What's new

Bulldog shave soap

evening all, I’m new to the traditional shaving methods and enjoying it thus far!
I have recently bought some bulldog shave soap and brush.
No matter what method of lathering I try, wether it be damp brush, wet brush, on top of soap or in a bowl. I can’t for the life in me get a nice thick lather on my face! It seems okay then soon deteriorates and dissolves by the time I get to the other side of my face! Can anybody else who has used this product help me out with some feedback?
is it a duff product or is there something else I should know? Any help appreciated!
Thanks lads! 👍🏻
B06B961C-12D1-4C27-AA60-9367A2167370.jpeg

evening all, I’m new to the traditional shaving methods and enjoying it thus far!
I have recently bought some bulldog shave soap and brush.
No matter what method of lathering I try, wether it be damp brush, wet brush, on top of soap or in a bowl. I can’t for the life in me get a nice thick lather on my face! It seems okay then soon deteriorates and dissolves by the time I get to the other side of my face! Can anybody else who has used this product help me out with some feedback?
is it a duff product or is there something else I should know? Any help appreciated!
Thanks lads! 👍🏻View attachment 1094633
Welcome B&B. I hope you find the forum interesting and informative. I’m certainly not new here nor an authority on Shaving creams or soaps. Having said that I’ve never heard of Bulldog products nor have I ever seen anyone else mention them here besides yourself.
i think most use traditional products that have been around for years(European) or artesian products which you can learn about in the soap/cream forums. There are YouTube videos on lather which might help you.
Good luck building a lather!

Welcome B&B. I hope you find the forum interesting and informative. I’m certainly not new here nor an authority on Shaving creams or soaps. Having said that I’ve never heard of Bulldog products nor have I ever seen anyone else mention them here besides yourself.
i think most use traditional products that have been around for years(European) or artesian products which you can learn about in the soap/cream forums. There are YouTube videos on lather which might help you.
Thank you! I saw a post about the Buldog cream, and it got a couple of sticking reviews on here, so wondering if the soap is following suit! I’ve scoured YouTube and tryed literally 6 different techniques to no joy.. on a different note I’ve just ordered a tub of proraso soap. Arriving Monday, so I will see for myself wether it be me needing to practise, or the dodgy soap to start with! I’ll let you know!
Thanks again!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I have only tried the Bulldog Aftershave Balm and it worked well for me. The only thing that comes to mind is that it might be a brushless cream. Rather than applied with a brush you might have to apply it with your fingers over your wet face. This is just a guess, hopefully some one else that has actually used it might chime in.

Yeah the post shave stuff is great no complaints (see my attached photo), as for it being brushless, I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure it’s for use with a brush, is a solid soap in a dish. Can’t see how it would be possible without. But yeah I’ve got some proraso on the way so we will see how that tether using the same techniques!

Website instructions do not say to lather (both cream and gel). This might be a lather-less. I hate those.

I find lather-less works best when a very thin layer is used. Too much just gums up razor. Of course, YMMV.

Welcome aboard!

Wish I could help with your soap question, but I have no experience with this product.

Over the years I have learned to research products carefully before purchasing. B&B reviews are great as these are written by real folks who are interested and knowledgeable about traditional shaving! :clap: :clap:

Welcome aboard!

Wish I could help with your soap question, but I have no experience with this product.

Over the years I have learned to research products carefully before purchasing. B&B reviews are great as these are written by real folks who are interested and knowledgeable about traditional shaving! :clap: :clap:
Thank you! It’s okay don’t worry, I have some proraso on the way! Hopefully that is much better as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!

Thank you! It’s okay don’t worry, I have some proraso on the way! Hopefully that is much better as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!

Proraso is good stuff! You should also give the Proraso Green splash a try: great for summer!! :a29:

That's the first time I've become aware they even did a shave soap. I've seen and tried their shave cream which is most definitely brushless but, of course, that would be no good for a soap.

Looking at the ingredients sometimes gives a clue as to the problem. For example, I have much the same issue with Mr Natty's Silver Label shave soap - it's olive oil based and just won't lather for love nor money

Bulldog is a fairly modern British brand which is billed as a no-nonsense, affordable and vegan/cruelty free brand. It's now owned by Edgewell Personal Care (who also own Wilkinson Sword, Jack Black, Personna and Schick among others). There skincare products are usually highly rated, especially for their price.

Website instructions do not say to lather (both cream and gel). This might be a lather-less. I hate those.

I find lather-less works best when a very thin layer is used. Too much just gums up razor. Of course, YMMV.

I think this one is fairly new as it is indeed a solid puck of soap and comes in a pretty nice bamboo dish.

To OP, welcome to the forum. I am similarly new to all of this and also picked up one of these in Boots the other day, but have not got round to trying it out yet. Once I have, I will let you know how I get on. Worse case, we will both have a decent bowl for keeping better soaps in!

Bulldog is a fairly modern British brand which is billed as a no-nonsense, affordable and vegan/cruelty free brand. It's now owned by Edgewell Personal Care (who also own Wilkinson Sword, Jack Black, Personna and Schick among others). There skincare products are usually highly rated, especially for their price.

I think this one is fairly new as it is indeed a solid puck of soap and comes in a pretty nice bamboo dish.

To OP, welcome to the forum. I am similarly new to all of this and also picked up one of these in Boots the other day, but have not got round to trying it out yet. Once I have, I will let you know how I get on. Worse case, we will both have a decent bowl for keeping better soaps in!
Thank you! Well, this morning I removed the puck since I’ve had some proraso come, but indeed I’ve saved the bowl and whipped up a nice lather in it this morning! But by all means let me know how you get on with it mate!
mad you say the skincare products are faultless in my opinion! Barely a scent which is a nice touch too, since a lot of brands go overboard with that side of things.

Well I saw this soap in my local Boot's and out of curiosity/boredom/bloody mindedness thought I'd pick it up and give it a go.

Or several goes now in fact.

Sadly, my experience mirrors that of the OP so far - various different attempted methods have got it to produce variable quantities of light bubbly foam ranging from moderate to enough to douse a forest fire. However, nothing really approaching what could be described as a good lather for shaving.

If it does have a sweet spot I've not found it thus far.

On the plus side the bowl is nice and, it turns out, exactly the right size for T&H soap pucks!

Well I saw this soap in my local Boot's and out of curiosity/boredom/bloody mindedness thought I'd pick it up and give it a go.

Sadly, my experience mirrors that of the OP so far - various different attempted methods have got it to produce variable quantities of light bubbly foam ranging from moderate to enough to douse a forest fire. However, nothing really approaching what could be described as a good lather for shaving.

On the plus side the bowl is nice and, it turns out, exactly the right size for T&H soap pucks!
Aye mate, I discarded the puck and use the bowl for lathering up in! Looks nice in my bathroom!
And the lid makes a nice drink coaster a suppose 😂😂

From Al Bundy's description Bulldog puck soap sounds a lot like people's experience with Williams, which most people try just to see if the abominable reputation is worth it. It's almost a moot point now with the heavenly Proraso entering the game. Proraso has a peerless reputation for a whole host of reasons, let us know how you're getting on with it!

well, the bulldog puck is in the bin, and I’m currently using proraso white, with the red on the way! It’s great so it wasn’t that I was doing something wrong as it lathers you great woth the proraso!

I tried it at the weekend, and didn't have much luck with it. Bloomed it while in the shower and the top layer turned into a sort of gunky mess and was no good for lathering. Chucked that out the bowl and tried to load off the puck and then lather in the bowl. It was the the same light bubbly foam you got. I'll try it a few more times before chucking it as the bowl is quite nice!

It's garbage unfortunately, I'm going to use mine as a hand wash soap but I won't shave with it anymore. Too many other good soaps and creams to waste a good shave with bad soap.

It bothers me that things like this happen. I find it hard to believe that a company doesn't test it's products before it releases them onto general sale which means there can be only 2 possibilities:

1) They have no idea, or desire to find out, what makes a good product, or
2) They really couldn't care less

Either option seems very odd as the inevitable bad reviews may well negatively impact sales of existing products, even the good ones.

Top Bottom