What's new

Campsite shaving

I usually shave with the teeth of the first grizzly bear I kill with my bare hands. I use the bark of a tree to exfoliate my face and pure gin as my aftershave.

On a related note, how is it that I'm the only one who's never gone camping?

For 12 months I shaved with cold water in a steel pot (long before the Fritz), a super speed, what ever blade was in the re-supply, and canned goo.
You have not experienced shaving until you are half way through and hear an incoming round go over your head!
To add some clarity, I was in the Cavalry, force recon. We went out and stayed out. No base camp return.

I take a Schick Injector and a tube of Cremo Cream for WTG passes only, just to keep it knocked down and manageable.

In my part of the country, we don't worry about bears, but bugs...some as big as bears. They tend to be attracted to the sweeter smelling stuff.

I don't use a str8t, yet, but I dream of a picnic table, a wash basin of warm water, a small mirror, and a str8t shave, in the woods.

aargh...aargh,
Jim

If you're camping, don't shave!! That's a rule in the man book! Seriously, when I go backpacking, I'm voluntarily giving up civilization for a while and that includes shaving. You'll survive, I promise. If you go into real remote areas like we do, you won't see anyone but your fellow backpackers anyway and if you look and smell clean-shaven, you'll look like a 'day-hiker' or a beginner backpacker-----you don't want this! Space and weight in a pack is always at a premium anyway. Furthermore, unless you plan on saving all your used shaving cream and whiskers and rinse water and packing it out, you're adding a lot of pollution to the wilderness areas. Your first shave back in civilization will be that much more enjoyable!!

Take a mirror by all means. Pretty rough trying to use your pickup side mirror.... that say Objects May Be Closer Than They Appear!

I'll be heading into the woods for an extended weekend. I'll have access to fresh water, but not actual plumbing. What do I need to bring to get a decent campsite shave?

The better question is: With what will you be shining your shoes?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'll be heading into the woods for an extended weekend. I'll have access to fresh water, but not actual plumbing. What do I need to bring to get a decent campsite shave?
If you're only gone for a few days...no need to shave, but if you must shave (with hot or cold water), take the bear minimum of tools (travel goo, no AS [might attract bears and other critters to your site]), travel mirror and a small basin). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Camping and being a former boonie rat]...has opened the earth to me and let me sense the rhythms and hierarchies of nature". Charles Fergus

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Why not? A shave does wonders for personal morale.
proxy.php
...and it gives me a sense of ‘wholeness’ and I am still ‘civilianized’in the midst of any environment (camping, in the field, combat zones, ect..).
attachment.php

proxy.php
"[Camping and being a former boonie rat]...has opened the earth to me and let me sense the rhythms and hierarchies of nature". Charles Fergus

Can I reccommend going biodegradable or natural herbal ingredients.

To avoid bears and bugs I'd go unscented if at all possible.

I don't know any that fit this bill but Google is your friend. I'm sure you can find something.

When I go camping I don't take any shave gear with me out in the woods. IF I'm going to be stopping somewhere on the way back home I'll have a shave kit and decent clothes in the truck, but that is a rarity. Now when I'm gone sailing I take either my straight or khaki set and whatever soap I like, a brush and a wash basin that stays aboard :D

I've gone on several week-long trips in the backcountry backpacking and we NEVER shave-----too much else to enjoy and/or be concerned/occupied with!! Not only that, but the LAST thing we want to see in the otherwise pristine wilderness is a big foamy mess from someones shave polluting the place we get our water from for our meals and coffee!!

If you're clean-shaven on the trail, it's a sure sign of a 'day-hiker or newbie'. Skip it and save yourself the weight, time, and space and the environment besides!

I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and I'll admit that after about three days it starts to irritate the hell out of me. But lets not complicate the matter. Bring a disposable and shave with whatever soap you have on hand. Girls bring mirrors. You should be able to shave with your eyes shut by now.

We camp all summer, but have a small trailer with a sink and hot water tank. When I can't get to a clean campsite washroom (we always camp in provincia parks, so they are clean and shave friendly), I use my travel bag with shave sticks, simpson case and a gillette slim.

Even when camping, I like to start the day with a smooth face, gives me some "me time" before I hit the water, trails etc with the wife, kids and dog.

Top Bottom