What's new

Budget Shavers

My almost-daily cheap shave is a Gillette Guard razor (yes, really), a RazoRock synthetic brush, and Palmolive cream; if I'm feeling fancy, I'll splash on some drug store witch hazel at the end. I also have a stock of Dove Men+Care soap that indicates it can be used for shaving, and it works very well for that purpose indeed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the support with this thread.
I was disappointed with the price of wet shaving products.

300+ razors, 150+ brushes, 30+ soaps not to mention cheaper ingredients being used in classic soaps like Tabac. Felt like we need to push back and highlight the products that are good value. Not cheap but what is fair and reasonably priced.

1697738336133.png

Search the yardsales and antique stores in your area. My sister found me this Ever-Ready 1912 and snagged it for $2. It's a nice model because you can actually use DE blades in it ( snapped in half ).

Some of the soap makers make decent sized samples which make an inexpensive way to try some of their scents for very little cash outlay. The one ounce samples from Stirling and Barrister & Mann give me over 30 shaves each, and are under $5. You pay a little more per shave not buying in larger volumes, but it does let you try some soaps that you might be wary of buying a full container of.

The aftershave is just Clubman decanted in a recycled glass spray bottle.

View attachment 1735229

Search the yardsales and antique stores in your area. My sister found me this Ever-Ready 1912 and snagged it for $2. It's a nice model because you can actually use DE blades in it ( snapped in half ).

Some of the soap makers make decent sized samples which make an inexpensive way to try some of their scents for very little cash outlay. The one ounce samples from Stirling and Barrister & Mann give me over 30 shaves each, and are under $5. You pay a little more per shave not buying in larger volumes, but it does let you try some soaps that you might be wary of buying a full container of.

The aftershave is just Clubman decanted in a recycled glass spray bottle.

One of my few antique store successes is a 1912. There are loads of them here, whereas almost all the other GEM / Ever-Ready models are pretty rare. Not that it's a problem - the 1912 is an excellent shaver! That one looks cool in brass - I didn't know those handles were also brass under the plating, but I guess it makes sense given the weight.

One of my few antique store successes is a 1912. There are loads of them here, whereas almost all the other GEM / Ever-Ready models are pretty rare. Not that it's a problem - the 1912 is an excellent shaver! That one looks cool in brass - I didn't know those handles were also brass under the plating, but I guess it makes sense given the weight.
The same place had a Shovelhead also, so I have it as well, but don't like it quite as much as the 1912 though it is also a lovely shaver. I could easily shave with the 1912 every day and be perfectly content. It is my most comfortable shaver.

I do like value vs just going for the cheapest.

Last week I was traveling and used my Leaf Twig/Nacet blade/Jack Black beard lube. Great kit. Super easy and no drama.

This week is my GC 68/KCG blade/Jack Black.

I really like the JB. Some might call it pricey, but the value is worth it to me and it eliminates the need for a brush

I do like value vs just going for the cheapest.

Last week I was traveling and used my Leaf Twig/Nacet blade/Jack Black beard lube. Great kit. Super easy and no drama.

This week is my GC 68/KCG blade/Jack Black.

I really like the JB. Some might call it pricey, but the value is worth it to me and it eliminates the need for a brush
Years ago, I just mostly used Williams Mug soap and Arko. I finally broke down and purchased some Tabac and a Mitchell's Wool Fat, which I considered costly then. I still have both original pucks since in a rotation, I just don't seem to use them up.

Nowadays, I don't consider them very expensive compared to what I pay for artisan products. I'm unsure how many shaves I've gotten out of those two soaps, but I will still be lathering them in a few years unless I commit to a 3017 on them. The cost per shave has to be ridiculously low for those products, and they deliver plenty of bang for the buck.

So I once considered $10 pucks of Tabac and MWF 'expensive', and thought I was splurging :)

There is no need to spend a lot to enjoy great quality DE shaves. I've great quality DE shaving equipment all purchased for under $15 for each item including:

• Razors: Weishi Long Handle (moderate aggressiveness) and King C. Gillette (mild) purchased for $12 and $13 (on sale) respectively. I first DE shaved in college when excellent sub $5 razors, like the Gillette Black Beauties (my first DE razor) were available in any Drug Store or Supermarket. Gave me a mind set that a good razor doesn't need to cost a lot.
  • Brushes: Razorock plissoft Monster, Big Bruce and Blondie boar all purchased for under $10 each on sale
  • Mugs: Van Der Hagen apothecary mugs purchased on-sale as part of a starter kit for under $15
  • Shaving Soaps and Creams: Some variety hear all purchased for between $1 (Williams/Arko) to just under $10 (D.R. Harris Soap/Cyril R. Salter Luxury Cream from Connaught Shaving). Have others such as Razorock What-the_Puck ($3 each), Mitchells Wool Fat and Tabac (Under $6-$7 each landed in the U.S. from Connaught Shaving last fall). My custom Van Der Williams blend is one of my best soaps for under $2 for a 3 oz puck.
  • Blades: Dorco, Derby and Astra SP blades purchased for between $4 and $10 per 100
For razors shave quality is all about the geometry around the blade - not the cost of the razor. My two preferred razors above provide the desired range of aggressiveness I like. Synthetic brushes deliver what many consider to be better performance than natural fibers for a fraction of the cost.

Even with the discontinuation of shaving soaps like Palmolive shave sticks and Williams there are still good budget options for $2-3 each such as Arko and What-the-Puck. For a few dollars more one gets a variety of scents and sometimes better post shave feel. One of the best values is the Cyril R. Salter 100 gram shaving soap for under $6 landed from Connaught.

Realize and respect that many of our fellow shavers prefer higher cost options due to the workmanship, materials or as high end collectables. Also many collect artisan soaps for the scent or for the container artwork that enhances their shave den.

Many posts refer to low cost razors as "starter" products. Reality is if they are well made and work for you there is no need to jump to a $50 or $100+ product. Have seen many posts from shavers who were disappointed that there was little improvement in shave quality or in some cases poorer shaves due to too much aggressiveness or a hard to hold handle.
Quick update regarding my new budget Razorock Adjust razor (rebranded Baili) that I added to my rotation this past November. Purchased it from Italian Barber for $7.99 on sale (regular price is $15). This is an excellent mild to moderate adjustable razor that used the same type of adjustment mechanism found in the classic Gillette adjustables from the 1960's to 1980's. The Rockwell T2 is the only other current production adjustable razor with this mechanism.

Shaves are excellent with a range of aggressiveness that fits nicely between my King C. Gillette and Weishi Long Handle. Well engineered with tight tolerances that allow me to just drop the blade in, set the adjustment and shave.

Details in my review thread on this razor via the link below:

Top Bottom