What's new

Budget Shavers

Could they be fakes? Feathers are objectively the sharpest the blades out there (according to the testing at refinedshave.com) and personally I have been through 100s of them without ever getting a dud - the Japanese QC is excellent.

They aren't the smoothest blades out there - maybe that lack of smoothness is what you experience as dullness. I think the same thing happens to me with some blades. Also, they lose their edge quickly - a very fine edge isn't so resistant to deformations as an edge that isn't so sharp to begin with.
I also wondered about them being fakes myself, since I ordered this particular pack on Amazon. However, they have excellent reviews and it would be very difficult to fake feathers with all of the packaging and etching on the blades. It's definitely an issue of them being dull because they tug, which only dull blades do. I have tried them over and over again, and was quite surprised.

I am a head and face shaver so I let everything grow out for two weeks when I went on a fishing trip this summer. When I got back I tried the Feathers again, and got the painful/uncomfortable tugging. I switched out for one of my favorite blades for the face shave, my Gillette Platinum. It was like a hot knife through butter, there was no resistance or tugging at all. The razor I used was my Henson Ti22 +++

For my head I used a new feather blade from another tuck and I got the same result. So I immediately replaced that blade with a Perma Sharp, another one of my favorite blades. Again, it was like hot knife through butter and very smooth. I used the Karve Overlander. So I gave the Feathers every chance, so it made me wonder if the whole sleeve was bad.

The Overlander and Henson razors are my favorite and most used razors, so I am very familiar with them. I am going to ask a friend of mine for one of his feathers next. I want to eliminate getting a bad sleeve.

It's definitely an issue of them being dull because they tug, which only dull blades do. I have tried them over and over again, and was quite surprised.

That's bizarre. For me they are one of the few blades that aren't a little tuggy here and there, and they require less use of sliding strokes to get the work done. But, you aren't the first person I have seen who says they find them tuggy. Based on SEM images I have seen, Feathers do seem to have a very heavy, crusty teflon coating on the edge compared to other blades (at least, my assumption is that it's teflon) - perhaps they just need a few more strokes than other blades to smooth them out and fully expose the edge?

Who knows? Blade preferences are so random. Even for my own use, I struggle to find any underlying patterns or rationale that explains why I like what I like.

Here's another nice budget product I've liked using, and at times I can find in local brick and mortar stores ( my CVS carries it for about $6 ). Fine by itself, but also nice to add a smidgin to my shave bowl if I find my lather lacking from other products.

1697053384287.png

It would be interesting to see numbers for your cost per shave. For me a typical shave is:

100 Nacet blades x 9 shaves each = 900 shaves @ $15 retail... $0.02 per shave
Tub of Proraso x 150 shaves each @ $10 retail........................ $0.07 per shave
Fatip razor x 150 shaves per year, 10 year life @ $30 retail....... $0.02 per shave
Yaqi brush x 150 shaves per year, 10 year life @ $20 retail....... $0.02 per shave
Nivea aftershave balm, 3 bottles per year @ $8/ea retail........... $0.16 per shave
Alum bloc x 150 shaves per year, 2 year life @ $10 retail.......... $0.04 per shave
===================================================
TOTAL per shave................................................................ $0.33 per shave
TOTAL per year (150 shaves)............................................ $49.50

*Excludes utilities, water, labor, laundry, etc

This is an exercise better done in a spreadsheet so you can plug different numbers in for various equipment to get instant updates. I never would have thought that the aftershave would be most expensive. Who can go the lowest and highest would be fun contests.
Now I see the "expensive" item is the balm......:eek2:; maybe I can skip that........

Or better yet: don't pay attention to shaving expenses......(if you have $ to spare?)

How does that compare to the cream that was in the tube which I tried and liked. My understanding was that it was a brushless cream, so you only needed a brush to apply it not to actually generate a lather.

Now I see the "expensive" item is the balm......:eek2:; maybe I can skip that........

Or better yet: don't pay attention to shaving expenses......(if you have $ to spare?)
I honestly think I could use just witch hazel even the generic version most of the time, and be satisfied and not using aftershave, except when I am going out someplace other than work

How does that compare to the cream that was in the tube which I tried and liked. My understanding was that it was a brushless cream, so you only needed a brush to apply it not to actually generate a lather.
The two Nivea creams are different. I’ll take a look at their ingredients and compare. Both lather well with a brush. I’ll try to use both in the near future and report back here.

