What's new

Can any kiwis recommend a natural after shave balm thats easily accessible?

Just as the title says, would be great to hear if we have anything special around. I've checked out common sense organics but they didn't have much aside from weleda which seemed pretty expensive. I did pick up some which hazel while i was there though.

Thanks in advance.

And when i say natural i mean it only to steer the recommendations in the right direction.. i'm fully aware chemicals are chemicals no matter where they come from and that some are good and some are bad and some bad ones are inconsequential in low doses etc etc etc...

The Proraso Blue aftershave balm is awesome it's available from The Mancave. It has no parabins or such stuff in it ... not sure if that's natural enough for you but it does have a great scent.

www.mancave.co.nz

I can also vouch for the Proraso Blue. I have sensitive skin that is easily upset by anything with strong fragrance and this balm has been great so far (only several days of use). Available from:

fineshave.co.nz - local, based in North Shore
shaving.ie - Ireland

Loads of online details of artisan producers of natural, organic, vegan, you name it shaving products. I've not launched into these yet, other than ordering some Haslinger Aloe Vera shave soap, but maggardrazors.com is a good place to start your research.

Alex

Not a range I am familiar with, but looks very interesting - all plant based ingredients. The list of stockists in NZ (main supermarkets) means it is readily available. Good prices too. Anyone tried this?

An aftershave balm is essentially a moisturiser. No one spends more money on moisturisers than women and the amount of money that goes into researching and developing them is in the millions. If you can put aside the paradigm that says that aftershave balms need to be specifically "male" (cue branding exercises involving pirates, surfing, hand-gliding and motor-cross racing), there are fantastic products that you can pick up from any supermarket that work brilliantly. I'll try anything but my current favourite (which also meets your "natural" requirement) is "Nivea Pure & Natural Moisturising Day Cream" (c.$13) which recently beat Crème de la Mer ($520!) in a Consumer magazine blind-test. No fragrance, very light, absorbs quickly, no greasy shine, available at just about any supermarket (even our local Pak n' Slave has it); and it makes a great aftershave balm. The only problem is that my wife is always rummaging in my shaving drawer and nicking my stash (I think it started when she found out that Princess Catherine is also a fan... :).
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/beauty/85513907/13-moisturiser-outperforms-520-product-in-Consumer-NZ-test

Top Bottom