What's new

Brush Chronicles No. 10 Omega Pro 10049 Boar

Great lathers, gents! As an aside, the La Toja stick is one of the finest soaps available, and is my standard travel soap, as I don't need to pack an AS.

I have gone back to the Arlington soap which I used on Day 1 of the Chronicles to see if things have changed in the past two weeks regarding my thoughts about this brush. Arlington is a great soap and lathers well with almost any brush- the Omega Pro being no exception.

Starting with a damp brush

After a minute on the puck

A few drops of water and 30 seconds in the bowl

After a minute of lathering

I will come back and add more thoughts to this thread later, but at the moment I would first like to thank Shawn for his help in presenting this Edition of the Brush Chronicles and to thank all of you for reading and contributing to this thread. My eyes have certainly been opened to the world of boar brushes and I can see that they are a great way to make lather without the need to spend loads of cash. As Bob suggested, a perfect suggestion for the newbie which can stay in the den and provide good service for years and years.

Great work gents!

This thread has certainly made me appreciate my little Omega more. The 1305 has sat on the sidelines for the last few weeks.

Edit: BTW - Can someone tell me how long it takes for this large boar to completely dry?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have enjoyed this thread as well. It of course prompted me to purchase an Omega boar and it has been a very nice experience using it primarily over the past couple of weeks.

Great work gents!

This thread has certainly made me appreciate my little Omega more. The 1305 has sat on the sidelines for the last few weeks.

Edit: BTW - Can someone tell me how long it takes for this large boar to completely dry?

My Omega is usually dry the next morning. My bathroom gets pretty warm in the afternoon, it gets direct sunlight from about noon until the sun goes down.

Nice job fellas :thumbsup:

This thread has done some good enabling around the forum...

Excellent! And this is a brush that wont set you back very much money either.

Thanks and great thread gentlemen! I guess the next time I place an order, I'll have to include an Omega Pro.

I ordered one of these as well. (along with an EJ razor) They both should be at my house on Tuesday, so I get to test them both out on Saturday morning when I get home. I'm pretty pumped.

Excellent, excellent chronicle! I have no choice but to get another Omega to give them another chance. I was much to quick to judge the first time.

Ok folks your really selling me on a 49, however I'm alittle worried about the size. I'm currently using a VDH Boar and was wondering how it compared in size to the 49? I really like the looks of the 10065, does it compare well to the 49? Thanks

Ok folks your really selling me on a 49, however I'm alittle worried about the size. I'm currently using a VDH Boar and was wondering how it compared in size to the 49? I really like the looks of the 10065, does it compare well to the 49? Thanks

The 49 is a better brush than VDH. It is larger and it lathers better. And it doesn't have the shedding problem that VDH has. I'm currently lathering Williams with it, and my 81052 banded boar.

Excellent, excellent chronicle! I have no choice but to get another Omega to give them another chance. I was much to quick to judge the first time.

I was going to get rid of my Omega Pro because it didn't get much use. I'm really glad that I joined the Brush Chronicles.

I think that if you give it a chance you will love the Pro. One thing that I discovered (in the past two days) is that it really holds enough lather for three or four passes if you are face lathering. My Semogue LE doesn't hold as much lather and I end up making more lather during the shave if I am face lathering.

I'm really glad that I joined the Brush Chronicles.

It was great to have you on board Shawn and it is nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself as well. Overall, I was very impressed with the Omega Pro as well and it was no chore to use it for these two weeks. Those of you who know me realise that I have a bit of a brush "thing" going on and I can't really see myself using this brush too often because I have so many other choices. It is therefore up for a PIF.

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen- it is nice to know that our efforts have been able to produce a worthwhile edition of the Chronicles. Please feel free to keep adding pictures, thoughts and questions to this thread.

Thank you guys for doing this i am really interested in grabbing one of these now. I will actually with my next order from WCS, they have them for less than $10.... cant beat that...

Know the chronicle is "over" but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I was lucky enough to receive one of these from Pozzska (thanks again Nathan!), and have been using it for a few days now, here are my thoughts.

This is a HUGE brush. I'm sure there are bigger, but they're probably for painting houses or something.

Handle is a bit cheap feeling (seems hollow where as even my cheap VDH seems to be solid.

That being said, while applying lather (I bowl lather exclusively), the brush feels smaller than it is, I don't have any issues getting around with it, and I seem to send soap up my nose less with this than the VDH because when wet and lathered, the Omega stays together better and doesn't fan out as much (that may change with time, we will see).

