What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Just received these 2 beauties from a trade with a friend. Thater and Rooney

1.jpg

2.jpg

Great question about the difference between bleached & unbleached boar brushes. A bleached boar bristle has been chemically treated (I assume it is treated with bleach) to lighten/whiten the bristle. An unbleached boar bristle has not been treated in such a manner.

The difference in performance - an unbleached boar brush seems to take many more cycles of wetting & drying, or lathering, rinsing & drying to soften & split the tips so the brush is softer. An unbleached, to me, provides more firmness & backbone when lathering. The bristles feel as if they have more body/structure to them. When the brush is broken in, the soft plush tips combined with the backbone provides an incredibly soft firm shave experience. It's difficult to describe. The backbone & firmness are not a negative, & it is in no way a scrubby wire brush feeling. On the contrary, the cloud-soft tips with the backbone behind them creates a marvelous sensation.

A bleached boar bristle seems to have less body to it. I use the term body instead of thickness because I don't want to suggest a different thickness of bristle between bleached & unbleached. There seems to be a different structure to the bristle that the bleaching causes. But when a brush is packed densely, the less body/structure does not create floppiness in the brush, it just seems like a finer bristle going over your face. A bleached boar will also soften & develop the split tips that help create the softness so many talk about.

I enjoy talking about boar because it helps me better understand why I like boar so much. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We are all here to help & learn from each other.
I guess you prefer unbleached boar due to the firmness.
I will think about it because my boar bushes I think are bleached except one made by Omega for Lea.
I feel this brush hard and scratchy. Maybe it is because of the few use and the fact that some bristles are inverted and instead of having the tips, the brush has the root which doesn't split

Brushes 1.jpg

The two on the left are my old brushes, been using them for years.

A few weeks ago I decided on a change of pace and bought the three on the right. My new favorite is the Simpson Trafalgar T1 ... it seems perfect for me, still small-ish, and it lathers and performs with awesome ease.

The two on the right, well, they feel so BIG to me, after using small brushes for years. The beehives are beautifully made, and feel great in my hand. But oh man, they hog-up enough lather for a 12-pass shave, lol. Of the two beehives, I like the synth brush better than the badger, but I'm still just trying to get used to the size.

Happy shaves to all ...

View attachment 1622670

The two on the left are my old brushes, been using them for years.

A few weeks ago I decided on a change of pace and bought the three on the right. My new favorite is the Simpson Trafalgar T1 ... it seems perfect for me, still small-ish, and it lathers and performs with awesome ease.

The two on the right, well, they feel so BIG to me, after using small brushes for years. The beehives are beautifully made, and feel great in my hand. But oh man, they hog-up enough lather for a 12-pass shave, lol. Of the two beehives, I like the synth brush better than the badger, but I'm still just trying to get used to the size.

Happy shaves to all ...
for me a 24mm synth just holds enough lather for a 3 pass shave :)

Yesterday, I received my first brush purchased from Rudy Vey. I discovered Rudy through all of you, so thank you. I am new to B&B so hopefully this will appear correctly. Rudy's handle is fantastic. My hand loves holding it, and the butterscotch color is warm and alive. As for the 26mm two-band badger knot from Shavemac that Rudy favors, the shave (with a Gillette Super Speed red tip and Scotland's Castle Forbes 1445 shave cream) was sensational. The brush loves lather. And Shavemac, in my estimation based on owning more than 20 brushes, is among the world's finest knot makers. I own a 28mm Shavemac Americana XL bulb, which is soft and firm with zero shedding. Rudy's brush has the same feel, in a fan. But most of all, Rudy is a joy to do business with. Shaving is craft, akin to sculpting. Hands, contour and technique become crucial. Which is why it's special to shave with a brush made to Rudy's standards. As a craftsman, his soul is in brush, which makes the shave extra special. Worth every dollar. Thanks for reading.
IMG_7325.jpg

Yesterday, I received my first brush purchased from Rudy Vey. I discovered Rudy through all of you, so thank you. I am new to B&B so hopefully this will appear correctly. Rudy's handle is fantastic. My hand loves holding it, and the butterscotch color is warm and alive. As for the 26mm two-band badger knot from Shavemac that Rudy favors, the shave (with a Gillette Super Speed red tip and Scotland's Castle Forbes 1445 shave cream) was sensational. The brush loves lather. And Shavemac, in my estimation based on owning more than 20 brushes, is among the world's finest knot makers. I own a 28mm Shavemac Americana XL bulb, which is soft and firm with zero shedding. Rudy's brush has the same feel, in a fan. But most of all, Rudy is a joy to do business with. Shaving is craft, akin to sculpting. Hands, contour and technique become crucial. Which is why it's special to shave with a brush made to Rudy's standards. As a craftsman, his soul is in brush, which makes the shave extra special. Worth every dollar. Thanks for reading.View attachment 1623395

I love it! I have a butterscotch Shavemac 28mm. Great brush. I also have a butterscotch RV inbound, now. It has cleared customs. I am awaiting delivery.

I love it! I have a butterscotch Shavemac 28mm. Great brush. I also have a butterscotch RV inbound, now. It has cleared customs. I am awaiting delivery.
Hi Dan,

It's glorious. The weight, feel and smoothness delights the hand. And the brush just loves cream, like a Jack Russell terrier at the beach. Happy bristles. Let me know how it is once it's through customs.

Marc

Speaking of Rudy, I also had him repair one of my favorite brushes from Riva in Italy. The knot had come loose and needed a bit of shaft restoration and re-afixing. Now works like a charm. Before photo (out of the box) and after photo following my shave—using a Gillette Super Speed Regular flare tip Z1 (first quarter of first production year) and Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver shaving soap. Glorious job by Rudy. Brush was so happy to be back in action.

IMG_7326.jpg
IMG_7328.jpg

Top Bottom