What's new

Buzz cutting your own hair & back of neck area?

Hey B&B.

My fiancee usually cuts my hair for me at home (I like having very short hair, #2 and the neck is shaved with a DE), but she's out of town and it's time for a haircut. For those who buzz cut their own hair, how do you handle the back of the neck area? If I give myself a #1 all over, is it really necessary to shave the neck too? I imagine if I trim it with a #2 and don't cut the neck, it will look pretty strange, so I'm curious about the #1. I'm not sure if I'm ready to shave it all the way down, though, but we'll see. :wink2:

Legion

Staff member
i don't understand the problem.

proxy.php

I normally buzz mine..I need to find my clippers and attachments..they're around here somewhere. My hair is getting quite massive and unruly.
I tend to use the longest attachment (forget what number it is) so it isn't too bad.
But after that I use a body hair trimmer that gets even closer and use it on the back of the neck.

#1, I don't think the neck would be a problem.
#2, ya... the "fuzzies" that run down the sides of your spine might look "off"... but you can always hit your neck with a beard trimmer or a quick WTG pass with a cart.

Worst case, handle the buzz yourself, then kick a barber $5 to clean up your neck.

I use two mirrors to see he back of my neck to square/clean it up with a straight razor - works great (with a little practice).

I've cut my own hair for almost a year now. I use a #7 usually on the top and a #3 on the sides, blending with a #5 usually. I don't worry about shaving my neck, but I do run a #2 or #1 (or if I'm feeling in the zone, I use a #1/2). I check the back using a tri-folding mirror and looking through like Jeremy said.

I don't have the nerve to take a razor behind my head yet.

I don't have the nerve to take a razor behind my head yet.
LOL!

Been headshaving since 2006.
Been using some kind of cart to shave the "fuzzies" from the back of my neck ever since I started getting my hair cut short enough to be concerned about that.

I use two mirrors, much like JKH does, and a construction chalkline which I use to get the back. I literally follow the blue line. It's unorthodox but it works very well for me, just make sure you have the chalkline straight if you use this method.

I've been curious about cutting my own hair, but can't quite get up the nerve to go out and buy clippers. I do shave my neck with my DE razor once a week. Not that hard with a handheld mirror and reaching around.

Mike, you epitomize what scares me...the multiple blade guards used, the concept of "blending". I'd be quite fearful I'd look hideous.

I always used to buzz with the clippers, but felt it was never right.
I let my ex do it(before she was my ex), she got creative, and tried to square off the back,
and it was so bad I had to shave my head...
I let it grow out, and found a good barber. $7 for a haircut every 5 weeks. $10 with tip.

I always buzz my own---anywhere from #2-4 on top and #1-2 on sides/back. I don't find it too difficult to use a DE (usually a SS or my HD) on the back of my neck, so that's what I usually do! Hold a hand mirror in your non-shaving hand with your back to the wall mirror and go. A little experimentation and practice and it will be as easy as shaving the front of your head!! :D Really not too tough. The trickiest thing is to angle the head to match the edge shape where your hair ends, but again, just tilt the razor around till it's where you want before starting your stroke and you'll be fine------I've been doing this for years.

I've been curious about cutting my own hair, but can't quite get up the nerve to go out and buy clippers. I do shave my neck with my DE razor once a week. Not that hard with a handheld mirror and reaching around.

Mike, you epitomize what scares me...the multiple blade guards used, the concept of "blending". I'd be quite fearful I'd look hideous.
I found what I thought to be the best pack of a razor with clippers at Target for under $20. It's a Wahl found here, and it went from sizes 1/2 to 8. For $20, it's not the most expensive set and it paid for itself in two or three months.

I was nervous about using it at first by myself, but I was tired of either waiting on someone to cut my hair for me, or driving 20 minutes to a barber that I didn't know (my old one retired and moved to Florida). So I just decided to try it. I used to try an 8 on the top, 3 on the sides, but that was a pain to blend, but now I just go usually a 3,5,7 for sides, corners, and the top. I blend with the 5 (sometimes I throw in the 4 and 6) by both looking in the mirror, but also from feeling how high up my head I went. I still get compliments about my haircut.

As a side note about these clippers (not sure about others) is that they have a lever that pushes the guard up a half step to help with blending. Basically, I do the top, sides, then I blend and use that feature to knock of the sharp corners and look smooth.

I've cut my own hair for years now. I use a Panasonic clipper with an adjustable setting so I don't change clipper heads. It's maybe an inch on top and a half inch on the sides, and I use an electric razor to trim the back of my neck. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes. I would recommend it, it's awkward to start but you learn quickly.

I always buzz my own---anywhere from #2-4 on top and #1-2 on sides/back.
+1

The shorter you go the easier it is.

When I was buzzing, I'd run a #4 on top, and the taper guard in an arc over the ears and across the back.

I did that for a couple of years and then decided it wasn't worth the effort when the forehead started getting close to the bird's nest, so I buzzed it all the way down with a #1, looked at it, took it down with no guard, then figured to heck with it and grabbed the Mach-3.

I don't use not steeken mirrors. Just smoke. And a straight razor.

More truth to that than most know.

Try a headshave with a straight and you'll do better without a mirror.
100% by feel and it works great. Stand in front of a mirror and you end up moving your head into odd positions and will roll up a piece of skin at the top of your neck... the slice it off.

Yes, I speak from experience.

For guys those of us with a buzz, there's no reason and no need to go to a barber shop!! I'll keep the cash in my own pocket, thank you. A buzz cut with the depth gauges is truly 'fool-proof' and even with a little manual dexterity and practice, it's easy to do tapers, fades, etc. so why spend the extra time and $$$$ when you can buy a nice clipper set for the cost of a couple barber visits? Obviously, if you have something other than a buzz, a barber makes more sense for you possibly, or if you just like to go there to shoot the breeze, but for me, I'll take the $$$ and time savings and the freedom and ease of cutting my own hair. Before I went with a buzz, I spent many hours and dollars at barber shops, but no more!!! :)

Top Bottom