What's new

Brush I cannot go wrong with?

OP here. Thanks to all for all of the advice I received over the past two days. I've a lot of thinking to do, I'm inclined to go cheaper (<$50) and do a lot more research... which is always fun.

PLENTY of options in that price range. I'm happy enough with both my WD Silvertip (24mm/45mm) and my SOC boar that I couldn't really say which one I use more. Only advice I'd give on WD is to go with 48mm-50mm loft, because 45 can give you a little bit too much backbone.

The SOC is a great choice because it sort of straddles line between badger and boar. Very soft tips with just enough backbone to tackle soaps (I use it regularly with Stirling, WSP, and B&M soaps, and I face lather almost exclusively. It's ALMOST too soft and floppy for face lathering, but the bristles give me just enough resistance. YMMV, but I consider this brush a great all 'rounder.

Boar: Badger and Blade Omega. $22 from westcoast shaving
Synthetic: Plisson $30 in store or online
Badger: TGN Finest knot. 24mm knot 50mm loft Bulb Shape. Custom handle from shaverjoe. I think its less than $80 delivered.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Plisson synthetic, Muhle VIVO or RYTMO, Muhle k series largest brush if you like badger feel
Muhle HJM synthetic or Muhle k series (except largest brush) or Grooming Co. if you like boar feel
Simpson's Wee Scot (badger)
Any Omega for boar

You should have one badger, one boar and one synthetic brush each at least. I recently purchased Semogue SOC and I also have Semogue 2000. Really love these brushes after the break in time. I also love my Edwin jagger Super Badger brush. For synthetic Muhle or Plisson should be the ideal choice.

I've only been wet shaving for a short period of time and I only have two brushes so take my opinion with the appropriately sized grain of salt. I absolutely love my Semogue 1460. It comes soft initially but it really blooms and becomes fantastic after a couple of weeks of use. The boar bristles are a beautiful blonde and the painted wood handle attractive and also comfortable in my fairly large hands. The only negative point is that it may not hold enough lather for a 4 pass shave, if that's your bag.

For reference, my other brush is a 'Perfecto' pure badger that I got for about $12 on Amazon. It isn't awful, but it has only seen one use since I got my Semogue.

I'm in your (the OP's) position. My only brush is an Omega 10066, and I'm looking for something a little classier, but also an all-rounder. I'm looking at the Plisson. From what I've heard (take this with a bag of salt) it lathers things pretty well and is almost as soft as a silver tip badger. I've read that it can be a little floppy, but if I want backbone, I've got my Omega. If you want a synthetic that has more backbone, you can ask all the knowledgeable people around here.

Take a good look at the Vie Long horse hair brushes, these are wonderful and in my opinion under rated brushes. A brush from the 13061 range would be an excellent choice.

There are a lot of different types of shaving brushes on the market and in the end, I think you really have to use several to find out what works for you. Funny thing is that I found 'my' brush a long time ago and yet keep searching for something.... different and perhaps better. My very favorite brush is an Omega 31064; the 3XXXX brushes are very different from the rest of the Omega line in that they have much, much finer hair. The knots are large and long and they can get a bit floppy after soaking but in the end, they still work well on the hardest soaps I have, have the best balance and handle for me of any brush I have yet tried and carry enough lather to easily coat my entire face in a single pass. It holds both heat and water well (I use a scuttle). They are also nice because they are soft enough to paint the lather when you are done applying it and that makes it much easier, at least for me, to see where I am shaving than leaving swirls and knots of lather behind. The brush is $22 new so even if you do not care for it, you should be able to sell it for 12 or 15 and have tried a very different type of Omega for a few dollars.

Brian

Hey everyone,

I have been wet shaving for 6 months and love it! I have an omega boar brush ($9 from amazon) and want to buy a brush that I just cannot go wrong with... without breaking the bank. I would like to buy a brush that I can use happily and will not go looking to get a better brush. I'd prefer to have one great/good brush and not a stable of 10 so-so brushes, despite my inclination to go cheap.

So far I am a shaving cream user, and a bowl latherer but plan on sampling some hard soaps (Stirling and Mikes are looking very good).

What brushes can you recommend for general all-round use (soaps and creams) that I just cannot go wrong with?

One other thing, I really don't understand the interrelationships behind loft, knot size, backbone and a brushes ability to lather cream /soap. If you could suggest a knot size, and loft I'd appreciate it.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!!!!

TIA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Definitely, the Plisson synthetic for L'occitane, before their all gone! . Pay $30, get a brush that does it just as well or better than any expensive silver tip badger.

Top Bottom