What's new

Can closer and more frequent DE shaves change the softness of your skin?

True. Look at old photos of men who used straights and basic DEs and SEs (e.g., 1880s-1940s). They look like us, only they dressed like adults.
How tragically true that last statement is. I think a forum all to itself focused on how men dress would be heavily subscribed.
It's revolting to see the sloppiness and vulgarity of how many men (and women) dress these days.
Sad to say, America is the worst (in my experience). Go to almost any European country and you see people dressing (mostly) like adults especially going out for dinner, at work, at key events.
Off topic of course, but hits a nerve with me. Hope I didn't offend anyone - just one guy's view.

My wife says my skin is much better now. I use bar soap or canned goo and no aftershave...about 2-3 times a week apply some hand lotion, but any improvement really would have to be due to the effect of DE shaving. So my vote is that DE shaving is good for the skin.

BTW - I live south of Tucson and spend a lot of time outdoors, so my skin ought to be a test lab on how leathery it can get - and it isn't happening.

I don't think that is true. Shaving, in addition to beard reduction / removal is also exfoliating. Most shaving creams and soaps have a moisturizing element to them. I imagine if every time you shave, you cut yourself deep enough to leave scars then over time you will become a leatherface. This is the only way I can wrap my mind around such a possibility. Many of the soaps and creams I use have aloe, shea butter, lavender oil and chamomile for starters and these ingredients fight dryness and irritation.
This seems most plausible to me.

Although I do wonder about the effects of using Alum or strong alcohol aftershaves on a regular basis.
Alum in particular does a weird thing to my skin...makes it feel very "grippy", as if every last drop of oil has been extracted or something.
And all the stinging/burning of the alcohol just doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Last edited:
there are DE shaving trolls??? wow!!! I don't see how DE shaving would make your face any more 'leathery' than daily shaving with a straight or a cart. if anything wetshavers take more time post-shave balming/moisturising etc so I would think their skin would be more supple than those that do not.

its uncalled for, to accuse someone of trolling just for asking an entirely plausible question.
you need to have a thicker skin, haha, pun intended!

True. Look at old photos of men who used straights and basic DEs and SEs (e.g., 1880s-1940s). They look like us, only they dressed like adults.

Part of the confusion might be that Hollywood often cast rugged swarthy looking guys in some of those old westerns/war movies etc and occasionally showed them getting a barbershop shave, which might lead some to make the connection between the shave methods of the time and the skin of the actors. but its a false conclusion because 1) theyre modern day actors meant to convey a certain esthetic, guys that look like Sam Elliott or R. Lee Ermey, not Justin Bieber 2) even if the skin appearance were historically accurate, it would have a lot more to do with the outdoors lifestyle, working conditions, no sunscreen etc of the period. ie. if I have rough looking skin, is it because I work or ride a horse in the hot sun all day, every day, or is it because of what I use for 10min a day to shave?

Last edited:
DE shaving has improved my skin. Have skin issues with tags and moles. Carts would irritate and cause razor bumps and burn. My prep really didn't change, rarely used canned goo, still shave in the shower. Wifey has noticed a difference.. That's all that matters!

Shaving soap is by far the nicest thing I put on my body. I'm 57 and the only thing that I've ever bathed or shampooed with is a bar of soap.

No more razor burn, bumps & ingrown hairs coupled with moisturising from quality creams/soaps and aftershaves... Yes, is my answer.

Carts use too many blades, and since the angle doesn't work for everyone,everywhere the pressing really irritates me.

I have found de to improve my skin a tad. Just don't shoot for bbs and take a disciplined 2-3 pass approach and if it's not perfect, that's what tomorrow is for.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There is no doubt that my skin is better than it was before I started DE shaving. No doubt at all.

There is no doubt that my skin is better than it was before I started DE shaving. No doubt at all.
+1

And it's not just the "exfoliation" from shaving IMHO. It's being more aware of skin condition/care...I wash my face 2x/day with a mild natural soap (Tom's of Maine Sensitive, Natural Beauty Bar Soap with Soothing Chamomile) whether I shave or not, and follow up with Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic...good to go! And skin looks and feels great.

Dermatologists say that men who shave often have, generally speaking, younger looking skin than those who do not. The process of exfoliation, done properly, is actually good for your skin.

Top Bottom