IMG_3039.jpeg
That’s about $23 worth of stuff. It shaved great. That Baili TTO is a rock solid bargain of a razor. The Lea shave stick, while not something I absolutely love, isn’t a product I worry about using at all. It’s pleasant and gets the job done with no fuss. For roughly the same price I could have used one of my Arko, Derby, LaToja, or Nivea shave sticks. The Lord Classic Super Stainless shaves ( to me ) just like it’s more famous cousin the Lord Silver Star. My little Indian Rubab synthetic brush is small, but gets the job done, even face lathering. I don’t even need to talk about Aqua Velva. It matches well enough with the Lea that I felt like I had a themed shave.

Last edited:
Great concept and thread!

I am through buying hardware. Although I did buy a $200 razor, it just wasn't worth it in the grand scheme of things and I rarely use it now. I'll likely sell it. As far as blades, I find many that work well and will probably not restock my cache of Feathers when they run out. A Personna, Perma-Sharp or Nacet work just fine and will look into the brands from Turkey or Egypt for my purchase when I need them. Fortunately, I did not spend much on brushes and my favorite is a <$20 Omega Boar. Actually, I am much more likely to just use a brushless cream. A little goes a long way and they can be quite economical.

Today's Shave was: Leaf Twig (purchased last year on prime day for $42), 1/2 Nacet (2), Jack Black Beard Lube, RazoRock XXX splash. 10/10.

Great concept and thread!

I am through buying hardware. Although I did buy a $200 razor, it just wasn't worth it in the grand scheme of things and I rarely use it now. I'll likely sell it. As far as blades, I find many that work well and will probably not restock my cache of Feathers when they run out. A Personna, Perma-Sharp or Nacet work just fine and will look into the brands from Turkey or Egypt for my purchase when I need them. Fortunately, I did not spend much on brushes and my favorite is a <$20 Omega Boar. Actually, I am much more likely to just use a brushless cream. A little goes a long way and they can be quite economical.

Today's Shave was: Leaf Twig (purchased last year on prime day for $42), 1/2 Nacet (2), Jack Black Beard Lube, RazoRock XXX splash. 10/10.
One of my favorite brushes is an Omega 49. I don't think it cost more than $10. One day I'll splurge on something with a "better" handle just for looks, but the 49 knot once broken in is just lovely.

I proposed a Cheapshaver forum years ago but it never went anywhere.

Let's see if this time we can make it stick.

So, I wanted to see just how cheap I could go....which of course meant spending some money on a Lord L5 from RBC! :lol:

Pairing that up with two products I already mentioned, I think I might have set a new benchmark...

Razor: Lord L5 £4.37
Blade: Silver Star £0.13 (I could have used the included blade for further savings, but didn't fancy it)
Brush: Wilko Synth £1.25
Cream: Palmolive £2.50
Splash: Superdrug Forest Fresh £2.50

Total: £10.75

I think that's pretty good, given that I am in "Rip-off Britain" as it is affectionaly known by its populace!

I have thoughts on the L5 too, but this is not the place unless people are particularly interested to hear them - it certainly fits in the "budget shaving" category though!

20231013_152714.jpg

Although I did buy a $200 razor, it just wasn't worth it in the grand scheme of things and I rarely use it now. I'll likely sell it.

Honestly, I am starting to think that my CNC stainless razors might be surplus to requirements. None of them are super-high-end but even a Razorock will set you back the equivalent of $115 in Europe. I bought them mainly out of curiosity, always chasing a better shave. The shave I get from my Fatips and Techs is just as good...arguably better when my technique is there.

Let's see if this time we can make it stick.

So, I wanted to see just how cheap I could go....which of course meant spending some money on a Lord L5 from RBC! :lol:

Pairing that up with two products I already mentioned, I think I might have set a new benchmark...

Razor: Lord L5 £4.37
Blade: Silver Star £0.13 (I could have used the included blade for further savings, but didn't fancy it)
Brush: Wilko Synth £1.25
Cream: Palmolive £2.50
Splash: Superdrug Forest Fresh £2.50

Total: £10.75

I think that's pretty good, given that I am in "Rip-off Britain" as it is affectionaly known by its populace!

I have thoughts on the L5 too, but this is not the place unless people are particularly interested to hear them - it certainly fits in the "budget shaving" category though!

