hot, but still as dry as possible. Using the towel technique you are looking for the STEAM that comes from the hot towel rather than the hot water

I find that HOT water actually irritates the face, therefore, you want the towel to be hot, but still as dry as possible. Using the towel technique you are looking for the STEAM that comes from the hot towel rather than the hot water

But I imagine that even if you squeeze the towel to it's maximum, it's always going to be wet to some degree. By using only hot water it's very difficult to only steam the towel without weting it.

Top Bottom