What's new

Brush Fail

Not everything goes well. I think I waited too long to get the blank into the pressure pot. I used Alumilite Dust for the orange and while it's possible it may not have been compatible with either the other mica powders or possibly the polyester resin since that's where it seems the pinholes occured, I kind of doubt it. In all liklihood the orange caused the resin to set faster, which certain colors will, and by the time I got the lid clamped and pot pressurized it was too late. Damn shame, I really like this one.

IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

@Claudel Xerxes - Thanks, I thought the colors were a cool mix too. Unfortunately there are a lotof pinholes in the orange, especially where it borders with the purple. I have plenty of this purple mica and I like, so you'll be seeing more of it.

@G.W. - Thank you. I'm digging the purple too, it has a really cool purple/pearl look to it, but not everywhere, so it adds a nice depth to the color in some places.

I have a idea what you're talking about Jay, and while most won't be able see or notice those pinholes, they'll drive the brush crazy every time we see them!
Awesome looking brush otherwise! I love the color combination.

After zooming in on the pictures, I was able to spot the pin holes. Those drive me crazy once in awhile as well.

I don't see the issue. Pinholes won't effect the use of the brush might even make it easier to hold.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I haven't turned any brushes, so I am just throwing out a hypothetical question. Could you put a coating of CA on there to close up the holes? Would they still be visible after?

The colors really do work well together.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Looks like Mardi Gras! Bummer about the holes. Like Steve asjed, maybe the holes could be filled with something? It still looks good to me.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. I've opted to throw this in with my others for a PIF rather than fix it.

@Graydog @Quijote - You can fill the pinholes with CA, but you need to do it before you start sanding or they fill with a white grit that is almost impossible to fully get out. Since I use a pressure pot I don't expect to get pinholes so I never bothered to check. I noticed them after going through all the grits but went ahead with the polishing anyway. I suppose if you used a magnifying glass and a needle you could clean them out but it would take a fair amount of time. It's easier and possibly less time consuming to just cast another and turn it from scratch.

Looks great to me. I would just say the pinholes (which I have a hard time seeing even when zoomed to the max) are for added grip. :thumbsup:

Well since it's just garbage, I'll dispose of it for you haha!

That is awesome looking!
It's certainly a beauty!
I could just imagine the large gathering Jay would have at his place if he were to announce the time and day he was going to chuck that handle into trash! Then the huge wrestling match to see who could get it first!

It's certainly a beauty!
I could just imagine the large gathering Jay would have at his place if he were to announce the time and day he was going to chuck that handle into trash! Then the huge wrestling match to see who could get it first!
No doubt about that!
He had another on up on the market place some time ago that I really REALLY liked as much as this one, but I missed out on it. Someday I will have one. Even if I have to camp out by his trashcan. :ninja::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom