What's new

C.V. Heljestrand Nº4 restore - regrind/rescale

I got this Heljestrand Nº4 sometime ago - the blade was in good condition apart from the obvious chunk missing from the heel... it'd be a shame to leave it like that - and with so much inspiration coming from this forum, I went to work.

This was my first blade regrind, and also the first time I worked with horn :)

this is the blade as I got it :

proxy.php

marked the area to remove before regrinding :

proxy.php

after regrinding the blade and also the shoulder area :

proxy.php

and the final result - I rescaled it in buffallo horn, with a bone wedge :

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's all, hope you guys enjoy it - I know I enjoyed doing this one :)

Very nice.

From the first photo, I was afraid you would grind it horizontally, turning it into a "toothpick" :biggrin1: I'm glad you didn't.

Interesting! Glad to see you saved this one instead of chucking it. Great work with the scales too, that's a wonderful pattern in that horn

Interesting! Glad to see you saved this one instead of chucking it. Great work with the scales too, that's a wonderful pattern in that horn

Thanks - it was my first work with horn, and I really like the way it came out, with part of it being translucent and showing that pattern !

What did you use to grind it? Did you control the heat?

I used a dremel with a sanding disk and held the blade securely in a vice. All the area close was wrapped in a wet cloth that I kept spraying with cold water every few seconds - grind a little, move dremel away, spray blade/cloth, grind a little again and so on. As long as you're patient and careful, it'll be ok. Most of the grinding was done away from the thin edge too - the farther away from the edge you're grinding, the less of a problem it is.

Very well done. I have a western style folding kamisori thats a similar length it reminds me of (the blade length that is.....yours is much cooler).

How does it shave? I've wondered about using a short blade with a long shank like that.

I haven't shaved with this one yet, but I started straight shaving with a Feather non-folding, and I really enjoy the short (around 2") blades - they're very maneuverable, and the short edge makes them "easier" to sharpen.

I haven't shaved with this one yet, but I started straight shaving with a Feather non-folding, and I really enjoy the short (around 2") blades - they're very maneuverable, and the short edge makes them "easier" to sharpen.

another thing that i really like is how you ground the double stabilisers to the bare hollow that must of taken some skill
how did you do it ?

Top Bottom