What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

Thanks! If these were bigger they could be a replacement for my plastic Melita dripper.
Kalita does make the next bigger size. And similar shaped ceramic drippers can also be found under brand names like Beehouse, Bonmac, and Tiamo among others. With varying number of drainage holes, but sharing the same cone shaped design. I may get a larger size in a different color, but that would mean using my other brewing gear less often.

I cannot say whether having 1 or 2 or 3 holes is better or worse with these cone shaped drippers. But I might think having 2 or 3 holes will help with the larger batch sizes as the weight of the coffee and water compresses everything down more.

In general the cure for a slow pour is to grind the coffee more coarsely. If using pre-ground coffee meant for auto-drip then one may just have to brew less each time if the pour is too slow and becoming over-extracted.

Are those their Black Cat cups? I just got a couple of those, cappuccino size, about a month ago and have used them nearly every day since then. Love em!

Sure are, I used my Vivace café ones for a long time but these are perfect and pouring latte art in these are a easy.

Just made a jump and going to try doing some pour over just ordered from Blue bottle coffee.

Drip Coffee Starter Kit
Bonmac #4 Filters
Wood-Handled Pouring Kettle
El Salvador Tres Limites Natural
Bonmac Ceramic Dripper

Just made a jump and going to try doing some pour over just ordered from Blue bottle coffee.

Drip Coffee Starter Kit
Bonmac #4 Filters
Wood-Handled Pouring Kettle
El Salvador Tres Limites Natural
Bonmac Ceramic Dripper

They don't say how many holes are in the dripper. Do you know?

proxy.php

Didn't look into that, sorry. I'll shoot them an email and ask if you'd like.

Doesn't really matter. The true Melitta clones are 1 hole like the Melitta but some have 2 others 3 holes. I have a Bee House which is 3 hole. Also have a Melitta #2, #3 AND a whopper #6 which you rarely see any more as it makes an enormousness pot of coffee. All of the Melitta brand dripperes (that I have anyway) are 1 hole.

About the only thing that would make the 1, 2, or 3 hole Melitta style drippers different would be the flow rate which equates to the grind you need to use.

Once you get it then you will know how to grind for it. No point bothering them. Ceramic Melitta clones are nice and there are some who prefer them to every other brew method. I like the Bee House but I think I like the smoothness that comes through the Chemex (I am sure this is mostly because of the filters they make for it). In fact I am having my first after dinner coffee made with my larger (6 cup) Chemex brewer using Mexican Chiapas which is some of the best coffee I have ever tasted. I MUST get back to the roasting house to get more of the green batch he has. It is amazing.

That kettle looks pretty cool! I like how the handle is positioned to be out of the way of rising steam. Not like the doggone Hario kettle I have.

I used my BeeHouse today and I was wrong.

It is a 2 hole Melitta clone not a 3 hole as I stated earlier.

Need to clear this up as I would not want someone to purchase one based on some erroneous statement I made without checking first (my bad)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Got a Bodum travel press for work, and an Oolong and White tea, all from a place called World Market. This is my entry to loose leaf. The press was $20 and the teas $10 each. Yeah, I could have gotten cheaper online, but was out with the wife and thought "what the heck?"

Attachments

• $20140310_192610.jpg
    $20140310_192610.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
$2014-03-10 20.29.19.jpg

The second half of my tea order finally arrived
Xiaguan Jia Ji Tou 2006
Menghai 7542 2007 50g sample
some really strong Dong Ding, man this stuff is not for an empty stomach lol
and some added Rou Gui as I love this stuff

Though not what I was originally planning to get, I had an offer too good to refuse. I also got a Bonavita kettle and a chemex 6 cup. I'm in deep.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 119
Though not what I was originally planning to get, I had an offer too good to refuse. .

Is that the Breville infuser model?

let us know what you think of the Chemex. Maybe I'll start a thread about Chemex brewers so everyone can comment and add their tips and tricks that they use so others can get more out of their brewers

Top Bottom