What's new

Brush Storage Question

Hello,

Question on brush storage. Is it bad practice to store a synthetic/badger brush knot up, handle down? The brush has been shaken dry first.

Cheers
John

My experience, and I think the consensus on B&B, is that it doesn't really matter which way up a brush is kept after use. By far the more important factor is that the brush is allowed to dry completely, so should not be kept anywhere damp, in either the short or long term. Of course, to be absolutely sure a brush dries before it is next used, you need at least two to use in rotation! :001_smile

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It depends on whether or not your shaving brush storage location is on a Ley Line.

All I know is storing them wet, bristle side down in a shaving mug has been shown historically to be bad.

Just look on ebay. Eeeeeeewwwww!

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I just remodeled my master bath and now store the brushes (3) in a recessed medicine cabinet/vanity. I now store the handle down standing up.
Previously I removed one of the modular cabinet shelves and cut 2 slots for brushes using a scroll saw. The edges weren't smooth enough and shelf sagged.
If brushes start getting funky because of handle down storage. I may slot the shelves using a router table. I could also make a multi brush stand insert out of 1/2" Veranda sheeting.

Cheers
John

As far as the knot is concerned I have stored them booth ways, I now hang them after use for the day and then long term knot up. this has nothing to do with the knot rather the handles were getting hard water/soap build up from sitting on a non breathable granite counter

As far as the knot is concerned I have stored them booth ways, I now hang them after use for the day and then long term knot up. this has nothing to do with the knot rather the handles were getting hard water/soap build up from sitting on a non breathable granite counter

+1

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Hello,

Thanks for the info. I just remodeled my master bath and now store the brushes (3) in a recessed medicine cabinet/vanity. I now store the handle down standing up.
Previously I removed one of the modular cabinet shelves and cut 2 slots for brushes using a scroll saw. The edges weren't smooth enough and shelf sagged.
If brushes start getting funky because of handle down storage. I may slot the shelves using a router table. I could also make a multi brush stand insert out of 1/2" Veranda sheeting.

Cheers
John

The biggest issue with brushes in a cabinet is airflow. If you plan on putting wet brushes in there you need to find a way to ventilate the cabinet.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I agree that inside a closed cabinet is not the best. If you're worried about the brush you can really get it quite dry by whipping it (like snapping a whip) 10 or so times. Two things: 1. Get a good grip on the handle; 2. pick a location where the flying water spray won't be a problem (the shower area?).

Mind you, if you get it reasonably dry and leave it on an open shelf you really don't have anything to worry about. If you like a stand go ahead and use one. My entire collection has been on shelves for many years - no problems.

I hang the brush I used that day along with the razor of the day on a cheap Perfecto stand sitting on a bathroom shelf. Then when I switch out the brush and razor from the day before, I store most of my brushes standing on the handle with the knot up. Ultimately I don't think it matters so long as you allow your brushes to dry out completely between uses.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread where someone went all science guy on us and determined that due to the wicking action of the fibers, it doesn't matter.

Definitely don't put them away damp, though.

I use badger brushes exclusively and I only have one brush. I shave daily. I've used the following daily cleaning and storage method for 50 years, and I've never had a hint of a problem:

After shaving, briefly submerge the bristles in water and plunge up and down several times to expel the soap. Rinse, and gently squeeze out by hand excess water from bristles. Shake any remaining water out of bristles (10 seconds). Then rub damp bristles back and forth on a dry towel, north/south and east/west (10 seconds). Place brush in a dry and airy location, vertically, and knot up. I use the top of a dresser in an adjacent bedroom.

No problem, and it's easy and simple. My brushes last a very long time, maybe 20 years or more

It sounds like it should be ok storing handle down. I do dry as best I can before storing and brush dries by end of the day.
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
John

what i always do is rinse gentle squeeze of the knot then shake out then before i put it up i do 10 circles on a soft towel or a cotton shirt, definitely seems like enough without gettin stiffer stuck together bristles my theory is the circles splits up the badger knot and allows it to dry a millisecond faster lol but hey we all have our quirks and what not

Top Bottom