What's new

Brush repair

I have a Rudy Vey special editicn badger brush that I purchased in 2014. The glue has dried out and split although the knot is still attached. How can I get this repaired and what is the estimated cost? I think I paid about $100 for it.

Here's a photo of the brush

Attachments

• BadgerBrush.jpg
    BadgerBrush.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 41
I contacted Rudy Vey for his suggested solution. Thankfully, I have an extra medium-quality brush to use in the meantime.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tis but a flesh wound.
I have ZERO experience, so I'm asking what may be a really stupid question, but is the knot in there repairable? I mean, like putting some glue on it and pushing it down? Apologies if that is a really dumb idea.

I have ZERO experience, so I'm asking what may be a really stupid question, but is the knot in there repairable? I mean, like putting some glue on it and pushing it down? Apologies if that is a really dumb idea.

Not a dumb question. I was quoting a dumb movie though. It's from a monti python movie I half watched over 25 years ago. And I may have misquoted.
Anyway. It's probably possible. But @TinyTim should definitely wait to see what Rudy says.

Been seeing breaks like this relatively frequently from multiple makers in the past couple years. Did everyone change the glue they use or something? Don't think I'd ever seen a knot split like this five years ago.

I'd probably just change the knot. However, to repair it, I'd remove some of that excess old glue (a rotary tool of some kind would help, also some coarse sand paper in the 60-80 grit range), test-fitting it in the process to make sure I'm not removing too much. After I'm happy with the fit, I'd probably use something like Devcon 2-ton epoxy, or some slower epoxy adhesive. Make sure everything is dust free, then apply it to all the sides. Wait until the epoxy mix is starting to thicken up a little bit - it will become more sticky/tacky and less liquid. This helps when connecting the pieces together, so nothing leaks out of the sides. The amount of glue is going to be important, and I'd suggest to keep the coat thinner, rather than use too much. A little goes a long way, especially if the fit is tight - which you want it to be anyway. Then, connect the pieces, set the shape to make sure it looks good, and let it set. Leave it for 48 hours just to be safe, and then it should be good to go.

Top Bottom