What's new

Buying a Briar Pipe - Basics for Brown Leaf Seedlings (BBLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the First Installment of Basics for Brown Leaf Seedlings

Buying a Briar Pipe

The number of B&B members finding their way into the Brown Leaf seems to be increasing every day. The pipe smoking pastime can be very relaxing and fulfilling for those who are patient enough to become proficient. But getting started can be a daunting task for anyone.

As you may have seen, Corn Cob pipes are usually for recommended for beginners. And for good reason, they're cheap and smoke very well. While corncob pipes are a very viable option, this article will be discussing some tips and things to look out for when purchasing a pipe made of briar.

Briar is procured from a root burl of erica arborea which is predominantly found in the Mediterranean regions. Two main reasons this wood is ideal for pipes is it's ability to withstand burning unlike some softer woods, and it's natural moisture absorption properties.

Be it a Brick & Mortar (B&M), used (estate) pipe or a friendly member on B&B selling a pipe in the BST, here are some useful hints on choosing a briar pipe. The time has come, you've found a pipe that appeals to you but you want to make sure that it's not a dud.

1. Pipe Cleaner Test

A mechanically sound pipe should be able to pass a pipe cleaner from the mouth piece to the hole in the bottom of the bowl of the pipe. There are various reasons why this is an ideal quality of you pipe:

A. Cleaning the pipe- Passing this test ensures that you will be able to clean your pipe after smoking (and sometimes during the smoke if there is moisture build up within the pipe).

B Unobstructed airflow-With no obstacles between the bowl and the mouthpiece, your smoke should be nice and dry. "Road bumps", so to speak, in the pipe can cause moisture buildup. That moisture can run back into the chamber wetting the tobacco causing lighting issues, or it can build up in the stem and enter the smoker's mouth :nonod:.

*When going to a B&M, purchase some pipe cleaners (because you're going to need them) and try running it through the pipe you're interested in. Some pipes may require you to twist the cleaner clockwise or counter clockwise to pass through. But if you cannot get it in any which way, you will most likely be separating then pipe after smoking to clean it. There is a debate as to whether taking your pipe apart after each smoke is detrimental or not among pipe smokers. Regardless, it can be a non-issue if the pipe has straight drilling from mouthpiece to bowl. *

Caveat-Some pipes will not pass a pipe cleaner because they are designed to have built in reservoirs to absorb moisture. See Peterson System Pipes

2. Check The Draft Hole

This is the hole at the bottom of the tobacco chamber. A proper pipe will have two key components when concerning the draft hole

A. Proper Alignment- When the tobacco chamber is deeper then the draft hole, any tobacco below the draft hole will remain unburnt. Here is an illustration.

You can see that the draft hole is level with the bottom of the tobacco chamber. This will ensure that you can smoke your tobacco all the way to the bottom of the pipe.

$Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 9.21.50 PM.png

This high draft hole means that any tobacco below that drill line will remain unburnt. You buy tobacco to smoke it, not to let it sit at the bottom of the chamber.

$Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 9.22.10 PM.png

B. Centered Drilling- Be sure that the draft hole is centered with the hole in the mouth piece. If the draft hole at the bottom of the tobacco chamber is favoring the right side, the tobacco on the left side will most likely not burn evenly. When the draft hole is centered, you will be sure to have a nice even burn throughout the smoke.

Dead center drilling ensures a nice even burn.

$Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 9.26.42 PM.png

Off center drilling will ensure uneven burning of the tobacco.

$Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 9.26.59 PM.png

If you're looking at a pipe on Ebay, found it in a basket in a B&M or have been made an offer by a friend, make sure to check for these things. Run a pipe cleaner through the pipe to see how the airway is. Get into some good lighting and see the placement of the draft hole in the tobacco chamber.

Of course, there are countless other factors to what makes a pipe smoke well. But keeping these in mind will help you be able to eliminate the duds from the batch.

I open the floor to any other Brown Leaf members for pointers, tips or suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
An estate pipe (used) that has been smoked well but not smoked out is likely a very good pipe with a lot of life left. They can be real bargains with prices averaging 25% of new.

Consider a pipe that has a flat bottom that can sit on its own. Unlike cigarette and cigar smoking a pipe is a past time and must be fiddled with a bit. They can be put down during an activity and will go out on their own only to be picked up later and relit. Consider having one for straight tobaccos and another for aromatic ones. That way you won't find odd and unwanted flavors like cherry in your smoke.

Great points, Kudos!

I'll add one. All corn cob pipes are NOT made equal.

Stick to the readily available "Missouri Meerschaum" brand. They're still cheap and very consistent. The cheap knockoff pipes may have been constructed with corn that was grown with questionable pesticides and fertilizers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great tips Andrew! Noobs should also read the Gentlman's Essentials in the stickies.

Great points, Kudos!

I'll add one. All corn cob pipes are NOT made equal.

Stick to the readily available "Missouri Meerschaum" brand. They're still cheap and very consistent. The cheap knockoff pipes may have been constructed with corn that was grown with questionable pesticides and fertilizers.

+1 MM cobs are the best in my book.

I was less than thrilled with my Old Dominion cob, and I believe Whiskey Badger was as well.

Great tips Andrew! Noobs should also read the Gentlman's Essentials in the stickies.

I read the stickies, and it worked! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom