What's new

Building boxes?

Ever since I saw this thread I've wanted to try this ... I still have not cleared a spot in the garage to drag out the table saw but the box SWMBO brought home let me give this a go:

View attachment 492360

Should be cool with some sort of sealer over it.

I hate to bump my own post but I wanted to provide some more context for this.

It may not look like it but this was printed on an inkjet printer. I did the characters in Word, and printed this as a mirror image on the backing part of label stock. You know the part left over when you peel all your labels off sort of like waxed paper? I printed on that and pressed it onto the lid of the box and the ink soaked right in. I was hoping for more of an old-school look but I think I got too much ink. Next time I may use the "draft" setting to get less ink on it. It may also subdue a bit if/when I hit it with some sandpaper.

This is similar to a technique people use with solvents and laser-jet printing but this uses no solvents and allows the use of colors. I'm hoping this might inspire some real creativity rather than this really primitive attempts. People here are much more crafty than I. Maybe Dave can do an Escher label right on the wood of his next creation?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That's pretty sweet Lee. Maybe you could hand sand it with some high grit sandpaper and give it a little patina? Very cool idea

Heres my first attempt with some red oak. I can't decide what to do with lid, whether to hinge it, or glue it on and slice the box in half so it works like the Ardennes ones.
$IMG_1671.jpg

Thank you David! I have all the pieces for another one with the grain all running the wrong way before I realized what I did. I am not sure I can make myself use them to make another or not. I still have enough lumber for a couple more good ones.

Thank you David! I have all the pieces for another one with the grain all running the wrong way before I realized what I did. I am not sure I can make myself use them to make another or not. I still have enough lumber for a couple more good ones.

Wrong? Don't you really mean "unique" or "different" or "a new special design that no one else is making"????

first find an oak pallet,then strip the slats off and finish them smooth.cut to the siz needed for your stone.length,width,depth ,giving just a little extra space for the stone .glue the sides bottom and top together.let dry.then cut in half lengthwise to form the top and bottom.a good wood glue is all you need.you could even get fancy and put hinges from the craft store on it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The fact that he made all of those cuts with a bandsaw is very impressive. Nice work Scott!

Top Bottom