While being "cheap" feeling, the handle does the job, feels decent in the hand, and probably is better than a solid handle, because of it's size I think if it were heavier, it would get unwieldy. And I mean c'mon, it's a $10 brush, I wasn't expecting solid gold laquered with baby seal tears.

Three shaves in and a few test lathers, have yielded not a single lost hair (my VDH leaves several per shave, has since new, and shows no signs of slowing down until they're gone). The new boar stank is diminishing, although after a few soaps have gone through, it doesn't smell bad anymore, it has a unique odor to it, but by no means gross, and you actually have to smell the brush to notice, real up close.

I'm kind of surprised how soft the brush is already. Hairs aren't splitting just yet, but isn't scratchy (to me at least), at all. I can only imagine what a $150 Simpson, or even a TGN finest would feel like!

Guys, if you're in the market for a new inexpensive brush (NEWBS PAY ATTENTION), this would make a great addition to the den. For around $10 you really can't go wrong. If I were to purchase one myself (probably won't need to, because by the time this thing is dead, either I will be too, or I'll finally have struck the lottery and that $150 brush won't seem outrageous, I would probably go with the chrome finish handle, and if they offer it in the smaller brushes, a slightly smaller brush. Even at that, the size is nice for making up lather (still figuring out how much water to leave in this thing, it holds a LOT of water, not hard to make something soupy if you're not careful), and the length of the knot gets the handle clear of the bowl, so no more clinking the handle off the side.

If you got an extra $10 bones on your next online shopping fiasco, or are looking for your first brush, throw one in the cart, you won't be disappointed. (Unless you're so super picky you can't be bothered with lowly boar, go get a laser treatment and give away your gear.....)

Know the chronicle is "over" but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I was lucky enough to receive one of these from Pozzska (thanks again Nathan!), and have been using it for a few days now, here are my thoughts.

This is a HUGE brush. I'm sure there are bigger, but they're probably for painting houses or something.

Handle is a bit cheap feeling (seems hollow where as even my cheap VDH seems to be solid.

That being said, while applying lather (I bowl lather exclusively), the brush feels smaller than it is, I don't have any issues getting around with it, and I seem to send soap up my nose less with this than the VDH because when wet and lathered, the Omega stays together better and doesn't fan out as much (that may change with time, we will see).

While being "cheap" feeling, the handle does the job, feels decent in the hand, and probably is better than a solid handle, because of it's size I think if it were heavier, it would get unwieldy. And I mean c'mon, it's a $10 brush, I wasn't expecting solid gold laquered with baby seal tears.

Three shaves in and a few test lathers, have yielded not a single lost hair (my VDH leaves several per shave, has since new, and shows no signs of slowing down until they're gone). The new boar stank is diminishing, although after a few soaps have gone through, it doesn't smell bad anymore, it has a unique odor to it, but by no means gross, and you actually have to smell the brush to notice, real up close.

I'm kind of surprised how soft the brush is already. Hairs aren't splitting just yet, but isn't scratchy (to me at least), at all. I can only imagine what a $150 Simpson, or even a TGN finest would feel like!

Guys, if you're in the market for a new inexpensive brush (NEWBS PAY ATTENTION), this would make a great addition to the den. For around $10 you really can't go wrong. If I were to purchase one myself (probably won't need to, because by the time this thing is dead, either I will be too, or I'll finally have struck the lottery and that $150 brush won't seem outrageous, I would probably go with the chrome finish handle, and if they offer it in the smaller brushes, a slightly smaller brush. Even at that, the size is nice for making up lather (still figuring out how much water to leave in this thing, it holds a LOT of water, not hard to make something soupy if you're not careful), and the length of the knot gets the handle clear of the bowl, so no more clinking the handle off the side.

If you got an extra $10 bones on your next online shopping fiasco, or are looking for your first brush, throw one in the cart, you won't be disappointed. (Unless you're so super picky you can't be bothered with lowly boar, go get a laser treatment and give away your gear.....)

Congratulations again on being the winner of Nathan's brush. Great to hear that you are enjoying it!

Thanks for sharing your observations. :smile:

The 48 Omega is a great brush. I use it regularly despite I have other OMega, Semouge, Muhle brushes. The 60mm height of the loft is perfect. I found Omega Pro series brushes with 65 mm loft too large and uncomfortable.

Top Bottom