What's new

Budget Shavers

The cheapest modern razor that I would still enjoy using would be either a Fatip or a Yaqi de89 clone in Zamack/zinc alloy (I have a "Flipside" head that is similar, if a bit more aggressive on the closed comb side). The cheapest vintage razor I would enjoy would be a Tech, which you can sometimes find for a few dollars. In fairness - the Tech is a really good shaver, pre- or post-war, so if you wanted a cheap razor that was excellent, I'd go with that.

The cheapest soap per shave in my experience would be Mike's Natural Soaps (because they last a LONG time).

Razor blades - not sure what the "best bargain" there would be.

Brushes - boar would be the cheapest.

Aftershave - the cheapest option would be to use nothing. :-D

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Can we have a group for people who are cost-conscious? People who enjoy wet shaving, but are trying to budget their money wisely and buy quality gear at a reasonable price.

I’m getting a little disillusioned by the price of wet shaving products. $30 for artisan shave soaps, three Hundred dollars for a razor, or $100 for a shave brush.

I don’t think I’m the only one who got involved in wet shaving because of the overpriced blades. Seeing the same thing happened to other wet shaving gear, particularly soaps and razors is a little bit disheartening for me.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I can’t be alone in thinking that the price of wet shaving gear has gotten too high for many products.

Let’s have a thread wing discuss the value products. Razors that are affordable, and still quality and the same for soaps.
I'm very mush the same. I use Arko soap and Palmolive cream. I have a bunch of straight razors and one Gillette DE and use VIBR after shave and rarely buy anything. Also, I've used the same Omega boar brush for ten or eleven years. After all, it's just shaving.

1696610434959.png

My budget shave today.

SLOC $20 on sale
Zorrik Super Platinum blade $2 for a tuck of 10 blades
Pears Transparent Soap $1
Rubab Leopard Synthetic brush $9
Lucky Witch Hazel $1
Gillette Cool Wave AS $5
Stainles bowl from an antique store $2

I shaved today with a Shark Platinum in an alu ball-end Tech that I got for about £10 in an old wash kit. I have said horrible things about the Shark Platinum in the past and found it unusable, but somehow in this razor it's given me a couple of great shaves - I think that the famous Lord quality control must have been a factor in the first couple of blades out of this sample tuck!

I don't know the total cost of this lot - the Proraso pushes it up a little, but it's probably around £30 for a superb DFS++ shave. I haven't used a Tech in ages and had forgotten how great they can be.

20231007_163254.jpg

When I said budget shaving what I really had in mind was value shaving. I don’t mind spending a little extra for a better quality product. In fact, that’s what I primary look for is value.

Just felt like there was a movement and wet, shaving to luxury products, which I think many people prefer value over luxury.

I was seeing shaving soap approaching $40 a tub and razors in excess of $300. As consumers felt like we should push back. And highlight the products that are high-quality, but a good value.

Can we have a group for people who are cost-conscious? People who enjoy wet shaving, but are trying to budget their money wisely and buy quality gear at a reasonable price.

I’m getting a little disillusioned by the price of wet shaving products. $30 for artisan shave soaps, three Hundred dollars for a razor, or $100 for a shave brush.

I don’t think I’m the only one who got involved in wet shaving because of the overpriced blades. Seeing the same thing happened to other wet shaving gear, particularly soaps and razors is a little bit disheartening for me.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I can’t be alone in thinking that the price of wet shaving gear has gotten too high for many products.

Let’s have a thread wing discuss the value products. Razors that are affordable, and still quality and the same for soaps.
There is no need to spend a lot to enjoy great quality DE shaves. I've great quality DE shaving equipment all purchased for under $15 for each item including:

• Razors: Weishi Long Handle (moderate aggressiveness) and King C. Gillette (mild) purchased for $12 and $13 (on sale) respectively. I first DE shaved in college when excellent sub $5 razors, like the Gillette Black Beauties (my first DE razor) were available in any Drug Store or Supermarket. Gave me a mind set that a good razor doesn't need to cost a lot.
  • Brushes: Razorock plissoft Monster, Big Bruce and Blondie boar all purchased for under $10 each on sale
  • Mugs: Van Der Hagen apothecary mugs purchased on-sale as part of a starter kit for under $15
  • Shaving Soaps and Creams: Some variety hear all purchased for between $1 (Williams/Arko) to just under $10 (D.R. Harris Soap/Cyril R. Salter Luxury Cream from Connaught Shaving). Have others such as Razorock What-the_Puck ($3 each), Mitchells Wool Fat and Tabac (Under $6-$7 each landed in the U.S. from Connaught Shaving last fall). My custom Van Der Williams blend is one of my best soaps for under $2 for a 3 oz puck.
  • Blades: Dorco, Derby and Astra SP blades purchased for between $4 and $10 per 100
For razors shave quality is all about the geometry around the blade - not the cost of the razor. My two preferred razors above provide the desired range of aggressiveness I like. Synthetic brushes deliver what many consider to be better performance than natural fibers for a fraction of the cost.

