What's new

C&E: Tube vs. Tub

Gentlemen, I was checking in at a local C&E in case they were clearing out the sweet almond oil products (they weren't, but I purchased a cake of the soap anyway) and had a pleasant chat with the sales lady there. She was kind enough to share that, while the scents are identical, the cream formulations are actually different in the tubs and tubes, with the tubes more moisturizing and the tubs more dense. I wonder if the tub contains a more concentrated version of the same product or if the formulas are actually different. If those that have experimented with both the tubs and tubes could share their shaving experiences with both of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

...Or the woman doesn't know what she is talking about....

Honestly, I would doubt they are different other than consistency, but what do I know anyway? :confused:

A distinct possibility, Scott. The fact that the tubs cost significantly more per unit than the tubes would seem to support the theory that the tubes are merely less concentrated, no?

Stephen,
If you break it down by cost per ounce:

Tubes - 3.5oz - $15 - $4.29 per oz
Tubs - 5.29oz - $25 - $4.73 per oz

Now also take into consideration that the tube is a relatively cheap way to pack an item versus a glass tub.

All things considered, cost is very similar between formats.
(Yes, I am a huge geek.)

Yes Kyle, it would seem that one is paying an extra $2.50 for the glass container, which seems reasonable. The one caveat I would have is that the price per oz. should be going down when the quantity purchased increases. In actuality then, it would seem reasonable to suppose a hypothetical dillution of perhaps 5% of the tube in order to offer the volume at the same price (minus the reasonably estimated $2.50 cost of the glass tub), would it not?

(And yes, you are a huge geek. But if someone cares that what a geek says is correct and descends into the realms of geek-dom in order to discuss the answer with him, does that not seem to indicate that such a person perhaps has an inner geek hidden deep inside?)

Scotto said:
...Or the woman doesn't know what she is talking about....

Honestly, I would doubt they are different other than consistency, but what do I know anyway? :confused:

Scotto has a point - not all of the people who work at C&E stores know much about the products... and especially not a lot about the shave-related products. In fact, SWMBO was in a C&E a couple of months ago and the salesperson actually talked her out of purchasing anything for me because none of their products would produce a lather when used with a brush. Really, this is what the C&E salesperson told SWMBO. I'm not saying that everybody who works there is ill-informed, but at least one of them is...

Xert said:
Yes Kyle, it would seem that one is paying an extra $2.50 for the glass container, which seems reasonable. The one caveat I would have is that the price per oz. should be going down when the quantity purchased increases. In actuality then, it would seem reasonable to suppose a hypothetical dillution of perhaps 5% of the tube in order to offer the volume at the same price (minus the reasonably estimated $2.50 cost of the glass tub), would it not?

(And yes, you are a huge geek. But if someone cares that what a geek says is correct and descends into the realms of geek-dom in order to discuss the answer with him, does that not seem to indicate that such a person perhaps has an inner geek hidden deep inside?)
Very good point, but remember, C&E is not in this to make our lives better, easier, more enjoyable, more fair, etc. They are in it to make MONEY, end of story. As long as we will pay what they are asking, they will keep asking.

Xert said:
...The one caveat I would have is that the price per oz. should be going down when the quantity purchased increases...

This is common, but is not necessarily the case. If you've taken an economics course you have heard of "returns to scale" and this is a "returns to scale" type of thing. The price per quantity often decreases as the number of units purchased increases (decreasing returns), but sometimes the per unit price remains the same as the number of units purchased increases (constant returns) while sometimes the price per unit will actually increase as the number of units increases (increasing returns).

Xert said:

Don't be afraid to let your Geek Flag fly!:w00t:

Xert said:
Gentlemen, I was checking in at a local C&E in case they were clearing out the sweet almond oil products (they weren't, but I purchased a cake of the soap anyway) and had a pleasant chat with the sales lady there.

The tub of Sweet Almond Oil is indeed on sale to the tune of 50% off or $12.50 which is very nice. I got some yesterday at the local C&E.

I have news for whoever thinks that they are merely hinting at their inner geek by responding to kyle. The fact that you are a registered member of a forum dedicated to shaving...pretty much implies you are a geek. Another test is to tell SWMBO that you are a registered member of a shaving forum, she'll either tell you flat out that you are a geek, or she might say that its interesting (sincerely) and then you know for sure that you are not only a geek, but a geek in a relationship with another geek.

As far as C&E goes, I visited yesterday to get a brush and they weren't pushy with me at all. I think its because the reps were both female and figured that if I was asking for shaving stuff I must have known what I was doing. And they were good about offering samples. Generally though, people in retail who know something are few and far between.

jduffy said:
The tub of Sweet Almond Oil is indeed on sale to the tune of 50% off or $12.50 which is very nice. I got some yesterday at the local C&E.
Is this everywhere? I called my local C&E and they said no sale.

Top Bottom