View attachment 1732198

Honestly, I am starting to think that my CNC stainless razors might be surplus to requirements. None of them are super-high-end but even a Razorock will set you back the equivalent of $115 in Europe. I bought them mainly out of curiosity, always chasing a better shave. The shave I get from my Fatips and Techs is just as good...arguably better when my technique is there.
I'm trying to figure 'how low could I go' with my current inventory ( and willingness to use ):

Arko $2
Turkish #6 'Horse' brush $3
Baili TTO/Lord L5/Gillette Sterling razors $6
Various 5 tuck blades $.75 ( I included the full tuck price )
Burt's Bees AS Balm $3

Total: $15 ish

I have used a TTO and a three-piece from Dollar Tree ( $1.25 ), but I wouldn't use one again on purpose :)

I also could shave with 2 bar soaps available from the Dollar Tree that work OK in a pinch for shaving ( Pears Mint and Dove Men+Care 3 in 1 ), as well as the actual shave soap they sold at one time. All would be $1.25 each, but for a few quarters more Arko beats all of them, and when bought in bulk, probably costs roughly the same.

* if I had to choose one of my $6 razors, it would be the Baili TTO. It is a very respectable shaver, but all of them deliver good shaves using the right technique. I started on the Lord L5 as my first razor and used it daily for almost 6 months.

Arko $2
Turkish #6 'Horse' brush $3
Baili TTO/Lord L5/Gillette Sterling razors $6
Various 5 tuck blades $.75 ( I included the full tuck price )
Burt's Bees AS Balm $3

I hadn't thought of that - I could probably have saved a further £0.75 if my skin could handle Arko!

If it wasn't clear, I am definitely not down on the Lord - it's very mild, but I like it. It's certainly much better quality than I expected for a mere £4. I might get another...you know, to save money as a budget shaver!

I hadn't thought of that - I could probably have saved a further £0.75 if my skin could handle Arko!

If it wasn't clear, I am definitely not down on the Lord - it's very mild, but I like it. It's certainly much better quality than I expected for a mere £4. I might get another...you know, to save money as a budget shaver!
The Lord is a fine little razor if you don't mind the light weight. I like mild razors and one of my first "oh wow" shave moments came when I used a Polsilver Super Iridium in it for the first time. I don't often use it these days, but it is there when I want it :)

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So where are we at with this? I'd happily join the Brotherhood of Budget Shavers... I'm thinking the B.o.B.S. (Brotherhood of Budget Shavers)

I'm in. If you are too consider joining either the monthly or annual restraints as well.

My most B.o.B.S. setup would be-

Gillette British Aluminum Tech ($3)
30mm Yaqi Barberpole w/ Tuxedo knot ($15)

Feather razor blades ($40/100 ct.)

Arko! shave stick ($2.25)

Lucky Tiger Aftershave Tonic ($15)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There are simple ways to save money in traditional wet shaving and its not hard to accomplish this . Find a good razor you would like (Tame mid range is IMO), find some bargain soaps from Italian barber on sale and buy a synthetic brush 24-26mm Plissoft or tuxedo knot with a 100pcs of Astra SP blades or similar and you will save money. Buy some alum or inexpensive aftershave and your off.
The way to look at it is just average it out over years of use and you will be surprised.
This is what I did 6 years ago and I will write what I believe is accurate information as a example.
I was spending about $80 per year on cartridge razor blades for my Gillette Fusion 5 razor(nice razor) + Gillette gel in a can with no brush.
I also told the wife to buy me a hair trimmer for Christmas and that is a big saver of money(shaving your head would be similar savings) and I was spending about $30 per month for haircut, tip and gas money + making a appointment to get in + living in Northern Alberta Canada living is not cheap. So I was spending $80 + $360 on hair cuts for a Total of $440 per year. So 6 years later = 6 X $440 = $2,640 dollars Canadian. I did fall down a few rabbit holes with razors and brushes but never nothing over $100 for a razor and never over $25 for a good brush and just bought sales and have enjoyed traditional wet shaving. I have not spent that amount $2,640 Canadian and have a lot of product to last for years need be.
So being a little budget minded (frugal) and just enjoy what we have and talk about it makes shaving better and affordable.
The quality of shaving products in the last 4 years has jumped leaps and bounds and lots of good vintage razors still around.
Nothing wrong with buying a high end razor or brush but you might not want to buy a lot of them IMO :idea:.

Here are some inexpensive products, Yaqi flipside Razor and handle won in a Yaqi live sale raffle(great razor), 24mm Silver tip badger bought on a Yaqi live sale $18 Canadian, CRS Wild Rose cream $20.00 Canadian shipped from UK(good deal), homemade shave bowl $1, $5 Nivea aftershave bought years ago so over time when average out per shave it just puts a smile on my face.
I still daily shave and have done this for decades because of jobs and I just feel better with a close comfortable shave IMO.
SOTD October 12 2023.jpg

Have some great budget shaves!

Top Bottom