Even with the discontinuation of shaving soaps like Palmolive shave sticks and Williams there are still good budget options for $2-3 each such as Arko and What-the-Puck. For a few dollars more one gets a variety of scents and sometimes better post shave feel. One of the best values is the Cyril R. Salter 100 gram shaving soap for under $6 landed from Connaught.

Realize and respect that many of our fellow shavers prefer higher cost options due to the workmanship, materials or as high end collectables. Also many collect artisan soaps for the scent or for the container artwork that enhances their shave den.

Many posts refer to low cost razors as "starter" products. Reality is if they are well made and work for you there is no need to jump to a $50 or $100+ product. Have seen many posts from shavers who were disappointed that there was little improvement in shave quality or in some cases poorer shaves due to too much aggressiveness or a hard to hold handle.

The best blade for value/quality is the Astra SP (Green), it's just fact. If anyone tells you otherwise they're just wrong 🤣🤣🤣
What about you 200 Italian Barber Nacet blades you picked up for the same $9/100 price?🤣🤣🤣

I like you post about so many blades being available.

I use Astra SPs myself and agree they are great blades and well worth the $9/100 you spent. Interestingly my best value blades are from Dorco, both the Stainless (ST300/301) and Prime (STP300/301). Shave quality is similar to my Astra SPs and they deliver around 50% more shaves per blade. Only $6/100 for the Stainless and $10/100 for the primes.

If you decide to try Dorco make sure you are getting newer made in Vietnam production.

What about you 200 Italian Barber Nacet blades you picked up for the same $9/100 price?🤣🤣🤣

I use Astra SPs myself and agree they are great blades and well worth the $9/100 you spent. Interestingly my best value blades are from Dorco, both the Stainless (ST300/301) and Prime (STP300/301). Shave quality is similar to my Astra SPs and they deliver around 50% more shaves per blade. Only $6/100 for the Stainless and $10/100 for the primes.

If you decide to try Dorco make sure you are getting newer made in Vietnam production.
The 'newer' made-in-Vietnam ST300s have been a nice discovery. Definitely a very nice budget option for me.

🤣🤣🤣 I did get a great deal on those Nacets, I love the Nacet blade. There are so many good blades, I love it! Nacet, Astra, Perma Sharp, Gillette Platinum, Gilette 7 o'clock series, Personna Lab Blue ... and so many more. There are very few blades I don't like. One of my least favorite blades I can't even mention because many love it around here.

I don't have any dorco blades, I may have to give them a try :)

🤣🤣🤣 I did get a great deal on those Nacets, I love the Nacet blade. There are so many good blades, I love it! Nacet, Astra, Perma Sharp, Gillette Platinum, Gilette 7 o'clock series, Personna Lab Blue ... and so many more. There are very few blades I don't like. One of my least favorite blades I can't even mention because many love it around here.

YMMV always applies here so you should feel free to share that least favorite blade. Sounds like your experience with blades is similar to mine where you've quickly built a significant inventory.

Since returning to DE four years ago I've acquired 1,500 Dorco, Astra and Derby blades in 100 & 200 packs. Likely all I'll need for 15+ years. Total investment of around just $100 U.S. or less than a couple years worth of high end shaving system cartridges. Highest price was $10/100 for Dorco Primes with the Derby Extras at the other extreme for under $9 for a 200 pack.

All of these blades shave equally well for me with the only difference being longevity ranging from around 3-6 for Derby to 10-12 for my Dorcos. Given this I finally stopped buying more blades happy to settle with my current assortment. If I get curious regarding other blades I'll pull out the $10 U.S. Connaught Popular blade sample pack I threw into an order last fall to hit the free shipping minimum. It includes 8 brands not in my rotation such as Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock, Tiger and Treet blades. For now I'm more focused on my different soaps where I do see significant differences in shaving performance.

Sounds like you experience more significant differences in blade performance across brands so may have a longer and higher blade count exploration before you settle. Enjoy the journey!

