What's new

Brushes for travel, your favorites? Cases?

I am putting together my first Dopp kit for a summer of travel for both work and weddings. I am looking for my best bet for traveling with a nice brush. Are there any kinds of cases people like for traveling with their regular old stand by/favorite? Are there any travel brushes worth their salt?

This Omega S-Brush works really well as a travel brush. It's light, well built, whips up a great lather, dries fast, inexpensive.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I prefer smaller brushes so for me there is no such thing as a 'travel brush'. When travelling I simply put a Simpson Classic 1 or Wee Scot in the smaller Simpson travel tube. For longer trips I may take the Chubby 1 or Duke 3 in a larger tube. All of these brushes are in my regular rotation. I recently travelled for the first time in over a year, here is my kit.

forum.jpg

An Omega boar in its own travel tube, one Omega Bambino in a chromed vintage brush container (those you can get easily and cheap) and the Synth in one of those travel tubes (cut off in the picture). The Bambino is obviously the smallest package.
5F03783A-6447-43BB-B8C5-9FDEB52DE2F4.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
3A79FDE0-A270-47EF-AEB8-99E4C68B0493.jpeg

Omega 10777. My travel/holiday brush. Costs $11.95 over here in my part of Australia. A great little brush and won’t break the bank of you lose it or leave it behind. I leave the good ones at home.

I travel with my Omega 10077. It’s a small brush. Frankly, it’s been my daily driver too for a while. Since it broke in it feels better than my synthetic.

Last week, Maggards had free shipping for a $15.00 purchase. So I picked up a few things for my Dopp kit.

I went with the Omega 40033 shaving brush ($7.00) and added number 13 o-rings to the handle (credit to @Chan Eil Whiskers)

Stock:
40033.jpg

O-ring handle modification:

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

The Simpson small shaving brush tube ($5.00) is the perfect size for the Omega 40033, fits like a glove!
Simpson tube.jpg

I threw in a twist-up shaving soap container ($1.95) for an Arko stick and a three-pack of 12ml spray bottles ($1.35) for aftershave. $15.35 shipped!

With those purchases and my Gillette travel tech in the Altoids smalls tin, I'm ready to go.

Travel tech.jpg

In fact, the wife and I are hitting the road in about thirty minutes for our first getaway in almost eighteen (18) months!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My travel tube is one of the tubes I ship my brushes out; use it now for some 7 years. Drilled a couple holes in top and bottom. And for travel brush, I use a RV Shaving with a Muehle 19 mm STF knot. In my opinion, travel brushes are best made from synthetic materials that does not adsorb much water like animal hair. Forgot my badger tavel brush once, and it took on a moldy smell.

My travel tube is one of the tubes I ship my brushes out; use it now for some 7 years. Drilled a couple holes in top and bottom. And for travel brush, I use a RV Shaving with a Muehle 19 mm STF knot. In my opinion, travel brushes are best made from synthetic materials that does not adsorb much water like animal hair. Forgot my badger tavel brush once, and it took on a moldy smell.
I agree, Rudy. Synthetic is the way to go. I've tried traveling with a badger brush and if you're staying in a different place every night, it never gets a chance to adequately dry out. My synthetics can be towel-dried, packed away in a ventilated tube, and by evening, they're dry and ready for another shave.

* Characteristics required for the brush:
- Synthetic.
- Very cheap and possibly the one you care less about, so you don't mind if you lose it and don't mind see it dirty because you can't clean it as well as you could at home after the shave. So you don't take a Yaqi with you, unless, you plan on a long holiday.*
* Characteristics required for the container:
- Big enough to contain a brush.
- Ventilation hole to allow drying.

Result:

Wooden handle 24mm Omega old generation synthetic (imitation boar) in Muhle container. The 2 parts of the container screw on each other and it closes.

aa.png

* For long holidays, 22mm Yaqi synthetic.

I can only agree. For me it should be a good easy lathering quick drying synthetic. And everything should be affordable, replaceable. Ideal everything is also unbreakable. Shattered a brush once and it was not the finance but the annoyance of last week no brush.
So might replace the Yaqi by its metal sibling. And everything is under 30 usd…

how will you travel, how spartanly do you want to travel, how long will you be gone, what kind of brush do you prefer at home... there’s a lot of questions that will drive you’re choses.

my go to’s are an Omega 40033 and/or Ever Ready 150L With a new silvertip. They live in a 1 qt Dopp for carry-on/weekend trips. I have a larger dopp I can check baggage, throw in a car, whatever... that I can work out of for months. The small kit always stays with me on the road. I don’t like synths particularly, and have had no issues with naturals on the road, even shaving on a travel day.

EB0857E8-3582-4EF1-916B-3AA7D73AE030.jpeg

Top Bottom