What's new

Buying my first "real" brush, I can't decide...

Hey Everyone,

Looking for a little help from the group. I've narrowed it down to two:

Saville Row 3226 26mm Silvertip or Shavemac 426 26mm Silvertip.

I use both cremes and soaps equally. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Right now I don't have several brushes so it would be my everyday brush (I use the AOS pure badger now which will be my travel brush going foreword)

Thanks for the help!
Scott

Shalom, Rog1!

FWIW, I've found that shaving brushes with large heads (both fan- and bulb-shaped) make me feel like a housepainter, when I'm lathering my face. OTOH, my newly-rebristled (by Shavemac) bulb-shaped, small-knot (18mm) makes me feel like an artist.

The difference is in the degree-of-control I have in applying the lather: lathering my upper-lip with a large-headed brush is a guarantee for lather-plugged nostrils; but with my small-headed brush, I'm a veritable Vincent Van Gogh.

I also prefer pure black badger over silver-tip, but that's taste; size is physics. YMMV, but I wanted to point it out to you, just in case...

Smooth shaving!

Hey Everyone,

Looking for a little help from the group. I've narrowed it down to two:

Saville Row 3226 26mm Silvertip or Shavemac 426 26mm Silvertip.

I use both cremes and soaps equally. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Right now I don't have several brushes so it would be my everyday brush (I use the AOS pure badger now which will be my travel brush going foreword)

Thanks for the help!
Scott

My understanding is that they are, if not exactly the same, extraordinarily similar grades of hair. I would suggest going with whichever handle design you prefer, or if no preference, whichever is least expensive. Best of luck.

J

Scott,
I bought my 3118 Savile Row from Charles at QED and my Shavemac from Bernd at Shavemac in Germany. I recieved great customer service from both and would not hesitate to use either again. Jim at Vintage blades is also an A+ vender and handles Shavemac products. I don't believe you will be disapointed with either brush. Alot of knowledgeable gents on this forum believe that Savile Row's are in fact made by Shavemac.
Happy Shaving

The brushes you mention are a bit large. I might suggest a brush in the 22-23 mm knot size to try out before going with such a large brush. Not sure what you have used though, so maybe a larger brush is what you are looking for. If it is, you should be happy with those options.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I definitely agree with Bob. I have the SR 3226. It was the first brush I purchased after joining B&B. Although I love the brush, if I were to do it again, I would start out with a smaller brush.

The brushes you mention are a bit large. I might suggest a brush in the 22-23 mm knot size to try out before going with such a large brush. Not sure what you have used though, so maybe a larger brush is what you are looking for. If it is, you should be happy with those options.

I agree with BoB O and I like JB' s analogy. Big brush - like white washing the picket fence. 22-23 mm knot - like signing an oil painting.

26mm seems large to me. I have an AOS Fine and its just too floppy for my tastes. But some love floppy. I have the SR3118 or little bambino and I love the 18mm. I thought I'd try the chubby 1 which is the smallest chubby in Super and a member here recently sold me one. The chubby makes lather so fast and furiously that it halves my lather prep time. It is a bit scrubbier than the SR3118 and much denser. I'd say the SR3118 is my favorite brush even though it is 1/2 as expensive as the Chubby 1 Super.

Everyone's opinions differ but 26mm seems quite large. Granted, I have never tried a 26... So if you purchase it, let us know how you like it. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Good Luck

Agree entirely - 22/23 mm is where the action is IMHO. The larger brushes are fun to use once in a while but they don't have as much control and need a lot more soap for no more useful lather. Also, they cost more since the hair what you are paying for - better to get 2 smaller ones or go for one really high end smaller one (Rooney finest small or Plisson HMW12 come to mind).

All,
Thank you for the feedback...I'm thinking I agree about the size and may look at the 22/23mm. I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks again!!
Scott

Size is matter of personal preference. I personally prefer bigger brushes and I have to say the SR 3226 is one of my favorite.

My 1st & only brush in the SR 3118 Silvertip. That 1st brush is a really tuff decision.

If you have a shaving shop near by, swing by & check out the various handle shapes, knot sizes & lofts. You can really narrow down your research by at least knowing "how bigga brush'ya want".

Then given a size you can check thru the various etailers found here to compare brand/pricing within a size you want. You will probably want to put this info into an Excel spreadsheet because you are a shaver & that's a shaver way to do it. This will help you compare across brands & find something in the size you want @ the price point you're comfy with...

In my experience, you will not go wrong buying from the etailers u've been reading about in B&B & other Shave Blogs. You will get good service, prompt delivery (nb - lightning like delivery in you buy a SR from QEDUSA) & a fair, competitive price.

When you get your brush, if you screwed up big time & HATE IT, you can probably sell it within a few hours using the Shopping Mall here. You will get a pretty decent price so net-net you're not gonna be outta a small fortune or anything.

BTW - am very happy with the SR 3118. It beats the crapola outta cream or soap & whips up a helluva batch of bristle batter real fast (lol...not as fast as pressing a button on an aerosol can but purdy dang close). The small knot size & short loft allow accurate placement of luxurious lather in those awkward spots like under your nose & around the ears...

Top Bottom