Let’s have a thread wing discuss the value products. Razors that are affordable, and still quality and the same for

Let me say this ! Yes indeed you can budget your shaves for sure . First off a lot of your YouTube Reviewers for Wet Shave Products work for Artisan Soap Makers , Razor Companies , Artisan Brushes bowls etc they review the products that way us the customer will buy the products ! Now you can be smart about the Artisan soft shave soaps instead of lathering in the Tub you take your index finger take about two of your index finger of soap and smear it in your shave bowl and lather you will get the same results if not better than lathering it in the tub or you can do the same apply it on your face like a shave stick and lather it up it works ! You can also lather your dove soaps with pure glycerin from your Walgreens or CVS it will lather up the same as Artisan Soaps ! Remember they are running a business to make money at the same token you can stretch all of the Artisan soaps months upon months if you apply the principals I just mentioned if you already doing it i applaud you ! Now hard soaps are a different story but you load and transfer to your bowl to lather ! Lastly Razors is the same I have bought two SS Gillette Razors for $10:00 and $13.00 at a antique store which both of them give me a great smooth shaving experience! It’s like everything else you are paying for the name , every time I view someone talking about a Razor they will always tell it’s best razor the best razor how do you know if it’s the best razor for me when I have not tried it out ! Look I have two razors and I’m sticking with those two only the Reviewers are sent all of there razors from these companies that’s why you see about 20 or 30 Razors in there Shave Den Cabinet ! Anyway I hope this will help someone!

Come on folks, let's see more budget SOTD images! Also, I am always interested to hear about what the great performing "drugstore" products are in different countries. Here in the UK it's definitely things I have already mentioned in some of my posts.

Palmolive cream at £2.50 a tube and Superdrug aftershaves at £2.50 a bottle are both great performers and great value. Also, Erasmic is another great cream that can be had for about £1.25 for a smaller tube. I enjoy these just as much as products costing 10X as much.

YMMV always applies here so you should feel free to share that least favorite blade. Sounds like your experience with blades is similar to mine where you've quickly built a significant inventory.

Since returning to DE four years ago I've acquired 1,500 Dorco, Astra and Derby blades in 100 & 200 packs. Likely all I'll need for 15+ years. Total investment of around just $100 U.S. or less than a couple years worth of high end shaving system cartridges. Highest price was $10/100 for Dorco Primes with the Derby Extras at the other extreme for under $9 for a 200 pack.

All of these blades shave equally well for me with the only difference being longevity ranging from around 3-6 for Derby to 10-12 for my Dorcos. Given this I finally stopped buying more blades happy to settle with my current assortment. If I get curious regarding other blades I'll pull out the $10 U.S. Connaught Popular blade sample pack I threw into an order last fall to hit the free shipping minimum. It includes 8 brands not in my rotation such as Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock, Tiger and Treet blades. For now I'm more focused on my different soaps where I do see significant differences in shaving performance.

Sounds like you experience more significant differences in blade performance across brands so may have a longer and higher blade count exploration before you settle. Enjoy the journey!
I basically agree with you on the blades. I find most blades fantastic, with the primary difference being longevity. The blade I don't like is the feather blade and I'm not a fan of derby. People say feathers are incredibly sharp, which hasn't been my experience. The feathers I have actually tug on my shaves, whish is a symptom of being dull. They are so bad that I am pretty sure I have received defective feather blades, but a whole sleeve of 100?
I have enough blades to last me a lifetime, probably my family as well.

They are so bad that I am pretty sure I have received defective feather blades, but a whole sleeve of 100?

Could they be fakes? Feathers are objectively the sharpest the blades out there (according to the testing at refinedshave.com) and personally I have been through 100s of them without ever getting a dud - the Japanese QC is excellent.

They aren't the smoothest blades out there - maybe that lack of smoothness is what you experience as dullness. I think the same thing happens to me with some blades. Also, they lose their edge quickly - a very fine edge isn't so resistant to deformations as an edge that isn't so sharp to begin with.

I purchased 100 of those nacet blades at Italian barber for $10 too. They were really good blades. Very smooth. They didn’t have the longevity though of other blades I’ve used. I usually switch blades after three shaves with them.
Come on folks, let's see more budget SOTD images! Also, I am always interested to hear about what the great performing "drugstore" products are in different countries. Here in the UK it's definitely things I have already mentioned in some of my posts.

Palmolive cream at £2.50 a tube and Superdrug aftershaves at £2.50 a bottle are both great performers and great value. Also, Erasmic is another great cream that can be had for about £1.25 for a smaller tube. I enjoy these just as much as products costing 10X as much.
in my opinion, the best drug store aftershave is skin bracer that usually cost around five dollars. The only downside being is in a plastic bottle instead of glass.

As far as shaving soap, there aren’t any drugstore shaving creams I would recommend for price other than possibly Cremo or Nivea cream if you can find it

Top Bottom